SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6721 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 57
29 September 2009 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Just have a look at Luca and Richard Simcott (a.k.a. Torbyrne). While they may have had a few languages under their belts before the age of 20, I'm pretty sure that they have learned most of their languages as adults. As have been mentioned already on page one, ProfArguelles (a.k.a. Ardaschir) has indeed learned many languages after the age of 20. (see his Language Learning Biography)
1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5798 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 26 of 57
29 September 2009 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for revisiting this thread, Fasulye. I actually think the whole idea of "children learn languages better" is overblown. On this topic, i love the way that Khatsumoto expresses it on his AJATT site: If a little kid is exposed to ~10000 hours of a language in context before they start speaking, why would you ever think that you could just whip through 100 hours of studying and expect to be awesome at the language?

I think it's just comparatively rare to find someone who has the motivation to put in so many hours of their adult life into learning a language, when most adults are just putting their time in as overtime at work while they pay off a giant mortgage on a house or something. (at least in my experience here in canada)

I also like Khatsumoto's insistence that excellence in language learning is like excellence in anything else. It's not a matter of "innate talent", but we all have the ability. What matters is the thousands of hours of practice that are required for excellence in anything.
8 persons have voted this message useful

m32amir
Heptaglot
Groupie
Canada
youtube.com/user/m32Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5462 days ago

53 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Kazakh, Russian*, English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Turkish, Mandarin

Message 27 of 57
13 October 2009 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I started learning German and Portuguese after I turned 20. I'm really looking forward to see what will happen.

str0be
Korea, South
Joined 5416 days ago

103 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, Korean

Message 28 of 57
13 October 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
It's possible to learn languages quite well after 20. I learned Spanish when I was 12, but my 3rd language was Swahili, at 38. I learned Thai at 42, Japanese at 44, and I'm working on Mandarin at the age of 45.

Leosmith, I'm interested to know your level of Japanese -- do you speak like a native? And do you still actively study?

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5659 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 57
13 October 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
m32amir wrote:
I started learning German and Portuguese after I turned 20. I'm really looking forward to see what will happen.

You have a good example: I started learning Dutch at 22 (= your age) and now I speak and write it on a (near-) native level.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 13 October 2009 at 10:32am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6184 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 30 of 57
17 January 2010 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
If you live to 75 years of age then that means you have 55 years in which to study
languages. That's 35 more years of study than someone has had at the age of 20.

Edited by zerothinking on 17 January 2010 at 3:32am

Owen
United Kingdom
Joined 5168 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Studies: French, Russian

Message 31 of 57
28 March 2010 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I realise I'm late to this thread, but for what it's worth I'll tell you what I tell anybody who says they "wish they'd learned a musical instrument when they were younger". It's never too late to start! Never.

I certainly hope not, anyway, because I'm 22 ;)

dolly
United States
Joined 5602 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 32 of 57
28 March 2010 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
I'll never be a polyglot but I'll just say this: I didn't start my first foreign language until I was 41, I'm on my second, and I plan on starting my third in a year or so.

Edited by dolly on 29 March 2010 at 5:24am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 57 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version