Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 23
15 July 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I've found that how detrimental multitasking is varies greatly on the type. If secondary task(s) are something that can be done 'in the background' or largely from habit, the negative effect is fairly slight. If they require quick interaction (things like instant messaging), it's significantly worse.

I suppose the extreme example is something as habitual and built-in as breathing; while it can become a focus, one does it in the background essentially all the time, no matter how focused.

It also depends greatly on what the 'foreground' task is. Trying to combine coding or math with anything else is doomed to failure. Trying to juggle two coding projects is miserable. Trying to keep 5 instant messaging conversations going at once takes a bit of effort, but isn't significantly harder than doing one, unless the conversations require significant thought or are with extremely fast typists - neither of which are common scenarios.

Exclusive focus is -extremely- valuable, but multitasking comes with benefits as well. For instance, in the real world, inputs aren't as clean and tidy and isolated as they are in most language programs,. I've found multitasking (with tasks which take a little bit of concentration, but not a significant amount) quite useful, and it's actually aided me in being able to handle and understand languages under less-than-ideal circumstances. I don't think it would make sense as a primary mode of study, by any means, but in moderation, I definitely find it useful.

1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 23
15 July 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
As Poldrack explains it, the brain learns in two different ways. One, called declarative learning, involves the medial temporal lobe and deals with learning active facts that can be recalled and used with great flexibility. The second, involving the striatum, is called habit learning.

Wouldn't language learning involve more the second type? In that case... multitask away!

reineke
United States
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 19 of 23
15 July 2007 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3809/is_200201/ai_n9 067689/pg_8

Rather interesting. Brain and language learning. Striatum mentioned.

At a subcortical level, the main connections are located at the striatum. There is convincing evidence that highly automatized language skills are processed at this level. Agloti, Beltramello, Girardi, and Fabbro (1996) reported a case of aphasia where the patient had been bilingual in a Venetian dialect and standard Italian, two rather different languages. Her first and daily language was Venetian. However, after a stroke, she lost her Venetian language completely and was only able to speak standard Italian. It turned out that her brain damage was located at the subcortical level at striatum. The critical connection between the two major cortical language regions, Broca and Wernicke, was apparently upheld by insula, which is a cortical structure.

Another one, a bit too medical:

Recent functional neuroimaging studies support a likely role for the dominant striatum in language, as activations were found during various different tasks such as speech,25,26 syntactic processing,27,28 lexical processing,29 word memorisation,30 word retrieval,31 and writing.32

http://jnnp.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/76/7/940

Edited by reineke on 15 July 2007 at 4:20pm

reineke
United States
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 20 of 23
15 July 2007 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Very nicely explained. I'm off to stimulate my basal ganglia. I sure hope Volte's experiment succeeds.

August 5, 2008

Edit: this log has moved here

I am combining this log with my earlier one tracking my progress in Japanese.

Edited by reineke on 12 December 2008 at 1:33pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 21 of 23
15 July 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Which one of my experiments? And why half?

reineke
United States
Joined 6258 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 22 of 23
15 July 2007 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
The Polish audiobook thing. My basal ganglia were already overstimulated and in such a sorry state that I didn't pay attention to what I was writing. Multitasking! I wanted to say I'd be happy even with partial success :)

Edited by reineke on 15 July 2007 at 8:22pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6250 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 23 of 23
15 July 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Ahh, yes. Well, we'll see!

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version