Joined 5293 days ago

103 posts - 140 votes 
Speaks: Slovak, Czech*, English
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 33 of 351
10 November 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I support it for political reasons. ...

I do not want to speak English with a Romanian, Greek or Portuguese person just because it happens to be the national language of the United States which has been a superpower for a bit over half a century...!

Anyone agree with any of this?

Well, it is also national language of several EU countries, isn't it? UK, Ireland, Malta. It is also the most useful language in many fields so it is often studied as a second language (almost always in my country).

Esperanto may be easy to learn, but I do not know whether I want to use artificial language as lingua franca on everyday basis (I probably wouldn't survive a single working day without English). Natural languages are more beautiful and... natural. If we should use some neutral European language... I would vote for Latin instead :).
3 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6565 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 34 of 351
10 November 2009 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

Anyone agree with any of this?

I personally would have trouble learning Esperanto unless it became it became a living, breathing, widespread
language (and please don't nitpick about the 1000 or so supposed native speakers out there whose parents are
linguists). However, I agree with all your sentiments, both cultural and political.

People have also proposed neo-Latin as a European auxiliary language. I wonder if that would work. At the crazier
end of the scale are those people who want to revive PIE for that purpose.
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5635 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 35 of 351
10 November 2009 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Oh - I should clarify that I don't hate English or Britain. I quite like both. English as a common language is definitely better than no common language at all...

I just think a new time is dawning for Europe and it would be great to solve the language issue in a better way than what English can offer...

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 36 of 351
10 November 2009 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I just think a new time is dawning for Europe and it would be great to solve the language issue in a better way than what English can offer...

But Esperanto is widely regarded as being an imperfect conlang.

Esperanto's only advantage over other conlangs is that it has an established base of speakers... which means it's not a neutral language. Geographically neutral, yes, but not individually neutral.

If Europe wants an artificial auxiliary language, there should be an academic grant to write a new one based on solid linguistic principles.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5635 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 37 of 351
10 November 2009 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:

If Europe wants an artificial auxiliary language, there should be an academic grant to write a new one based on solid linguistic principles.

Interesting proposition! That would surely be the ideal.... That would be one of the most interesting language projects ever to be undertaken... A Euro languages geeks dream project... We should almost start a separate thread about this - it's such a fascinating thought.

I want the new language asap though - not in fifty years when Swedish is near extinction and the EU bureacracy has finished turning...

Since I can't actually speak Esperanto myself I have no particular loyalty to that language - I just think it's the closest to the mark that is currently available.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5316 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 38 of 351
10 November 2009 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
If Europe wants an artificial auxiliary language, there should be an
academic grant to write a new one based on solid linguistic principles.
Isn't
Interlingua kind of that already? It has some advantages over Esperanto, and is very easy
for many Europeans to understand without any prior introduction to the language. I was
trying to find any good resources to learn it, but I couldn't find much of quality. I
definitely think it looks nicer than Esperanto though.

http://members.optus.net/~ado_hall/interlingua/gi/parts_of_s peech/article.html was the
most comprehensive site I could find.

EDIT: If you try to go to that site you might need to remove a space in the link. Won't let me remove it.

Edited by Akalabeth on 10 November 2009 at 7:26pm

Vinbelgium
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 5621 days ago

61 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, Flemish*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 39 of 351
10 November 2009 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
People always say that Esperanto is such an extremely easy language.
The difficulty of a language depends on your native language. And for every language vocabulary must be studied. Esperanto learners who know a European language are lucky, but they still have to study the vocabulary. The grammar is a bit simplified, but they still need to study it. To me it's just another language.

Gusutafu
Sweden
Joined 5318 days ago

655 posts - 1039 votes 

Message 40 of 351
10 November 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Esperanto's only advantage over other conlangs is that it has an established base of speakers... which means it's not a neutral language. Geographically neutral, yes, but not individually neutral.

So if a language has speakers, it's off because it's not neutral? Doesn't seem very practical. But why does it have to be neutral? And how do you think a language COULD be neutral?

And Cordelia, why wouldn't Esperanto kill Swedish if you think English will?

This discussion contains 351 messages over 44 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version