31 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Malek
Groupie
Christmas Island
Joined 4154 days ago

60 posts - 76 votes 

Message 17 of 31
10 January 2013 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Also, 'Canadian Inuit' is not simply a dialect of Greenlandic.

Why must language learners further this ridiculous idea? It's one step away from 'well, it's ONLY a dialect of X, lets force them to speak the real language...'

(because 'dialect of...' is almost always interpreted by the general public as 'inferior to')

p.s. Languages don't have 'logic', they have 'grammar'. :)

Edited by Malek on 10 January 2013 at 1:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

MarcusOdim
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4658 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 

Message 18 of 31
10 January 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Malek wrote:

Why must language learners further this ridiculous idea? It's one step away from 'well, it's ONLY a dialect of X, lets force them to speak the real language...'

(because 'dialect of...' is almost always interpreted by the general public as 'inferior to')

I don't know why but I hate "dialects", damn, it's so much better and interesting when everybody speaks the same language, when people understand eah other easily.

I wish dialects would vanish, hopefully many are dying already
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 31
10 January 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
MarcusOdim wrote:
Malek wrote:

I don't know why but I hate "dialects", damn, it's so much better and interesting when everybody speaks the same language, when people understand eah other easily.

I wish dialects would vanish, hopefully many are dying already

I am not familiar with Groenlandic/Inuit, but I get Icelandic and Faroese on my Facebook page constantly, because I have most of my family there, and they are really close. The languages. Not my family.

Linguistically I guess they could be considered dialects of each other - just as sometimes people say that Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are just variations of the same language. I disagree, of course, but they are very close. I am not quite sure why people get upset by the idea though.

MarcusOdim - I am assuming you are being sarcastic here?

Malek
Groupie
Christmas Island
Joined 4154 days ago

60 posts - 76 votes 

Message 20 of 31
10 January 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Christin, they are indeed very close (Greenlandic and Inuit languages). The issue is that many people often pick the politically/economically dominant language and determine that everything else close to it is simply a 'dialect'.

I think that all Indo-European languages (and other language families) are just a single language with varying forms. Much like the human species has many forms.

Edited by Malek on 10 January 2013 at 6:11pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 21 of 31
10 January 2013 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Yes, written Icelandic and Faroese are very close, but not the spoken languages. Both have very conservative orthographies which hail from Old Norse and don't represent the changes in pronunciation. Spoken Icelandic and Faroese are definitely NOT mutually intelligible, so stating the latter might be a dialect of the former is absolutely absurd! If Faroese was a dialect of Icelandic, then by the same logic Norwegian would be a dialect of Danish, Dutch a dialect of German, and Catalan a dialect of Spanish.

mick33
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 22 of 31
11 January 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
If I remember what I have read about Faroese, the reason the written language resembles Icelandic is that Faroese existed only as a spoken language for about 300 years. Faroese again became a written language in the mid-19th century when Venceslaus Hammershaimb devised a spelling system that would show the historical etymological similarities with Icelandic and Old Norse. The spoken language had changed a lot by then and I'm not sure how similar Faroese now is to Icelandic.

I am not a linguist but I do know that amongst people who study linguistics there are splitters and joiners. I believe splitters would say that the examples Josquin gives are indeed distinct languages based on lack of mutual intelligibility, but joiners would agree with Malek and say that they are simply somewhat divergent dialects.

Edited by mick33 on 11 January 2013 at 12:12am

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6126 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 23 of 31
11 January 2013 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Yes, written Icelandic and Faroese are very close, but not the spoken languages. Both have very conservative orthographies which hail from Old Norse and don't represent the changes in pronunciation. Spoken Icelandic and Faroese are definitely NOT mutually intelligible, so stating the latter might be a dialect of the former is absolutely absurd! If Faroese was a dialect of Icelandic, then by the same logic Norwegian would be a dialect of Danish, Dutch a dialect of German, and Catalan a dialect of Spanish.

Not sure I agree with your tree. :) You mean Dutch isn't a dialect of German? :) I had a German next door neighbor for nine years who considered it as such. And she was Schwäbisch!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5145 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 31
11 January 2013 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I think this is where the classical " a language is a dialect with an army" comes in. I have a second cousin
from Iceland who due to some youthful indiscressions had to go to the Faroe Islands for some time, and he
said that he did not need to learn it or do any course, they were mutually intelligible.

Much like you could say for a Swede who goes to Denmark.

i have never seen any definition of just how big the differences must be for you to consider them languages
and not dialects linguistically, because politics is also a factor. Independent nations are more likely to insist
on independent languages. I think the people of Moldava insist that their language is not Romanian - linguists
may be less sure :-)

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version