Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6963 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 9 of 24
14 November 2006 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
OCCASVS wrote:

I've got basic notions of Esperanto. May it help, or should I be prepaired to struggle with a completely alien grammar to me?

Latin will help a bit - turkic languages are often described as having cases.

But i think this is a bit wishful thinking on behalf of grammarians, since these 'cases' don't correspond very well with parts of speech. The dative, locative and ablative mean something more like 'to' 'at' and 'from' (but added onto the end of the word instead of the front). The accusative is used for the direct object, but... only where it's a specific direct object (ie where 'the' would be used in english, or where the specifity is implied - ie where the object has just been referred to previously, or is a person referred to by name). The only one that strikes me as truly corresponding to a case is the genitive...

The true alienness for me lies in three main features of the language:
- SOV word order (often with the subject omitted because it's implied by the verb endings),
- heavy agglutination of verbs to create the equivalent of conjugations and moods, and
- vowel harmony, which you have to grasp before you can utter an intelligible sentence.

All this said, it's far easier than chinese, and the FSI course makes a very good job of explaining, and progressively inculcating this grammar so that you can actually use it. So if the material is presented well, with enough exercises, there's no need for the learner to struggle. It's just that for Turkish at least most of the material i looked at failed to do this...

Edited by onebir on 14 November 2006 at 12:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Raistlin Majere
Trilingual Hexaglot
Spain
uciprotour-cycling.c
Joined 6952 days ago

455 posts - 424 votes 
7 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan*, FrenchA1, Italian, German
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 24
14 November 2006 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
OCCASVS wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
Manuel de Qazaq, Cholpan Khoussaïnova, Rémy Dor
Collection Langues et Mondes / L'Asiathèque
ISBN: 2 901053.12.5

Thank you!
I'm lucky because it's written in a language which I can understand :)

Good luck with Kazakh, and keep us informed about your progress!

OCCASVS
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 6443 days ago

134 posts - 140 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, English, French, Polish

Message 11 of 24
14 November 2006 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Raistlin Majere wrote:
OCCASVS wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
Manuel de Qazaq, Cholpan Khoussaïnova, Rémy Dor
Collection Langues et Mondes / L'Asiathèque
ISBN: 2 901053.12.5

Thank you!
I'm lucky because it's written in a language which I can understand :)

Good luck with Kazakh, and keep us informed about your progress!

I'm not sure of starting to learn Kazakh :(
I've never tried seriously to learn a language by myself, so I should be very motivated before trying to learn Kazakh, another Turkic language or a Slavic/Caucasic one.

Anyway, good luck! :)

RogueRook
Diglot
Germany
N/A
Joined 6632 days ago

174 posts - 177 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Hungarian, Turkish

Message 12 of 24
14 November 2006 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
onebir wrote:

The true alienness for me lies in three main features of the language:
- SOV word order (often with the subject omitted because it's implied by the verb endings),
- heavy agglutination of verbs to create the equivalent of conjugations and moods, and
- vowel harmony, which you have to grasp before you can utter an intelligible sentence.

I think vowel harmony to be quite simple and natural and wouldn't regard it as a major obstacle to learning Turkish/Turkic languages. The Turkish grammar book I possess spends half a page explaining it and that's appropiate I think. Of course if you already know a language with vowel harmony ( like Hungarian, a turkified Uralic language) it is nothing new at all.

Edited by RogueRook on 14 November 2006 at 7:03pm

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6963 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 

Message 13 of 24
15 November 2006 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
RogueRook wrote:

I think vowel harmony to be quite simple and natural and wouldn't regard it as a major obstacle to learning Turkish/Turkic languages. The Turkish grammar book I possess spends half a page explaining it and that's appropiate I think. Of course if you already know a language with vowel harmony ( like Hungarian, a turkified Uralic language) it is nothing new at all.

It's easy to explain, but takes practice to get if you haven't come across it before. Combine enough simple but unfamiliar things, and they become difficult... That's why adequate drills are essential, and why in my opinion the FSI course is so much better than other materials for Turkish, and using Turkish as an 'intermediate target language' makes sense to me.

RogueRook
Diglot
Germany
N/A
Joined 6632 days ago

174 posts - 177 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Hungarian, Turkish

Message 14 of 24
15 November 2006 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I agree with you - Active and proper application of vowel harmony is best trained by drills. I also downloaded the FSI Turkish course and it seems to be a good method. With the second volume being available soon there will be plenty of material to peruse. The Langenscheidt course I bought isn't nearly as good.

It is a great idea to learn Kazakh. These Central Asian Turkic peoples are currently in the process of restoring their national identity and reclaiming the exclusive use of their native languages in all fields of society. I recently read that Kazakhztan is going to remove the last opressive symbols of Stalino-Fascism and replace the cyrillic script with the unified Turkic Alphabet devised by Atatürk. They will also clean their language from russian loans thus further consolidating their sovereignty and intellectual self-sufficiency.

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6963 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 

Message 15 of 24
16 November 2006 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
There's some materials for other central asian languages discussed here.

Uzbek is quite plentiful, with a little Pashto, Taijik and Uyghur.
2 persons have voted this message useful

onebir
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6963 days ago

484 posts - 502 votes 

Message 16 of 24
16 November 2006 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
onebir wrote:

Latin will help a bit - turkic languages are often described as having cases.

But i think this is a bit wishful thinking on behalf of grammarians, since these 'cases' don't correspond very well with parts of speech. The dative, locative and ablative mean something more like 'to' 'at' and 'from' (but added onto the end of the word instead of the front).

I was just looking at some materials for tibetan, which has somewhat similar particles to turkish. They were described as post-positions, which i think is more accurate.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version