Australia
Joined 6685 days ago

189 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Tagalog, Indonesian

Message 17 of 94
20 March 2007 at 7:59am | IP Logged 
curon wrote:
I have come across the assumption that you must be gay if you can speak several languages. I think this has been covered on another thread somewhere though

Hmm. Can't say I've heard that one before!
1 person has voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6516 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 18 of 94
20 March 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:

And the biggest "problem" I have being a ployglot is that I don't understand when people ask me, "Don't you get the languages mixed up?" I had studied five or six languages before I heard this question, so I never understood why someone would say that. Unless, of course, they've never studied a third language before in their lives.

As I keep telling people, French sounds like French, Chinese sounds like Chinese, and they sound nothing alike. I don't know how I would get confused.

Maybe they mean code-switching, constanting going back in and forth between two or more languages in the course of a single conversation, or even a sentence.

I really think that, because they've never experienced knowing more than two (or often even one), they have the wrong idea of how polyglottery works. I think most people think of languages as different programs, and that they are completely separated inside one's head. Switching from one language to another means having to "switch gears" or perhaps "switch places" inside your head.

At least that's how I've always taken it to mean.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6682 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 19 of 94
20 March 2007 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
Journeyer wrote:
Raincrowlee wrote:

And the biggest "problem" I have being a ployglot is that I don't understand when people ask me, "Don't you get the languages mixed up?" I had studied five or six languages before I heard this question, so I never understood why someone would say that. Unless, of course, they've never studied a third language before in their lives.

As I keep telling people, French sounds like French, Chinese sounds like Chinese, and they sound nothing alike. I don't know how I would get confused.

Maybe they mean code-switching, constanting going back in and forth between two or more languages in the course of a single conversation, or even a sentence.

I really think that, because they've never experienced knowing more than two (or often even one), they have the wrong idea of how polyglottery works. I think most people think of languages as different programs, and that they are completely separated inside one's head. Switching from one language to another means having to "switch gears" or perhaps "switch places" inside your head.

At least that's how I've always taken it to mean.

I guess I don't know how I do it. I've been immersed in German for so long that I have to sometimes translate in my head what I'm trying to say if I need to speak Spanish. Switching doesn't quite seem like a good term for what I do, because it's too black-and-white. Maybe, "adjusting."

My aunt lived with a woman from Belgium as an exchange student, and this Belgium lady could speak several languages. She described it as going into five different kitchens: they are all similar to a point, but if she spent too much time in one "kitchen" going to another caused her some errors until she got herself re-oriented. After a bit of exposure though, she was just as smooth a role as she was in the last "kitchen" she was in.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 94
20 March 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
curon wrote:
I have come across the assumption that you must be gay if you can speak several languages. I think this has been covered on another thread somewhere though

Perhaps you were referring to this heated thread about the supposed link of speaking French and being gay.

Frankly, it seems that the spurious link (urban legend? / stereotype?) between homosexuality and multilingualism is aimed at multilingual men. I somehow doubt that multilingual women are conversely held to be lesbians.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 21 of 94
20 March 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
I can think of only two disadvantages

1) Dissatisfaction with yourself (if you're perfectionistic or self-depreciating) since you always feel that you need to improve on something in your target language (even if you are already fluent for all intents and purposes)

2) Embarrassment (this applies if you're ostantateous or let on that your abilities are a lot better than they actually are)

IbanezFire
United States
Joined 6508 days ago

119 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Russian

Message 22 of 94
20 March 2007 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
I've never heard the gay thing in regards to being a ployglot.

The only downfalls I could see would be...

1. Time required to maintain language
2. People will expect you to be godlike in language ability and if you mess up they say "ha, your not so good after all!"
3 persons have voted this message useful

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6473 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 23 of 94
21 March 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
Maybe people confuse "bilingual" and "bisexual."
2 persons have voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6855 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 24 of 94
21 March 2007 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
honestly the biggest drawback i can think of is having to make the ultimate decision of which girl from what country who speaks what language natively will you ultimately marry?

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version