Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 37
14 March 2007 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Luigi wrote:
Even though Russian and Polish are ranked at the same level of difficulty, I'd like to know if one of the two is in some way easier to learn than the other.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

It depends on you. What do you think is harder for you? Mastering the script? (Cyrillic vs. Latin) Learning how to speak properly? (variable stress vs. fixed stress) Declensions? (rather similar in difficulty in my opinion) Conjugations? (arguably more elaborate in Polish than in Russian)
1 person has voted this message useful

Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 10 of 37
15 March 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread but how hard would it be for someone (like me) who grew up speaking Polish, to learn Russian?

I don't know any official grammar terms or anything in Polish, but I have "Sprachgefühl" and I want to know how hard it is before I jump into Russian.

Jerrod
United States
Joined 6298 days ago

168 posts - 176 votes 
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 11 of 37
15 March 2007 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I don't see the Russian vocabulary as a big problem. I have just started to learn Russian, and I have chosen the unconventional method of working my way through the dictionary from А to Я (I'm at Г right now) as one of the key ingredients of my study. The thing that has struck me most is the immense proportion of loanwords from Western European languages, not least German and French. It must be at least half the words you get for free that way, if not more. I'm more concerned about just about every other aspect of the Russian language than the vocabulary.

Iversen, I am interested in your approach. How many words from each letter are you learning? May I suggest you work your way through the 5000 most common words of Russian? They have an alphabetical version on their site. I am thinking about this approach with Spanish and would like to see what the results would be.
You mention that there are a great deal of German and French loan words. I am not sure what language to do next (though leaning toward Spanish), do you think my knowledge of Russian would help me learn one of these two languages faster? If so, which one?
Thanks.

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6735 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 37
15 March 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Silvestris wrote:
Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread but how hard would it be for someone (like me) who grew up speaking Polish, to learn Russian?

If you already speak Polish, then learning Russian will be easy. You are very lucky in this respect.

In the following site you will find a complete two-year college course, the quality of which seams exceptional.

Why don't you try a few lessons to get a feeling of the language?

http://www.princeton.edu/russian/

Edited by Luigi on 15 March 2007 at 2:53pm

Luigi
Diglot
Italy
Joined 6735 days ago

113 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 13 of 37
15 March 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for you replies.

May I ask something else. Is Russian really that difficult as it is made out to be?

I own a few courses, and at first glance Russian grammar looks much more difficult than German grammar.

All those cases, declensions and exceptions to the rules. It will takes me ages to memorize all that material.

Is there any hope of becoming fluent one day in this wonderful but difficult language?

Edited by Luigi on 15 March 2007 at 4:29pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 37
15 March 2007 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
I can't really reply to this as I've never learnt Russian as a foreign language, but what's for sure is that you won't need to learn it all at once. Also, native speakers of Russian are extremely forgiving, it's so easy to impress us:)
But there is a hope of becoming fluent, and it's not actually so vague as it seems. I know quite a few fluent non-native speakers of Russian, some of which have learnt it on their own. It's definitely possible. Good luck with any language you choose!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 37
15 March 2007 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Yes, there's enough hope. You just need to put the effort into learning Russian. I've come across a few non-Slavs whose command of Russian was good enough for at least basic fluency (as defined here). At my alma mater, a few of the instructors of Russian don't come from the former USSR, and they learned all of their Russian after years of study and immersion starting when they were undergraduate students.

For foreigners, Russian is difficult in some areas and less difficult in others. The same applies to Polish. I revert to my questions in my first post on this thread since difficulty in learning a foreign language after a certain point depends on each person's background and ability to find opportunities to apply or improve his/her knowledge.

Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6359 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 16 of 37
16 March 2007 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Thank you Luigi! The link was very helpful :)

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version