Joined 5323 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 33 of 57
29 March 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
m32amir wrote:
I started learning German and Portuguese after I turned 20. I'm really looking forward to see what will happen.

You have a good example: I started learning Dutch at 22 (= your age) and now I speak and write it on a (near-) native level.

Fasulye

Fasulye, thank you very much for the encouraging example!

I started to learn French at 25, and I've been constantly worrying that I would never be able to reach a near-native level.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5656 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 57
02 April 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
starst wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
m32amir wrote:
I started learning German and Portuguese after I turned 20. I'm really looking forward to see what will happen.

You have a good example: I started learning Dutch at 22 (= your age) and now I speak and write it on a (near-) native level.

Fasulye

Fasulye, thank you very much for the encouraging example!

I started to learn French at 25, and I've been constantly worrying that I would never be able to reach a near-native level.

It's not so much the age that counts, but more the circumstances that you have to be involved in the foreign language. If you are lucky with a certain language that you are very dedicated in learning plus you have native speaker contacts plus you can travel to the country to speak the language there, then you have the chance to reach a near-native level in the foreign language.

With Dutch I had and still have such supportive circumstances and therefore I can maintain my (near-) nativel level in this language easily.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 02 April 2010 at 7:13pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tobagatin
Triglot
Croatia
Joined 5941 days ago

11 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Croatian*, English, French
Studies: Italian, Russian

Message 35 of 57
07 April 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
It is definitively not important how old you are, but how MOTIVATED you are. All the people who managed to
learn several languages underline one basic fact - MOTIVATION. If you persist in your search long enough, you
will find the method that suits you the best. Then you will just have to use cleverly your free time and you will
need more or less one year until you learn the language of your choice. But to master it, you will need several
years...

Very important thing, from my experience, is a regular exposure to the languages you are wishing to learn. For
that reason I am trying now to regularly use several languages on which I am working. Music, movies, literature,
news...Sometimes actively and sometimes passively, but I am trying as much as I can to listen, to read or to
speak in those languages in order to refresh them constantly, and not to lose them rapidly especially if my
knowledge is "fresh" (which is a natural process for almost every human being).

One very important thing that was for me a turning point in my language learning experience, is the fact that I
am not ashamed anymore to use my knowledge. I have finally realised that I can learn a language only if I
speak it, and even in the case when I know only a few words in a certain language...

My experience:

Until the age of 20, I was learning English, Italian, Latin and old Greek, and have wasted a lot of time for
nothing. In those days I was thinking that only geniuses can master several languages.
Afterwords, after reading a lot about many polyglots, and after having met several people who were able to
speak several languages properly, I realised that I was having a wrong approach. I have changed my method,
and started learning French when I was 25. When I was 26 Farsi entered in my life. I started to play a bit with
Russian when I was 27, while on the other hand I have started to study German intensively 3 moths ago. Having
slightly changed the Assimil method, I have found out that it suits the best to my needs.

I have mastered neither one of those languages, and will probably not for a long time. But the most important
thing is that I do not care anymore for that. Since I have adopted aforementioned views about my passion, I
have ameliorated my English, French, Italian, while my German has already attained B1 European level
(approximately). Therefore, due to the fact that I have realised that AGE IS NOT IMPORTANT FOR LEARNING
LANGUAGES, I can now engage in longer conversations in several languages. As it brings a huge smile on my
face every time I use those languages, I would deeply advise any one among you who still believe that they
cannot learn more languages, to read biographies of those people like Prof Arguelles or Kato Lomb are.
Therefore, learn the languages you like and use them regularly in any possible way, and you will see in a couple
of years that becoming a polyglot is possible even for you, no matter how old or young you are.

I apologise if I was too long, just wanted to give to the forum at least a bit of that what it has given to me:)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Valicore
Hexaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5153 days ago

10 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Catalan, Italian
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 36 of 57
08 April 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
It's never too late! The real key is that after you learn, say, two languages, your mind
has already started to build and become familiar with those neural pathways that are used
when you are learning a language (regardless of which language it is). You can think of
languages like puzzles - as you get better at solving puzzles, you get better at putting
solving all puzzles, not just a specific one. It's the same with languages! The more
languages you learn, the easier it is to learn a new language.

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5148 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 37 of 57
13 April 2010 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
once you have two languages down, no matter your age, learning languages become easy.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5843 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 38 of 57
13 April 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
tobagatin wrote:
Until the age of 20, I was learning English, Italian, Latin and old Greek, and have wasted a lot of time for
nothing. In those days I was thinking that only geniuses can master several languages.
Afterwords, after reading a lot about many polyglots, and after having met several people who were able to
speak several languages properly, I realised that I was having a wrong approach. I have changed my method,
and started learning French when I was 25. ..

IMO, you haven't wasted your time. Even if you "failed" to master these languages, they're not obliterated. Just keeping a low profile somewhere in a dark corner of your mind. You can get them up to a decent level quicker than a language you have never studied. At least I'm sure you haven't wasted your time with English ;).

I think it's never too late to learn the language, but exposure at an early age can be really beneficial. The more the better.

Edited by Sennin on 13 April 2010 at 6:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

RagsToRich
United Kingdom
therealmind.com
Joined 5212 days ago

11 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 39 of 57
25 August 2010 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I'm far from a polygot, in-fact I only speak two languages right now. But I know an awful lot about psychology, theories and models of the mind; and I can tell you that there are huge benefits to learning languages when you are older. Even more benefits, on a personal level, to learning languages when you are older than when you are young.

It may well be that learning languages while younger is easier. However, as with most things, the more of a challenge something is the more benefits can be found under the surface.

With language learning after-youth you are excercising a quality of the brain called "neuro-plasticity." The very process of teaching your mind to do something it has never before done, and in-fact resists somewhat, is an activity which increases the neuro-plasticity of your brain.

The advantages to this are numerous. Training will-power, training adaptability of the mind, keeping your mind "young", training the ability to change and create habits, etc etc.

The best thing about this? The "harder" (or at least, more "abnormal") it is for you to learn the language, as in the harder it is for you to concentrate, force yourself to drill, force yourself to understand, and learn - the more actual real-time benefit you will gain from the process of doing it.

In many ways learning new mental skills, such as languages, can be seen as a great way of keeping your brain in shape. Much like going the gym or taking a morning run to keep your body in shape.

Rich
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 57
25 August 2010 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
I agree with RagsToRich: one of the benefits of studying languages or other demanding subjects at an advanced age is allegedly that the onset of age-related dementia is delayed. And then it is less important whether you become nearnative in your target languages.

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version