China
Joined 6841 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 25 of 27
03 September 2007 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:
solidsnake wrote:
maxb, can u recommend any good chinese dialogues for me to memorize? Please also include sources (transcript and audio). Thanks

When I did some work on my accent last fall I used on of the podcasts on this site.

These are podcasts on various topics done by a fast talking beijinger and since I am pretty partial to the beijing accent myself I chose one of them for memorization. Transcripts of some of the podcasts can be found here.

Look for blogentries prefixed with 有一说二

MAXB- I can't get any sound at all from that site, any ideas on what software I need to install to make that player work?

thanks-
1 person has voted this message useful

solidsnake
Diglot
China
Joined 6841 days ago

469 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 26 of 27
03 September 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
fixed, i opened the page via realplayer, and everything is good now.

His content is great, is his speaking considered fast tho? I think it is average beijing speed. If anyone wants to listen to extremely fast chinese, check out some of the newscasts on GLOSS, where my gf (a native speaker) has trouble catching everything. I think some are even artifically sped up to be more challenging for students.

edwin
Triglot
Canada
towerofconfusi&Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

160 posts - 183 votes 
9 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 27 of 27
10 September 2007 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
maxb wrote:

1. Jerry Dai. A chinese who immigrated to canada and now speaks english with a near native or native american (or maybe canadian) accent. He started his learning by memorizing the first lesson of a course called "Family album USA". According to himself he spent 6 months memorizing this 6 minute dialog.

Of course, Jerry did not spend the entire 6 months just to memorize the 6-minute dialog! He also tried to improve his English in other ways. For example, he found a job as a telesales rep (if I remember correctly).

During the process of memorizing the dialog, Jerry must have practiced the dialog aloud many times. This alone could train his accent.

I am also a supporter of memorization for language learning. I started learning Mandarin by spending 2 entire weeks to memorize both the text and pronunciations of the first chapter of 1 John.

Remember, it is always the first few dialogues that would take a lot of time. Things will speed up as you go.

Edited by edwin on 10 September 2007 at 11:53am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version