Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
57 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next >>
Boondocksaint
United States
Joined 6411 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 57
31 October 2006 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
There is a strong theory that children have the easist time learing multiple languages, as their brains are able to absorb grammar, vocab, etc. easier.
I was wondering, have there been any famous polygots who have learned many languages after the age of, say, 20?
2 persons have voted this message useful

WANNABEAFREAK
Diglot
Hong Kong
cantonese.hk
Joined 6639 days ago

144 posts - 185 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Cantonese
Studies: French

Message 2 of 57
01 November 2006 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Steve Kaufmann.

1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6580 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 57
01 November 2006 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
This board's most prolific polyglot, Ardaschir, learned most of his languages in his thirties. (He speaks over twenty.)

He's not particularly famous, though. :)

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6680 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 4 of 57
01 November 2006 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Kato Lomb, from Hungary. Check out the thread about her.

Edited by Journeyer on 01 November 2006 at 5:32am

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6471 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 57
02 November 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
Such people exist, but it is probably much easier to start out well before 20. It takes time to learn lots of languages, and younger people have more years ahead of them. Older learners also seem likely to have more and greater other responsibilities.

At the same time, I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone over 20--or even much older--from learning lots of languages.

Zelaia
Tetraglot
El Salvador
Joined 6621 days ago

29 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, FrenchC1, English, Portuguese
Studies: Kurdish

Message 6 of 57
03 November 2006 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Personally I think that most of people can become a polyglot after 20, it's just a matter of courage and determination.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6702 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 7 of 57
03 November 2006 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Zelaia wrote:
Personally I think that most of people can become a polyglot after 20, it's just a matter of courage and determination.

And time. The vast majority of people over 20 have precious little free time, especially if they have long work hours or have children. That's not to say that people can't find an hour or even half an hour each day to dedicate to language learning but how many people feel like taking out their study books or CDs after a long day at the office (or wherever you happen to work)?

I think the one advantage adults have over children and teenagers is that they are more likely to have the discipline needed for learning a language, especially if it is through self-study. Most adults have a far greater concentration span than your average teenager and can probably use their limited free time more efficiently.

I sometimes feel that the determination and discipline of an adult and the curiosity and free time of a child would be the ideal ingredients for aspiring polyglots over the age of 20. Sadly, how many of us have all the free time we need to dedicate to language learning?

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6580 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 8 of 57
03 November 2006 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Quote:
Sadly, how many of us have all the free time we need to dedicate to language learning?

I guess that's why only the most passionate or enthusiastic of us try, and hang out on forums like this one! :)

The way adults allocate their time does vary from culture to culture. Americans and Canadians really have no excuse; the average North American spends more than 1000 hours each year watching TV, and that time could be used to learn one new language every year.

The Japanese don't watch as much TV, but the average male spends much more time on work or work-related functions. As a result, it tends to be the women who learn languages as a hobby.

Edited by Captain Haddock on 03 November 2006 at 9:32am

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version