France
Joined 5927 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Danish
Studies: Icelandic, Greenlandic

Message 9 of 31
17 March 2008 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
Schaumgebremst wrote:
Greenlandic is way different, but I'd assume it's pretty logical and once the patterns are clear to you it's probably not hard at all. So from my absolutely unreliable point of view, I'd assume Icelandic is harder. Because once you've mastered the suffixes of Greenlandic and whatnot, it's no problem.

It may be a bit late to answer, but I really can't help... Greenlandic is beyond all comparison. Yes, Greenlandic is rather logical, indeed, but with its own logic, and its structure is much different from indo-european languages' structure.
It is true that Icelandic is a difficult language, but it is easier to learn than Greenlandic. For someone whose language is indo-european, the vocabulary of Icelandic is easier to learn than the one of Greenlandic, but above this, the syntax of Icelandic is much closer.
I've been studying Greenlandic for almost one year, and I'm hardly able to write 2 or 3 correct sentences. Not to mention the pronounciation...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6579 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 10 of 31
17 March 2008 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Greenlandic's probably as hard as Japanese, but at least you get too use Roman letters. :) Mind you, it'll help to learn the Canadian syllabics if you want to communicate with Canadian Inuit (who speak more-or-less a dialect of Greenlandic).
1 person has voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6127 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 11 of 31
17 March 2008 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Veig is correct.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were far more difficult than any Eastern Asian language. It is indeed utterly foreign.

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6126 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 12 of 31
17 March 2008 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I'm frankly puzzled. The original poster speaks English and studies Spanish and Russian. The leap to either Icelandic or, especially, to Greenlandic, is a mystery. I suppose if one has acres of time on one's hands...

kaptengröt
Tetraglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 4149 days ago

92 posts - 163 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 31
10 January 2013 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Just an update in case anyone sees this in the future and wonders - I have searched pretty hard for resources in Icelandic for Greenlandic and have only found a single grammar overview, which had mistakes in it and was most likely originally in Danish, and by now I have already translated it to English and got some learners to fix the mistakes.

Actually I have found even LESS than that for Faroese, a language which is practically a dialect of Icelandic (more exists for Faroers to learn Icelandic than the other way around though). I guess Iceland doesn't care so much.

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6126 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 14 of 31
10 January 2013 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
kaptengröt wrote:
Just an update in case anyone sees this in the future and wonders - I have searched pretty hard for resources in Icelandic for Greenlandic and have only found a single grammar overview, which had mistakes in it and was most likely originally in Danish, and by now I have already translated it to English and got some learners to fix the mistakes.

Actually I have found even LESS than that for Faroese, a language which is practically a dialect of Icelandic (more exists for Faroers to learn Icelandic than the other way around though). I guess Iceland doesn't care so much.

I would think that there would be more Danish sources than Icelandic, since they were both basically Danish colonies. I have an acquaintance here in the US who was born Icelandic, with some Norwegian ancestry. He's elderly and retired from a career with Icelandair and its predecessors. He says, rather bitterly, that he grew up thinking he had to ask a Dane for permission to take a shit. His words - not mine. When he was naturalized as a US citizen, he was asked if he wanted to adopt a new name. He opted for "Asp." (That name has its own history because of Shakespeare/Cleopatra/snake/suicide. In fact, one Norwegian friend referred to him as "Mr. Snake.") Anyway, I asked him why "Asp." He replied that his native name (which appears to me to be Norwegian, rather than Icelandic), would be too hard to pronounce - "Asplundh." I really couldn't reply. One of the very largest tree-trimming companies in the US is named "Asplundh." They have these big orange "bucket trucks" all over most of the US, with the name "Asplundh" on the side. However, I appreciate his concern. My family name used to be "Sjóúlfur," which can't be pronounced in English, so it became simply "Self."   

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 15 of 31
10 January 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
But Greenlandic people all manage to learn Danish, which must be just as alien to them as Greenlandic is to speakers of Germanic and Romance languages.

Malek
Groupie
Christmas Island
Joined 4154 days ago

60 posts - 76 votes 

Message 16 of 31
10 January 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
I suggest using Wikipedia when looking into languages. It will tell you which family grouping they belong to and some other information.

Faroese isn't 'practically a dialect of Icelandic'. Why must smaller variants just be parts of the bigger languages? Why can't they just be seen as equals?

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version