Triglot
Canada
Joined 4242 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 19 of 28
21 August 2015 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
If you are not making real progress in 6 months, the chance of getting up the ladder in 6 more weeks is slim.

There is a TV series from Singapore: "Say It! 好好说慢慢讲". You can find the series on YouTube and other Chinese video sites. Basically you have a woman trying to learn English and a man trying to learn Chinese. The dialog and the subtitles are bilingual so it is easy to pick up the conversation both ways. Most Chinese drama series from Ch.8 Singapore have both English subtitles and Chinese captions. Singapore people tend to speak like Indians with English phrases inserted into their Chinese /Hindi from time to time.

Apart from learning some characters, it would take many hours of listening to get your skills up to be able to listen to TV drama series. I'd start with an old series like 中国达人秀, the Chinese version of "America's Got Talent" and "Britain's Got Talent". The format is basically the same with the contestants introducing themselves followed by what they are going to perform and finally the vote from the 3 judges. Even singing competitions are common in China including 星光大道.

If you like cartoons, the old series from China 大耳朵图图 is entertaining to watch. The boy who is the main character gets into discussions on adult topics through the eye of a child.

I like documentaries especially history because I studied the subject in school. The last series I got into from China is 经典传奇. The other series from Taiwan is 真相 Hold 得住. Between the 2 there are many topics covered including the Egyptian pyramid, Mayan civilization, migration of prehistoric people, etc. Chinese captions are available for both series. You pick up a lot of vocabulary. Sometimes you may be stopping a video in many places to pick up words & phrases like the Chinese 尼安德塔 for Neanderthal man. When you get into a topic you know well makes learning easier.

Edited by shk00design on 21 August 2015 at 12:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5034 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 20 of 28
21 August 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
If you are not making real progress in 6 months, the chance of getting up the ladder in 6 more weeks is slim.

There is a TV series from Singapore: "Say It! 好好说慢慢讲". You can find the series on YouTube and other Chinese video sites. Basically you have a woman trying to learn English and a man trying to learn Chinese. The dialog and the subtitles are bilingual so it is easy to pick up the conversation both ways. Most Chinese drama series from Ch.8 Singapore have both English subtitles and Chinese captions. Singapore people tend to speak like Indians with English phrases inserted into their Chinese /Hindi from time to time.

Apart from learning some characters, it would take many hours of listening to get your skills up to be able to listen to TV drama series. I'd start with an old series like 中国达人秀, the Chinese version of "America's Got Talent" and "Britain's Got Talent". The format is basically the same with the contestants introducing themselves followed by what they are going to perform and finally the vote from the 3 judges. Even singing competitions are common in China including 星光大道.

If you like cartoons, the old series from China 大耳朵图图 is entertaining to watch. The boy who is the main character gets into discussions on adult topics through the eye of a child.

I like documentaries especially history because I studied the subject in school. The last series I got into from China is 经典传奇. The other series from Taiwan is 真相 Hold 得住. Between the 2 there are many topics covered including the Egyptian pyramid, Mayan civilization, migration of prehistoric people, etc. Chinese captions are available for both series. You pick up a lot of vocabulary. Sometimes you may be stopping a video in many places to pick up words & phrases like the Chinese 尼安德塔 for Neanderthal man. When you get into a topic you know well makes learning easier.

I'd second the Say It show from Singapore, in fact any of the channel 8 programs are good and normally have English & Chinese sub-titles. You might also want to look at Growing up with Chinese.

cherryblossom
Diglot
United States
Joined 3199 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 21 of 28
22 August 2015 at 2:45am | IP Logged 
This post has been deleted.

Edited by cherryblossom on 24 June 2017 at 5:06pm

cherryblossom
Diglot
United States
Joined 3199 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 22 of 28
25 August 2015 at 1:16am | IP Logged 

Edited by cherryblossom on 24 June 2017 at 5:06pm

cherryblossom
Diglot
United States
Joined 3199 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 23 of 28
29 August 2015 at 12:50am | IP Logged 

Edited by cherryblossom on 24 June 2017 at 4:59pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5034 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 24 of 28
29 August 2015 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I like to watch cooking shows in Chinese when I procrastinate, which is pretty much always. You might like some of these shows on YouTube.

Amanda Tastes
Boonir Bears or Bust
喜羊羊与灰太狼之飞马奇遇记
Food Source / 食在好源头 4 - Episode 1

I have a few more links on my log

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version