Triglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 17 of 21
01 September 2015 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
In lieu of "I don't know" or "I dunno," in informal speech I sometimes/frequently drop every single
consonant: "Ah-uh-oh." Tends to come out kind of nasal. I would only write "I don't know" (or even "I
do not know," since I'm really uptight about writing properly, but I'm not self-conscious about
speaking that way in a professional setting among peers.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3644 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 18 of 21
01 September 2015 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
In lieu of "I don't know" or "I dunno," in informal speech I sometimes/frequently drop every single consonant: "Ah-uh-oh." Tends to come out kind of nasal. I would only write "I don't know" (or even "I do not know," since I'm really uptight about writing properly, but I'm not self-conscious about speaking that way in a professional setting among peers.

I do precisely this when speaking, but only to family of friends. In writing, I'll write things like 'dunno' and 'gonna' or 'Imma', but for the rest I avoid abbreviations or chat speak (things like b, b4, wuu2, 2nite etc.), save for when talking toone of my closest friends. That is an in-joke between us more than anything else.

But I know a few extremely clever people who write this way. In particular, a bilingual friend* who always writes like that when making very well reasoned arguments and statements, and a German friend who speaks French and English fluently, but write them both using chat speak. It doesn't lessen my opinion of him. In fact, it raises it because I've never quite gotten the hang of it.

*And something the OP might find interesting: that bilingual friend also uses 'finna', which somehow means 'gonna'. I don't get the relationship, but if you see/hear 'I'm finna go do this', it means 'I'm going to go and do this'.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kimchizzle
Diglot
United States
Joined 3207 days ago

24 posts - 44 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 21
01 September 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I'm finna go do this, comes from,
I'm fixing to go do this.
This is an idimatic expression for:

I'm getting ready to go do this.
Or, I'm going to go do this.

The way to use this expression is:
I'm fixing to + verb.
I'm fixing to eat, and I'll be over when I'm finished.
I'm getting ready to eat and I'll be over when I'm done.

This idiom is only used in informal speech and writing though, mot formal.

Edited by Kimchizzle on 01 September 2015 at 9:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5163 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 20 of 21
01 September 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
"Fixing to" is quite common in the rural south. I don't think of it as informal or an idiom. It is quite normal English in certain parts of the country.

Kimchizzle
Diglot
United States
Joined 3207 days ago

24 posts - 44 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 21
02 September 2015 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Yes normal in areas, but still an idiomatic expression because the parts wouldn't make sense when translated into another language.

Lots of idioms can be common, but they are still idiomatic.

My nose is running.

Hold your horses just a minute.

Watch out, he's a bit of a live wire.

The detective looked through the car with a fine-toothed comb.

These idiomatic expressions are common and obvious to a native who has heard them many times over. But they are not obvious in meaning to a non-native without being explained.

Edited by Kimchizzle on 02 September 2015 at 4:56am

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version