lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6487 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 17 of 32
08 July 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
My mother's uncle is a priest, and he learned Latin through seminary.Do you know how fluent the priests get after that?Your right, that first man did have an atrocious accent.The second guy had a good one.So the only problem you found with the Latinum podcast was the approach?Do you know what accent it uses?
1 person has voted this message useful

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6155 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 18 of 32
08 July 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Latinum uses the Classical pronunciation, which is really not too much of a difference from the Ecclesiastical pronunciation.

The Adler podcasts on that site are good for pronunciation, but I don't think it's effective for learning to speak the language. It seems to be nothing more than drilling.

However, I am thinking of editing them (one way or another) for my own purposes.

LilleOSC
United States
Joined 6487 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds

Message 19 of 32
08 July 2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention that Wheelock supposely has a good Latin course. I don't think there are audio materials though.

LilleOSC
United States
Joined 6487 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds

Message 20 of 32
11 July 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
JasonChoi wrote:
   It seems to be nothing more than drilling.

You don't like drilling or is it that you don't think they work? They can be very effective, but some people don't like the dullness of them.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6155 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 21 of 32
11 July 2007 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Well, drilling with out a text seems to be a bit pointless to me. It just goes in one ear and out the other. I've listened to three of the Latinum podcasts for several days straight on my way to work and back, yet I can only utter a few sentences. By contrast, I can say phrases in Cantonese after having listened to Pimsleur's Cantonese.

I will admit that I understand the Latin much more than before, but I can't seem to remember how to say much of anything. With a text though, I think it will make a big difference. I am considering writing out the text of the Latin, so as to learn more efficiently :)

Edited by JasonChoi on 11 July 2007 at 11:47am

LilleOSC
United States
Joined 6487 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds

Message 22 of 32
11 July 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I just assumed there was a text for those Latin drills. That is bad that there isn't one. You said you did well with Pimsleur's Cantonese. Did you mean the drills? I heard that Pimsleur lacks texts, as well.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6155 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 23 of 32
11 July 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
yea Pimsleur lacks a text, though I don't know why I have an easier time with Cantonese.. I suppose it partly has to do with content that is more relevant to me. The Latin mp3s are based on an old book which was written long ago, and fortunately there is a text available, but it is difficult to look through the book.

Moreover, the content of these mp3s is not structured like the way it is with Pimsleur. I think that has a lot to do with it as well. Basically, the mp3s are simply recordings of a guy reading from the book. For example, a question would be read aloud in Latin, then in English, then again in Latin. Then the same thing is done for the next phrase/expression, and the next until the end of the recording. It doesn't seem to be very interactive. It seems to be primarily useful for learning pronunciation, but I don't know how useful it is for actually speaking in Latin.

I'm thinking it would be better if all the expressions were stated one after another, without any English and without repeated phrases (i.e. the second it is read aloud). This would create more of an authentic dialog from which to learn. Plus, by creating a text or typing it out, comprehension would be available without needing to hear the English. I personally think it's totally unnecessary for me to hear the English, since I'd rather hear the Latin and see the English via a bilingual text.

-Jason

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6155 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 

Message 24 of 32
11 July 2007 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Hmm... my thoughts on the Adler recordings on Latinum are changing. I've taken out all the silent gaps, to shorten the material. Simply taking out the gaps makes it more engaging for me.

Additionally, I suppose my attitude toward the recordings was affecting my opinion on the recordings. Having taken out the gaps, so as to constantly hear the language, I am getting a lot more out of it.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version