Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 121 of 255
26 March 2007 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi,

What you describe is something I did with english and I have written here a few days ago.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=5333&PN=0&TPN=2

As I said before, this was my first way to learn english. Reading interesting contents in english was the best method for me. After I began with audio with interesting contents and sometimes struggling myself to understand.

Thinking about this process I remember a key aspect. First I was reading online and not books. My vocabulary was very very low and one important thing was online dictionarys. I think I used Babylon when it was free. After, with more confidence, I began with books.

It was very important the first step: reading online with a online dictionary. That allow you to read real contents for native speakers and look for meaning very quickly. Your don't need boring readers for children. And I never used wordlists,because my goal was the content. Maybe,with a more refined method, people can go faster than me.

With a book and a dictionary off line the process is much slower and difficult and I probably gave up.

If you understand 80-90% reading, you can use good movies with audio and subtitles in your target language and learn a lot of conversational audio.

The advantage of this method is you start with real contents for native speakers. Maybe people can use this method from scratch, but if you know the 100 or 200 more frequent words, I think it's better.

You don't need readers, childrens' books, boring texts and so on. You can start with whatever contents you like or need in your target language.

This is very motivating, because you are learning your target language and you learn contents you like or need as well. When you read more fluently, you will have more motivation to read and understand some grammar or follow some target language course. Maybe you will read grammars books in your target language for native speakers. Maybe you will read forums in your target language and eventually you will be able to write in them.

If you know little about the language, at first you will progress a lot, because you will find a lot of repeated words and eventually you will learn them.
With other advices that we can find here, you can progress very fast: shadowing, wordlists, mnemonics, movies and so on.

I don't know how I have forgotten this approach, my first successful approach:

Reading online your target language with online dictionary that pop-ups meanings you don't know.

I can not believe that is so easy.

2 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6338 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 122 of 255
26 March 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Reading online your target language with online dictionary that pop-ups meanings you don't know.

This idea is appealing to me. Does your pop-up dictionary also have a memory of the words you've looked up?

I'm thinking that getting an automatic list of the words I don't know while I'm reading might be a good compromise between pure reading vs. wordlists.

Does anyone here use something like rikaichan for Japanese? I've never considered getting it, because I thought it would hurt my learning. But maybe using it this way would help. I wonder if it has memory?
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6463 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 123 of 255
26 March 2007 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
leosmith wrote:
slucido wrote:

This idea is appealing to me. Does your pop-up dictionary also have a memory of the words you've looked up?

I'm thinking that getting an automatic list of the words I don't know while I'm reading might be a good compromise between pure reading vs. wordlists.

Does anyone here use something like rikaichan for Japanese? I've never considered getting it, because I thought it would hurt my learning. But maybe using it this way would help. I wonder if it has memory?

It doesn't have memory. If I find a new word and I like to know, I write the word or copy and paste it.

Right now I'm using wordreference, because is free.

http://www.wordreference.com/english/Right-click_Menu.htm

They have a toolbar as well:

http://www.wordreference.com/english/Toolbar.asp

I am learning english, italian and french and it has the three languages. I don't know for japenese, mandarin or thai.

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6312 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 124 of 255
26 March 2007 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
           Slucido, how long did it take you to get to 80-90% reading ability with your method? Did you find it really difficult to begin with? And did you find that you assimilated the grammar by learning this way?

Thanks

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6816 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 125 of 255
26 March 2007 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
slucido,

Your link just takes me to the general discussion. How do I find your post. There is a lot of material to go through.

I agree that authentic content is motivating. I also believe in combining audio and text. I am reluctant to do any reading in a foreign languag if I cannot access the sound, at least until I am very good at the language. The sound reinforces the learning of phrases (therefore grammar) and words.

I believe that with computers learners can access and enjoy authentic material much earlier than is possible just by using books and word lists or dictionaries. But this will vary with each student's pain threshold.

The key advantages of using a computer are matching text to sound, and the development of individual learner vocabulary profiles : This means
1) instant dictionary explanations
2) automatic and visible list of new words and phrases as you save them
3) highlighting of new words and phrases in texts as they reappear
4) statistics on new words, known words, learned words etc. which can be both useful and motivating
5) ability to focus on content that is optimized, not only for interest, but also for vocabulary.
6) automatic flash carding and printable lists of new vocabulary based on a variety of criteria
7) tagging of words for points of grammar,common roots or whatever.
and much more

The computer makes it possible to put the learner in charge of what to read and listen to, which words and patterns to learn and at what pace, with a record of what he/she has done and where he/she is going.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 126 of 255
26 March 2007 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
It is part of a system we are developing and that I am using in Beta for Russian.

If it's going to be available to the general market, what is the tentative timetable for its release and what should we be looking out for (company, product name, etc)?

Zhuangzi
Nonaglot
Language Program Publisher
Canada
lingq.com
Joined 6816 days ago

646 posts - 688 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Japanese, Swedish, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian

Message 127 of 255
26 March 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld,

Let me be quite clear. Much of the functionality of our system as described here reflects my wish list based on over 40 years of language learning. The ideas, however, are generic and are offered here for discussion.

I hope to put our mew system on the general market in May. I could also make a free Beta version availiable to privately to some of the keeners here before that date.

I am not sure that I can mention the name of our system or whether that would be considered "commercial" activity.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6731 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 128 of 255
26 March 2007 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
Zhuangzi wrote:
I am not sure that I can mention the name of our system or whether that would be considered "commercial" activity.

I'd go ahead an mention it, since you are openly acknowledging working for the company, have contributed to the forum otherwise, and because I am the one asking - it wouldn't do us any good if people couldn't name a product just because they happen to work for the company making it. In any case, Don Casteel of "Platiquemos" has provided information on request about his product on a number of occasions, so there is already a precedent.

This discussion contains 255 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version