1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 27
10 August 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
furyou_gaijin wrote:

- excellent patterns for constructing new sentences through substitution;

- etc.

It is suprising how many topics can be covered by carefully remixing a sufficiently diverse set of very short dialogues.

I agree. What I have found of particular interest is that learning a number of very short dialogs is its own variation drill.
2 persons have voted this message useful

furyou_gaijin
Japan
Joined 6185 days ago

540 posts - 631 votes 
Speaks: Latin*

Message 10 of 27
10 August 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
winters wrote:
So, poetry, prose excerpts, even folk art, all of that can pass, but dialogues from language learning textbooks - no.

I wasn't specifically referring to language textbooks but rather dialogues from situations close to real life: recently developed podcasts are a great source of those. Movies are another great source.
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6349 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 27
10 August 2007 at 1:03pm | IP Logged 
Agreed. I get some great stuff from soap operas (TV dramas). But short podcasts, like chinese pod, are even more specific, and really focus on high frequency, useful phrases, so I think I'll listen to them more often. Thanks for the tips!

CaitO'Ceallaigh
Triglot
United States
katiekelly.wordpress
Joined 6656 days ago

795 posts - 829 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Czech, German

Message 12 of 27
10 August 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:
audiolang wrote:

We all have our speaking styles ,that's why we don't have to imitate other people.

But you get your speaking style from imitating someone. We have all gotten our native accents by imitating someone (most likely our parents).

I remember reading an article somewhere about how kids learn languages, and discovered that generally kids don't learn their accent from their parents. Most of the time, they pick up their mannerisms from other kids, subconscious peer pressure and all that. This makes sense to me, as I grew up with quite a few kids whose parents were from the UK and Australia, but their kids spoke just like I did. Or I spoke just like they did. :)

The memorizing of a monologue or short text intrigues me. I've seen a video of that first fellow in Canada, and was amazed. But what I can't connect is how the memorization of this six minute piece of text and audio could translate to speaking an entire language with a native sounding accent.

I'm guessing it's because once you've mastered those six minutes, you've affectively trained your mouth muscles to move in that way?

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6693 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 27
13 August 2007 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
winters wrote:
... but I absolutely refuse to memorise, and as such to carry inside of myself, something of absolutely no emotional or artistic value for me - and the dialogues you mention are precisely that.

I find that once a native dialogue starts to stick, just reproducing it and marvelling at the native-sounding result coming out of your mouth, is quite a powerful emotional and artistic experience all in itself ;o).

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6667 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 14 of 27
13 August 2007 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
For me I listened to a lot of German music, and that helped. I wouldn't say I memorized it to the point where I could sing it at the drop of a hat, but I could sing along with it, imitating their voices and so forth.

Memorizing texts is something I haven't really put much effort into, although I will likely do it with other languages I study.

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6114 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 15 of 27
13 August 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I learned a lot of German folk songs. I know more than most Germans, at least the younger ones...

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6810 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 16 of 27
13 August 2007 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Personally, I'd much rather memorize a dull dialog with high didactic value (i.e., containing lots of useful sentence fragments and themed vocabulary, such as those provided by Assimil or Living Language) than a dramatic monologue or poem that won't help me in everyday conversation. Hell, my francophone friends already laugh at me when I use constructs they consider too European (I live in Quebec), so I can't imagine their reaction if I started spouting Molière.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version