Norway
Joined 6391 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 17 of 57
19 December 2006 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
Silvestris wrote:
Depending on which psychological school you subscribe to, we have a language aquisition device that is prominent in early childhood. It fades as you get older EXCEPT if you keep on using it. I don't see why someone who has been studying languages since they were 12 just suddenly hits a brick wall at midnight on their 20th or even 30th birthday. I think it has to do with free time, and I am not going to even believe for one moment that anyone younger than me could do a better job because they have a natural ability.

I don't think anyone suggested it'd be a brick wall effect. In fact, the use of the word "fade" sort of implies otherwise... Personally, I don't think that the brain loses the language acquisition device (the mere fact that you can learn to use correct grammar without having learned the rules, but simply having read or heard a lot of sentences, sort of points that way), but we do lose the willingness to spend four years immersed in the language without speaking a word. Language acquisition the way a child learns is pretty inefficient.

If you learn the way adults do, that is, study grammar, memorize vocabulary, all that jazz, the youngsters have no advantages, except for the extra time (which they spoil by running around in the mud instead of learning languages, those idiots). I started studying French when I was 12, and kept on doing it until 18, and I still couldn't speak in anything but the present tense (and hardly even that). At my present age of 23, I took a four-months course in French, and now I'm fluent (albeit basically so). Ari junior ain't got nuthin' on me.

The other notions of having less time left if you're old still apply, of course. But you can learn a new language in a year if you study hard, so learning ten languages before you die should be accomplishable even if you're a monoglot until your fiftieth birthday. But it'll take a lot of work, and if you haven't excercised your brain at all in your life, it might be too weak to make it. A healthy fifty-year-old brain should be able to learn ten languages before it kicks the bucket, however, barring any unforseen traffic or cardiovascular accidents.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6373 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 18 of 57
01 January 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Bravo Ari! A very articulate and interesting post. I don't think I have anything more to add.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 19 of 57
29 January 2007 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
It's possible to learn languages quite well after 20. I learned Spanish when I was 12, but my 3rd language was Swahili, at 38. I learned Thai at 42, Japanese at 44, and I'm working on Mandarin at the age of 45.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6677 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 20 of 57
30 January 2007 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
What method have you used to learn these languages, leosmith?

leosmith
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Studies: Tagalog

Message 21 of 57
30 January 2007 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
What method have you used to learn these languages, leosmith?

A little bit of everything, which was good because I found out what works for me. Here is the method I'm using for Mandarin, which I will probably use for all future languages, in roughly this order.
1. Pimsleur
2. Add 2000 vocabulary words asap, without worrying about perfect understanding.
3. Hire a tutor for conversation only, writing down all vocabulary and memorizing before the next lesson. Try to do five 1hr classes per week for 4 to 8 weeks.
4. Work through a really good but brief text that covers all the basic grammar.
5. Add vocabulary (if marrying)
6. Read, read, read (if marrying)
Special tools:
A. Supermemo. All vocabulary should be entered after it has been initially memorized. Sample sentences of all grammar points, and words with confusing usage should also be entered.
B. Self-recordings. Record all sentences in supermemo; play during commute.
C. Non-Roman script to be learned out of context, with workbooks and such, at an early stage.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, but that's about it.
5 persons have voted this message useful

adoggie
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 6342 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese*
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 22 of 57
31 January 2007 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
I feel that it is definitely feasible to learn any language after the mysterious age of 20. I, for instance, am currently very busy with school work and preparation for medical school, and therefore cannot devote as much time as I would like into learning new languages. I am planning, however, to focus a lot more of my time on various languages once I finish my residency, etc. Actually, I am planning on learning approximately 10 languages - which is just a target number.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5656 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 57
28 September 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
POLYGLOT AFTER AGE 20? - YES, PLEASE!!!

Let me give you my personal example:

1. I was 21 when I started learning Dutch.
2. I was 24 when I started learning Italian.
3. I was 25 when I realized that I have a kind of language talent.
4. I was 31 when I started learning Esperanto
5. I was 32 when I started learning Spanish
6. I was 33 when I started learning Turkish and 46 when I restarted learning it.
7. I was 40 when I started learning Danish and I will be 48 when I will restart learning it.

When I was under 20 years old, I wasn't a polyglot and I would have never got the idea of becoming one. Languages weren't so important for me at that time.

Is this encouraging for people here, who are older than 20?

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 03 December 2012 at 9:23am

7 persons have voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6181 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 24 of 57
29 September 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
I don't think there are many polyglots under 20. More often than not they learned
most of their languages at least partly after 20. If you know three languages by 20 then
it'll be easier to pick up another 6 within the same language families and you have a
head start, of course, but it's not necessary. I'm 19 and I speak French fairly well and
can hold a conversation in German - I also have some knowledge of Japanese. I plan to
learn at least 6 languages during the course of my life, so I'll be one such person.

Edited by zerothinking on 29 September 2009 at 7:53am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version