United Kingdom
Joined 6402 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Indonesian

Message 25 of 94
21 March 2007 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Curon wrote:

'I have come across the assumption that you must be gay if you can speak several languages. I think this has been covered on another thread somewhere though'

I don't know where you live in Britain, but it's the same where i'm from. My friend's get all annoyed that I turn down their offer's of Clubbing and watching the football, because i'm studying, and their automatic assumption is that im turing into a 'square' and i'm boreing now. But I still have my fun. These are some of the negitive effect's iv'e come accross so far.

PS. Another negitive aspect is that people assume becuase you've been studying for a few month's, your fluent, and it put's pressure on you to speak it better. Really annoying. They say thing's like 'So, you fluent yet'? and expect you to be fluent.

Edited by Roger on 21 March 2007 at 7:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 26 of 94
22 March 2007 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Roger wrote:
I don't know where you live in Britain, but it's the same where i'm from. My friend's get all annoyed that I turn down their offer's of Clubbing and watching the football, because i'm studying, and their automatic assumption is that im turing into a 'square' and i'm boreing now. But I still have my fun. These are some of the negitive effect's iv'e come accross so far.

PS. Another negitive aspect is that people assume becuase you've been studying for a few month's, your fluent, and it put's pressure on you to speak it better. Really annoying. They say thing's like 'So, you fluent yet'? and expect you to be fluent.

Another negative aspect of spending much time learning foreign languages is that you might forget how to write your native language correctly.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Qbe
Tetraglot
United States
joewright.org/var
Joined 6945 days ago

289 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Japanese, German, Mandarin, Aramaic

Message 27 of 94
22 March 2007 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
My pet peeve about being a language freak is the Trained Monkey Effect.

You've probably experienced it. You talk to a monoglot who knows or hears that you study other languages. "What languages do you know?" You answer. The monoglot picks through your other language(s) like a menu, then says "Say something in (other language)." Dance for The Man, monkey.

I've had this experience with my wife's side of the family a few times. Invariably I'd say something in their chosen language, then would be rewarded with a frown and the words, "THAT sounds weird."

This year we went to the Christmas family get-together on my wife's side. My wife mentioned in this year's Christmas letter that I've been studying Japanese. As I predicted on the way there, one of her sisters said to me, "Say something in Japanese."

I smiled and said, "No."
4 persons have voted this message useful

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6402 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 

Message 28 of 94
22 March 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
MARC FRISCH, does that mean I have to ask for your permission to write the way I do? People like you really P*ss me off.

Edited by Roger on 22 March 2007 at 11:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6475 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 29 of 94
22 March 2007 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Roger wrote:
MARC FRISCH, does that mean I have to ask for your permission to write the way I do? People like you really P*ss me off.

Personally I don't care, but keep in mind that your text is hard to read because of the many spelling mistakes, especially for people who don't speak English as their native language.

administrator wrote:

Please remember our motto when posting:
“If you can't spell it, don't write it.”

1 person has voted this message useful

Roger
United Kingdom
Joined 6402 days ago

159 posts - 161 votes 

Message 30 of 94
22 March 2007 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Would it help if I told you I am dyslexic. I didn't gain any GCSE's becuase of fear of my terrible spelling. But now I don't care about it, so that's why the spelling is so bad.

PS. I am not self diognosing, I have been battleing it since primary school. It's a pain, but I feel my spelling has improve a bit over the years. I'll do my upmost to improve my spelling on this forum, but I do feel you could have approached your feeling's of my spelling with a more appropraite mannar.

Edited by Roger on 22 March 2007 at 3:08pm

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6825 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 94
22 March 2007 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Roger, no offence, but how are you managing to learn two foreign languages if you're dyslexic? I would imagine that it's much harder for you.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be funny or disparaging, I really am genuinely curious.

Edited by patuco on 22 March 2007 at 6:46pm

Vinnie
Groupie
England
Joined 6334 days ago

65 posts - 66 votes 

Message 32 of 94
22 March 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
       I know another negative with language learning. When you get smart ass comments from people who believe they're more intellectually superior and thrive off making smart ass comments like. "Another negative aspect of spending much time learning foreign languages is that you might forget how to write your native language correctly". Dude theres loads of people on this forum who dont spell correctly, namely me, so why dig it up on one single person who was just adding productive talk to a thread.
       Look at it this way, if its hard to read look at it as a challenge.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version