24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
owshawng
United States
Joined 6685 days ago

202 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 24
21 November 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Pretty impressive. Are the words in Writing Chinese with Ease the same as in Chinese with Ease? Are you using any kind of flashcards to practice with?

Have you tried pleco? It's an electronic dictionary you can run on a Palm PDA or pocket PC. You can also create electronic flashcards in it for both simplified and traditional Chinese. The flashcards use a spaced recall system that you can adjust the frequency they appear. Plus with a stylus you can write characters on the screen to look them up. I haven't tried it yet,but will probably get it in the next few months. Its gotten rave reviews on chinese-forums.com, Newyorkeric and delectrc mention it briefly. Would love to see a detailed review by someone who's been using it for a while.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 24
21 November 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Exactly the same words (I've only done a few lessons). The book teaches the words in the same order as they appear in the two volumes. Thus, for "Writing Chinese with Ease" lesson 1, you have 你, 好, 饿, 吗, 我, 不, 累, 走 plus the numbers, exercise and fill-in-the-blanks (第, 一, 课, 练, 习, 完, 成, 句 and 子), stroke-by-stroke. I copy them, and then write each sentence once (as you know, the important hanzi come back in later lessons).

I don't use flashcards. Anymore, I should probably add. I tried it for a while about eight months ago with the words and sentences from the university course, and then my hard drive crashed and I haven't installed the program (Memory Lifter) again. The method worked though (I learned a lot of Esperanto with it too, during the same time).
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 24
09 May 2008 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
I suppose it is time for an update.

I'm still taking the internet-based university course. In February I started with FSI Chinese as well (from the beginning, pronunciation and all that) and am now halfway through module 3. I aim for one lesson (=tape) a day, and on a good day I can complete one unit.

Inspired by Professor Arguelles I have been shadowing a lot, and devoting some time on the scriptorium method (my source is Assimil). I have also decided to use his Excel chart to keep track of everything.

I use LingQ to import the university lessons, and try to follow the recommendations there, e.g. to save 13 words per day and learn 7. The flashcard tool there isn't the best, but it is easily adjustable. For instance, if I feel that I don't really know a word that over the months have been upgraded to the "known" status, I can "degrade" it again. The progress indicator tells me how many words I know, based on what I have saved and learned, and on what I haven't saved (the system just assumes that I know those words).

Recently I have started using Anki which has been referred to so often here on the forum. Here too I started from the very beginning with the

One may think it is silly to use both LingQ and Anki for roughly the same words, but in a way all this clicking-and-saving at LingQ helps learning them, while Anki can import hundreds of words in one go from a txt-file.

Occasionally I watch Chinese tv-series on VCD - I have got a couple without subtitles (other than simplified Chinese...), and the one I'm currently watching is Zui Quan Zhang San (醉拳张三).

I also listen to Chinesepod once in a while but don't follow the lessons slavely.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 24
16 February 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Oops, I haven't updated this log for a very long time.

What have I done since last May?

First of all, I have been using Anki a lot (mostly for the vocab from the university course - currently 2346 entries, i.e. 4692 cards).
I have studied some of the LingQ content that I have found useful.
I have listened a lot (~1 hour a day).
I have watched my Chinese tv-series* repeatedly, although not every day (depending on work schedule et.c.).
I have spoken Chinese in a live setting. Not much at all, but I was complimented on my accent. Probably the usual comment from natives, but in this case I was said to speak better Chinese than the woman's (Swedish) husband (and I heard him...).
I have used Prof. Arguelles' scriptorium method for the two "Chinese with Ease" volumes (including isolated hanzi from "Writing Chinese with Ease", with the proper stroke order, of course).
I have text-chatted on MSN and in emails, with varying results - some persons are difficult to understand (and they don't seem to understand me either!), while conversations with others have been very useful.

According to the "stats" from the study chart, I devoted 471 hours on the language in 2008 (about half of that was grammar study and practice).

Nothing much will change in 2009 (except for maybe a focus change now and then).

* Zui Quan Zhang San 醉拳张三 (mentioned above, 26 episodes), Tang Lang Quan 螳螂拳 (20 episodes), Drunken Fist 醉拳王无忌 and 少林弟子 (18 episodes, Gordon Liu is dubbed into Mandarin...)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 24
29 January 2010 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Almost a year since the last update.

What did I do in 2009?

It was the third university year, a lot of reading and translating. I went through Assimil again, this time only as a reading exercise (sometimes silently, sometimes aloud). I had a look at some children's books in Chinese (translated from Swedish; "Shui de laolao?", "Shui lai jueding?", "Shui de kuzi?", "Shui shengqi le?", "Shui liuxue le?" and "Shui gudu ya?", all by Stina Wirsén), Teach Yourself Chinese (Elizabeth Scurfield, 1991), another book I didn't even know I had - "Read Chinese, Book One: A Beginning Text in the Chinese Character" by Fred Wang Fang-yu (traditional script and Yale romanization!) and Integrated Chinese (level 1, part 1) just to get a feel for roughly the same grammar content with other examples. And of course, new content at LingQ. I spoke on Skype a few times.

Some statistics:
LingQs Created 5671 (words/phrases that I've saved)
LingQs Learned 4777 (words/phrases that I've learned over time)
Hours of Listening 623.2
Words of Reading   18330 (the LingQ tool counts words in the texts you read, so my books and university texts aren't included here)

Spreadsheet stats:

Scriptorium: 5 hours
Listening: 625.5 hours (probably somewhere between 623 and 625 since LingQ has another value)
Reading:     59.5 hours
Analysis: 35.5 hours (grammar etc.)
Shadowing: 11.5 hours
Total: 736.75 hours
Average:     121 minutes/day

My main vocabulary tool is and has been Anki (10 000+ items), which has most of what I've saved at LingQ (and vice versa). I will add the HSK sentence set in a while.

I rarely practice Chinese actively (speaking or writing) except for the written exams. I still have far too many gaps (vocabulary and grammar), but I'm improving all the time. I know that my pronunciation is OK.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6269 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 14 of 24
29 January 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Good work! Do you use the Hanzi stats plugin for Anki to tell you how many characters you
know?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 24
29 January 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
Oh yes, I added the plugin immediately when I first read about it (I think it was you who mentioned it a while ago).

My HSK stats (as of Jan 29th 2010):

This deck contains 2119 unique Hanzi.

HSK Level
Basic (甲) 803 of 803 100.0%
Elementary (乙) 759 of 798 95.11%
Intermediate (丙) 250 of 589 42.44%
Advanced (丁) 188 of 670 28.06%

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6708 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 24
16 October 2011 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Time for an update.

The year started with several rounds of L-R. Material: Antoine de Saint-Éxupery's "Little Prince"/"小王子", shared and uploaded by Sprachprofi. Then some combined reading and grammar study with "Elementary Chinese I" (Shangwu Yinshuguan).

No real hardcore studies until I decided to give my post-poned exam (from Dec 2008!) a chance. I had the ambition to listen to all the material (just over two hours) everyday for the two months before the exam. Things didn't go as planned, but I took the exam - and failed. After that, I lost motivation and didn't do much. Some new content at LingQ during the year. The LingQ statistics are skewed since "last year" means the past 12 months (and I'm about 10 months late with this update...), but my spreadsheet has this info:

Scriptorium: 11,5 hours
Listening: 357,25 hours
Reading:     17,75 hours
Analysis: 11,25 hours (grammar etc.)
Shadowing: 11.5 hours
Total: 397,75 hours
Average:     65 minutes/day

My main vocabulary tool still was Anki (13 000+ items).

HSK stats (as of today, Oct 16th 2011):

This deck contains 2477 unique Hanzi.

HSK statistics (characters):

HSK Level
Basic (甲) 803 of 803 100.0%
Elementary (乙) 797 of 798 99.87%
Intermediate (丙) 377 of 589 64.01%
Advanced (丁) 279 of 670 41.64%

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version