Sweden
Joined 5331 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 105 of 351
02 December 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:

Tags for tourists? -- Why?

I think the point would be to be able to spot other Esperantists, never to miss an opportunity to practise your skills, or meet new friends. It makes much less sense for natural languages, because very few people will want to make friends with you just because you know a bit of French.

Getting back to the topic, let's discuss neutrality again. It seems that Esperantists also agree that the language is far from neutral politically, being internationalist in nature and created with a clear purpose. Now many people today are internationalists, but perhaps not in exactly that sense. The fact that it's geographically neutral, in the sense that it is not the native language of any country, is not an advantage. I don't think that the number of people that object to learning English because of British or American imperialism is significant. On the other hand, millions and millions of people want to learn English precisely because it is spoken in America. They don't care about past or present exploitation and imperialism, they just think that Coke tastes good and American pop-culture is te epitome of cool. Or they want to succeed in business, where English is prevalent.

So this very neutrality is the biggest obstacle in my view. There are probably more people studying Swedish right now than Esperanto!

As to neutrality in the sense that it's nobody's native language and hence equally difficult for both parties in a discussion, that is quite a negative reason. You can also achieve this by speaking some other language that neither of you is fully comfortable in!
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 106 of 351
02 December 2009 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Gusutafu wrote:

As to neutrality in the sense that it's nobody's native language and hence equally difficult for both parties in a discussion, that is quite a negative reason. You can also achieve this by speaking some other language that neither of you is fully comfortable in!

a) There are quite a few people who are fully comfortable in Esperanto.

b) It takes way less time and effort to become comfortable in Esperanto than any other language; it takes less time to become fully comfortable in it as well.

It's not "equally difficult" for people in many discussions, because they've invested different amounts of effort into learning it.

It is the native language of perhaps a couple of thousand of people; I know several native speakers.

3 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5648 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 107 of 351
02 December 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I haven't actually learnt Esperanto (I know I ought to put my money where my mouth is or however the saying goes..) but I have had my hands full with Russian...

But once I can count myself "worthy" I'll definitely get some kind of discrete Esperanto tag... Maybe a pin for my coat, a backpack or a t-shirt with a green star for the summer. No doubt some enthusiast is selling it.
Would be fun to see how long it takes before somebody spots it and is bold enough to ask.

Esperanto is clearly more than a language - it's partly also an ideology / lifestyle... which I support 100%

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 109 of 351
02 December 2009 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Tombstone wrote:
Volte wrote:

a) There are quite a few people who are fully comfortable in Esperanto.

b) It takes way less time and effort to become comfortable in Esperanto than any other language; it takes less time to become fully comfortable in it as well.

It is the native language of perhaps a couple of thousand of people; I know several native speakers.

-- Can you put a number on the "quite a few" statement? Say, in comparison to the world population?

Can I put a precise number on it? No. As for percent of the world population: tiny.

I'm not claiming Esperanto is widely spoken; it's not. I'm claiming it can be mastered, just as, say, Welsh can.

Tombstone wrote:

What specifically is the difference, in your eyes, between "fully comfortable" and "fluent."

"Fully comfortable" means native-like proficiency, to me. I'm fluent in Esperanto, but not 'fully comfortable'; I make some grammatical errors and can't really name many types of flowers...

Tombstone wrote:

"It takes less time and effort" is an opinion statement.

No, it really isn't.

Tombstone wrote:

If the person is raised speaking that nation's predominant language and Esperanto in their home, I don't think Esperanto would be seen as a "native" language.

But of course the definition of "native" in this case is open to debate.

The definition of 'native' in this case isn't more open to debate than it is in any other bilingual situation. There are a number of people who have been raised this way, and they consider themselves, and are considered, native Esperanto speakers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5796 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 112 of 351
03 December 2009 at 2:17am | IP Logged 
What I find to be an interesting property of Esperanto, is that all the rules work in all cases. Everything you learn can be generalized with your intuition. This is in heavy contrast to every other language I've seen.

As you grow up, and learn to speak your native language, you are fed a constant stream of corrections. In English, maybe you say "foots" instead of "feet", "taked" instead of "took", etc. This is because you've observed some patterns in how people talk, but then you keep running into all these weird exceptions as you learn.

In Esperanto, however, there are none of these. As soon as you grasp a pattern, you can generalize and it always works. This means that you have the ability to bypass one of the things that takes the longest to learn, and one of the things that will keep "good" speakers of a language from sounding like "native" speakers of the language. You will quickly build up your Esperanto-intuition, and you'll be able to rely on it perfectly.

In this sense, anyone can become a native-like speaker of Esperanto. This is another form of the neutrality of the language. You don't get the hierarchical sense that one person (the native) is always a source of obscure knowledge about the exceptions, and the other (the non-native) is always stumbling over those "gotchas" no matter how much time they put in.

It's interesting to hear the stories of small children growing up speaking both Espranto and another language. I was reading an article by Claude Piron where he mentions a five-year-old from France who could speak Esperanto with no mistakes, but had all the common mistakes of a five-year-old French speaker that needed to be corrected.

Piron describes this in terms of "first degree reflexes" and "second degree reflexes". In the first degree reflexes, you figure out a pattern and start generalizing it. The second degree, however, is where you have to actively suppress all those words that are exceptions to the first rules (foots, taked, etc). Esperanto has none of these, so you can flow freely through the language purely on first degree reflexes.

here's a quote:

Claude Piron wrote:
In English, you can't generalize the pattern in he loves / his love, he falls / his fall and say he lives / his live; he sells / his sell; he suggests / his suggest. You have to learn separately life, sale, suggestion. In Esperanto you don't hesitate: li amas / lia amo; li falas / lia falo; li vivas / lia vivo; li vendas / lia vendo; li sugestas / lia sugesto. What is a gain for memory at the time of learning-which means more time available for other pursuits - represents also an important saving of nervous energy at the time of expressing oneself. To speak fluently is to speak by reflex. If you have to constantly scan your memory for the right word or the right grammar rule, you have no fluency. A language without any second degree reflex to input into the nervous system in order to inhibit the first level reflexes is a language you can speak with much more ease than a language which doesn't have that advantage. It is also a language in which real fluency can be attained in much less time. Esperanto is such a language.

8 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version