Germany
Joined 4632 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 33 of 53
27 April 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
You're right, liammcg!

I did some Old Irish, but I decided to put it on hold until my Modern Irish was better. Old Irish morphology is a killer, especially initial mutations and the verbal system, but I want to go back there some day. Having a good grasp of Modern Irish might be an advantage when learning Old Irish, but learning both at the same time doesn't work.

By the way, thanks for the resources, jeff_lindqvist. I knew most of the "additional" materials you use, but I didn't know your main resources. Now I have to check whether I can get them through my university library.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 34 of 53
27 April 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I ordered the two main titles from Royal Irish Academy (about €15 a piece), but at least
the Old Paradigms book is also available online (maybe it was archive.org).

The teacher has also shared handouts as powerpoint slides with voice-over (in SWF format). I've found that it's best to use several resources (no surprise) and it's really about finding a good combination of online grammars, dictionaries, lessons (as those Word handouts I linked to on the previous page).

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5344 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 35 of 53
27 April 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Great links for Old Irish, Jeff - go raibh maith agat!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 36 of 53
01 May 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Status report April
Week 14
90 minutes on the weekly assignment: reading comprehension, questions (true/false/information not given);translating the same text into English;translating “If...then” clauses.
75 minutes of scriptorium (finishing GGS2:1)
An hour on preparing next week’s assignment - translating sentences (“I would...if” and past habitual); subordinate clauses (Dúirt sé/Deir sé go/gur/nach/nár); stringing two clauses together, doing the necessary changes (the go/gur/nach/nár came into play, as did independent and dependent verb forms).

Week 15
Grammar studies (Intermediate Irish, units 4, 11 and 12) and one-on-one lesson (based on those units) - 2 hours.
45 minutes finishing the last part of the assignment - a reading comprehension of this article and then writing a short summary (max. 300 words).
I got a late start at Old Irish II and had to work on that as well - 3 hours in total (lessons 21 and 22).
History repeats itself and this week’s Sunday was spent on Old Irish (lessons 23 and 24, 90 minutes), and studying Modern Irish grammar (Basic Irish - units 10-17;Intermediate Irish unit 13) for 3 hours.

Week 16
Grammar studies (Basic Irish unit 18-19), and the final one-on-one lesson - more on direct and indirect clauses.
90 minutes on the final assignment - all kinds of exercises on relative clauses with the head noun in a prepositional phrase or as a possessor (Example: Seo an fear + Bhí a mhac san ospidéal = Seo an fear a raibh a mhac san ospidéal.) and correcting a given verb form if necessary (dependent or independent).
45 minutes of shadowing (GGS2:2-6)
4 hours of scriptorium (GGS2:2-3)
Another round of shadowing (GGS2:3-7) - one hour.
90 minutes on Old Irish (lessons 25 and 26)

Week 17
2.5 hours on scriptorium GGS2:3
Exam day - as usual, I had two hours at my disposal. Being an internet course, I could take the test anytime in the day. Due to various technical issues on my side (and the level of the exam, I must say), I had to use every single minute. With 30 seconds left, the uploader couldn’t find my document… 11 seconds left… Buíochas le Día! That was a chaotic day to start with (a bad night's sleep and all that). I wasn't myself until a couple of days later...
Finally one hour of bilingual session with An Hobad/The Hobbit (pages 188-200).
And 90 minutes of Old Irish exercises (lessons 27 and 28).
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 37 of 53
04 May 2014 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
How is the shadowing working for you from GGGS? I'm thinking of working my way through GGGS2 using it.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 38 of 53
04 May 2014 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
It isn't different from shadowing any other kind of audio.

During blind-shadowing I don't expect to get everything right, but I'm trying - and by trying, I'm already better prepared to "speak". And the more I shadow (including looking at the translation, glancing at L2, and so on) the deeper understanding of the text I get - peeling it layer by layer like an onion, as Arguelles wrote. I'm quite satisfied with not knowing everything beforehand. After all, it only takes until next day to get to next "layer".

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5179 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 39 of 53
07 May 2014 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
The difficult thing for me with GGGS2 is that I feel I'm much more on my own when it comes to working the content. There are the dialogues, which in accordance with their style have some +1 (and maybe more) content, but the pedagogical sections aren't as fleshed out in GGGS1 and mostly repeat the same material rather than work the new stuff. So I don't feel confident enough to move on.

Do you work a dialogue to death or do you move on even if it's not quite ready yet and come back to it later? I'm thinking if I make myself an Assimil-type schedule of one dialogue a day (or a session if I happen to skip a day) with periodic reviews I should keep myself moving...right?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 53
07 May 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
When I say that I shadow five lessons, this means going through the relevant tracks all in one go, without repeats. As you know, the lessons in GGS1 have fill-in-the-blanks exercises etc. which I usually do as well, and due to the nature of those exercises, there's a lot of recurring material (typically the same phrases). So, the lesson I'm blind-shadowing won't be perfect (more like hit and miss, except for any repeated sentences), the lesson which I'm reading the translation is better (hint: I've blind-shadowed it the day before) and so on. A more Assimil-like Arguelles way to attack GGS would be to shadow a dialogue per day instead of a whole lesson - the reason being that the lessons of an Assimil course are shorter and easier to digest.

When I'm "finished" with GGS2, I might extract the dialogues and make individual tracks. I don't know.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 07 May 2014 at 11:37pm

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version