United Kingdom
Joined 6660 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 25 of 37
12 April 2007 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Jerrod wrote:
Iversen wrote:
I don't see the Russian vocabulary as a big problem. I have just started to learn Russian, and I have chosen the unconventional method of working my way through the dictionary from А to Я (I'm at Г right now) as one of the key ingredients of my study. The thing that has struck me most is the immense proportion of loanwords from Western European languages, not least German and French. It must be at least half the words you get for free that way, if not more. I'm more concerned about just about every other aspect of the Russian language than the vocabulary.

Iversen, I am interested in your approach. How many words from each letter are you learning? May I suggest you work your way through the 5000 most common words of Russian? They have an alphabetical version on their site. I am thinking about this approach with Spanish and would like to see what the results would be.
You mention that there are a great deal of German and French loan words. I am not sure what language to do next (though leaning toward Spanish), do you think my knowledge of Russian would help me learn one of these two languages faster? If so, which one?
Thanks.

I have tried this with Spanish.

At first I tried going through the dictionary and to be honest found it very boring and un-rewarding.

What I started to do instead was look at materials that interested me (e.g. online news articles), and as new words emerged, made flash cards for them. I also bought a lexical frequency dictionary with the 5,000 most common Spanish words in it, and used this to double check if the new words I'de found were common. If so, I put a little index number in the top corner of the card.

About 3-6 months later, I have 80-90% comprehension for written Spanish and about 60% comprehension for listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

zoshchenko
Diglot
United States
Joined 6235 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Georgian, Turkish

Message 26 of 37
26 April 2007 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
If you are still interested in learning Polish, there is an interesting program from Transparent Language which is sort of a visual phrase book. You can look at pictures and click on things to hear the word, or click on other things to see a dialog or click on other things to go to a different place and have new things to click on.

It's different. I won't give the web site since this is enough of a plug already (no, I dont work for them). It is actually some kind of British-Russian program being marketed by Transparent Language. Look for LinguaMatch, Panoramic Polish, or Doka.

The documentation is kinda crappy. Actually there is none. So you have to just kinda play with it.

teddo
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 6205 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English, Polish
Studies: French

Message 27 of 37
09 May 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I advise you of course Polish from one important reason - it has LATIN alphabet which is the most widely used alphabetic writting system in the world today, and when you will know Polish then learning Russian will be banal. 2 in 1!

matryoshka
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5531 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Russian, Polish*

Message 28 of 37
17 March 2009 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Luigi wrote:
Silvestris wrote:
Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread but how hard would it be for
someone (like me) who grew up speaking Polish, to learn Russian?

If you already speak Polish, then learning Russian will be easy. You are very lucky in this respect.

In the following site you will find a complete two-year college course, the quality of which seams exceptional.

Why don't you try a few lessons to get a feeling of the language?

http://www.princeton.edu/russian/

I've tried this link and it is currently not working...

??? :(

jandem
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5524 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 29 of 37
19 March 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
matryoshka wrote:

I've tried this link and it is currently not working...

??? :(

You can find it   here:   http://www.freela nguagecourses.com/language/russian/princeton-russian-course- 51/ (as a big ZIP-file). They only ask you to send an email to the author with some information about yourself.

Good luck!

edit: Unfortunately, the link is broken to discourage spammers. Just remove the space/spaces and it should work...

Edited by jandem on 19 March 2009 at 2:40pm

Olekander
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5678 days ago

122 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Russian

Message 30 of 37
19 March 2009 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
orion wrote:
Another consideration, albeit a small one, is that Polish uses the Latin alphabet. I still find it relatively slow going when reading Cyrillic text, as Russian uses. Both are cool languages though. Good luck!

Hell no, I find it so much easier reading russian in the Cyrillic alphabet than the Polish languge in the Latin one. Polish is designed for the Cyrillic alphabet.

wzydezydiy / взедезыдий

definitely for the russian there.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 31 of 37
19 March 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Olekander wrote:
orion wrote:
Another consideration, albeit a small one, is that Polish uses the Latin alphabet. I still find it relatively slow going when reading Cyrillic text, as Russian uses. Both are cool languages though. Good luck!

Hell no, I find it so much easier reading russian in the Cyrillic alphabet than the Polish languge in the Latin one. Polish is designed for the Cyrillic alphabet.

wzydezydiy / взедезыдий

Really? Saying that Polish is designed for the Cyrillic alphabet has the same value to me as saying that Ukrainian is designed for Latin alphabet.

See this thread for the discussion here about Cyrillic versus Latin.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=9431&PN=3

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5627 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 32 of 37
19 March 2009 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Olekander wrote:
orion wrote:

wzydezydiy / взедезыдий

What an earth do these two words mean?

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version