Silvestris
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 6352 days ago

131 posts - 136 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish*, German

Message 1 of 21
17 May 2007 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
So far diligent wading through the archives has turned up nothing, but I'm noticing a strange pattern among the students of Mandarin Chinese and Japanese.

I've seen many people who can converse and write comfortably and people like Khatzumoto who took a nonchalant 'you can do it' attitude towards Japanese.

However, I have yet to see one person who says the same about Mandarin. I know, there are tones but is Mandarin really so much harder?

Most students complain about memorizing the characters, but if Japanese has the same sort of writing system, why aren't we finding more frustrated (and serious) students who are ready to thrown kanji against the wall? Sure, there are some but the majority of the blame seems to go to Mandarin despite having a smaller precentage of students.

So I suppose the Hauptfrage here is "Is Mandarin all that much harder/different than Japanese?"
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 21
17 May 2007 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
I believe Japanese just has the advantage of having been popular for a longer time. I. e. there are many more people who have studied it for long enough to have a chance to be fluent now and also there are more Western study materials for Japanese, such as the Kanji methods. Of course there are also study materials for Chinese, but typically made in China, meaning they go the traditional way of teaching characters and the language by rote, which doesn't work as well for many Westerners.

I would still say that Chinese is easier than Japanese, because:
1. you only need to learn the characters (and 2000 may be enough), no syllaberies in addition. Characters can be learned through imaginative stories, the Kana can't.
2. most Chinese characters only have one way of pronouncing them or at most two, whereas in Japanese they have various readings depending on the context
3. Chinese grammar is much easier than Japanese grammar
4. Chinese word order is more intuitive for Westerners than Japanese word order
5. Even advanced students of Japanese have reported still being very unsure in choosing the correct form of politeness (which also may involve a new subset of common words like "eat", not just verb endings). In Chinese, politeness language-wise comes down to choosing "ni" or "nin" as personal pronoun, like German "du" or "Sie".

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6565 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 21
17 May 2007 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
I too am under the impression that Japanese is less easy than Chinese. Although I'm sure there will be some people here saying that you have to learn 4,000 or 5,000 characters in Chinese and not 2,000. Japanese use Chinese characters less often than Chinese, so I think if you study Chinese, then the characters would be reinforced more often than in Japanese.

In Japanese, the subject is left out, which can really be confusing to beginners since, at that stage, it is hard to tell if the person is talking about themself or about you.
But I think this word order problem can be overcome rather quickly. Surely no learner could claim to be intermediate and still have problems with this.

And the kana syllaberries are no problem to learn. They just take some practice.

Like Sprachprofi said, it seems Japanese has been popular a lot longer than Chinese, so it's easier to find an advanced student. Whichever language you choose, it's a big task trying to acquire all that vocabulary.

lady_skywalker
Triglot
Netherlands
aspiringpolyglotblog
Joined 6678 days ago

909 posts - 942 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, French, Dutch, Italian

Message 4 of 21
17 May 2007 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
The Japanese kana are extremely easy to learn (in my opinion) and there are fewer kanji to learn in comparison to Mandarin. However, most Japanese kanji have several readings and its grammar is more complex than Chinese grammar.

Then there's the politeness levels. These aren't necessarily tough in their own right but you'd need to develop a feel for knowing which is the right level of politeness to use!

Having said that, while Chinese grammar is arguably easier to learn than Japanese grammar, the tones may present problems at first (and, for some people, will always be problematic). A lot of work needs to go into memorising the right tone. Some people may tell you that getting the tones perfect isn't essential but I believe it is very important, especially if you ever want to take your Mandarin beyond beginners level.

Learning the Chinese characters is just as tricky as in Japanese, although most characters have only one reading (and usually a maximum of two or three different readings). The tricky part for me was memorising the right tone of each new character (this is something not really needed when learning Japanese kanji).

The only other factor that really sets Mandarin and Japanese apart, in my opinion, is the number of characters you would have to learn to reach a high level of reading fluency in Mandarin. 2000 characters is enough for everyday use but if you want to tackle Chinese literature or non-fiction, you will definately need a lot more characters under your belt (and usually the more obscure ones at that).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6556 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 5 of 21
17 May 2007 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
If you can master the pronunciation and tones early on, you can be chatting in conversational Mandarin inside of 6 months. Japanese takes longer.

I haven't taken Mandarin far, so in the long run, who knows. But the basic grammar is simpler and more familiar to an English speaker. It is also spoken somewhat more slowly than Japanese.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6258 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 6 of 21
17 May 2007 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
I find understanding spoken Mandarin quite easy. People speak it very slowly and clearly, I could usually perfectly transcribe the Pinyin of what is said even if I don't understand a word.

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6490 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 7 of 21
17 May 2007 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Here is one of the threads where we discussed the relative difficulty of learning Japanese and Mandarin. I believe Korean is also discussed in this one.

I believe most people come down on the side of Japanese being harder. But it does seem like Chinese characters are a real sore point for people studying Chinese. It never seems like you learn them all. I mean, I know that I've passed the 2000 mark a while back, but I still encounter new *characters* (as opposed to words) on each page of each text I read. It's a very rare ocassion when I actually know all of the characters in an entire page of text. And of course, at this point there's a good likelyhood that the characters are going to be more complex rather than an unknown simple shape.

I think that's the thing -- with Japanese, learners always kind of feel that the end is in sight. The road may be difficult and steep, but you can see your destination. With Chinese, it always feels like it's at night with a heavy fog. Sometimes you catch a momentary glimpse of what you think is your goal, but when you arrive there you realize it's just another abandoned post along the road, littered with the trash of people who have come this way before and chosen this point to give up.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6932 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 8 of 21
17 May 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee, I can't comment on the Japanese versus Chinese question, but I certainly appreciated your imagery. Awesome!

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version