11 messages over 2 pages: 1
daristani
United States
Joined 6942 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 9 of 11
07 April 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info on the Redhouse dictionary, Zhiguli; Google Books seems to have both the “little” Redhouse dictionary, which goes both English-Turkish and Turkish-English, as well as his larger English-Turkish one, but not the massive Turkish-English lexicon that is the primary Ottoman dictionary used by scholars. Still, the little one is quite handy.

I only discovered Google Books yesterday, and didn’t mention all the various books for Ottoman I found. There are a couple of grammars/textbooks in German, such as:

Grammatik der Türkisch-osmanischen Umgangssprache By P J. Piqueré, (Vienna, 1870)

Türkische Grammatik mit Paradigmen, Litteratur, Christomathie und Glossar By August Müller (Berlin, 1889)

Allgemeine Grammatik der türkisch-tatarischen Sprache, by Aleksandr Kazem-Bek (Leipzig, 1848)

Materialien zur Kenntnis des rumelischen Türkisch...: Türkische volksmärchen aus Adakale ... By Ignácz Kúnos (Leipzig, 1907)

Materialien zur Kenntnis des anatolischen Türkisch By Friedrich Giese (Halle, 1907)

(These last two are not Ottoman Turkish per se, but rather transcribed folklore texts.)

I suspect that there may be more useful books available as well, although I’m very partial to the Hagopian book, both because of its user-friendly lessons and the fact that it employs the “normal” print font for the Turkish that the Turks themselves used. (The others use a font that appeared in lots of European books at the time, but to me is not very attractive, reminding me of a sort of Gothic version of the Arabic script.)

In any event, Google Books strikes me as a cornucopia not just for books on Ottoman, but also for other older books on a variety of languages, as well as (naturally) all sorts of other topics.

2 persons have voted this message useful

zhiguli
Canada
Joined 6239 days ago

176 posts - 221 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 10 of 11
08 April 2007 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I had a look at the first link in your last post, and see a "Download" button to the right; just between "Summary" and "About the book".

I tried the links again (in daristani's post) and I don't see any download button or even sample pages, only a table of contents and some links to buy the book. and i tried it in two different browsers...help! I really would like to get these books (especially Hagopian) but can't find any way to download it anywhere.

Some other (offline) books I have and can recommend:

-Guide complet de la conversation turc-francais - A. Irfan
-Osmanlı Türkçesi - Gramer - Tarihî metinler - Belgeler by Ak/Başar
and the textbooks by Faruk Timurtaş (which, alas, are all in Turkish).

And here is a modern curiosity, اینترنتڭ ایلك عثمانلیجه سیته سی (the internet's first Ottoman-language site):

http://www.islamharfleri.com/osmanlica01/

which is not really Ottoman, but modern Turkish in Arabic letters.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alijsh
Tetraglot
Iran
jahanshiri.ir/
Joined 6420 days ago

149 posts - 167 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Persian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 11 of 11
09 April 2007 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
How difficult is it to read Ottoman Turkish for a speaker of Turkish and Persian?

I could find its script here at wikipedia. There was only one letter that I didn't know (sağır kef). In addition, if I remember rightly, Ottoman Turkish was usually written in Nasta'liq script. Nasta'liq is extensively used in Persian and we know it but for example, Arabs don't use it.

Here (http://www.umich.edu/~turkish/links/manuscripts/letter/lett er.htm) has a text in Ottoman Turkish. The text is familiar to my eyes but for reading correctly and having a full understanding I must know the pronunciation of Turkish words and of course Turkish grammar. In any case, it doesn't seem to be so hard to learn Ottoman Turkish. Especially that Turkish grammar is not hard.

There is an interesting word in this letter: asilâne. it's a compound made from "word asil + suffix âne". It's possible to have such a word in Persian but we don't have it and it shows that they have made words from Persian that are not found in Persian itself :D However, it's easy to guess its meaning because the function of "âne" in wordbuilding is clear.

Edited by Alijsh on 09 April 2007 at 1:47pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version