4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 129 of 140
21 August 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Aeroflot wrote:
Volte wrote:
Aeroflot wrote:

You're right, it's not a universal language, it's the universal language. Just think about the semantics of that for a second.

It most assuredly is not. Many people in Western Europe don't speak passable English. An even lower percentage of people in regions like Japan or Eastern Europe do.

You don't understand what I'm saying. A universal language and THE universal language are two different ideas. A universal language is one that is universal and everyone knows it. THE universal language means in reality what the most international language is. There is a subtle difference in the articles A and THE.

My native language is English; I understand the difference between "a" and "the sufficiently, thank you. The distinction would be relevant in some cases; this is not one of them.

The problem is in the word "universal", not in the article.

Aeroflot wrote:

I'm not saying everyone knows English, I'm saying it is the one most sought after for international affairs.

We fully agree on this point.

1 person has voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5711 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 130 of 140
22 August 2009 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Okay I'm going to ignore better part of this thread and just post an opinion about the original "why" question...

I've learned Esperanto for the simple reason that I could, had some time to spare and thought it would be a curious experience to learn a planned language.

I do believe that it's not as easy to learn as some people say it is, it depends on whether you speak certain Indo-European languages or not. Also the pronounciation can be a challenge if your language doesn't have those specific consonants in it's sound inventory. But the basics are easier to learn than natural languages.

Now the thing about any language is that it's alive, and what I've observed is that Esperanto is taking on increasingly those aspects of a language that makes it hard to learn (idioms, nuance, etc.). It be interesting what Esperanto would turn out to be in another hundred years as communication within the movement increases so much with the internet compared to when it was created, it might just had all those problems that many "natural languages" have... Who knows?

I'm not all a "Fin Venko" proponent, at least not how it's proposed by UEA and many Esperantists these days. Although I do think ik can act as a helpful tool between groups who don't have another language in common, as it can be learned more quickly.

As for propedeutic value of Esperanto, I think for those first time language learners it might take away the threshold of learning a language first time. For those with experience in learning languages I'd think it wouldn't help or change that much...

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6175 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 131 of 140
09 September 2009 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Karakorum wrote:
Sprachprofi, the example of Hebrew was in fact to point out that I would choose a natural language with a very limited scope over Esperanto. But your post is great, I'd probably read all of this like on Wikipedia for example, but it makes a whole lot of difference when a personal spin is put on it. I guess you hit the nail right on the head, Esperanto can't and should not be compared to natural languages. Its basic nature and definition makes any such comparison futile. I can see the appeal, and can appreciate it. I do, however, think many people (not me) would see much of the appeal as "cultish" and be turned off by it. I guess as you said it takes a certain kind of open minded person to do this.

1) You could learn both Hebrew and Esperanto. I think it goes without saying that you'd learn Esperanto in a fraction of the time and you'd be well on your way to other languages.
2) There's no such thing as a natural language. No one knows when languages sprang up, but it is known that their no intrinsic to human beings and that all vocal organs have a different primary purpose.
3) What language isn't "cultish"?

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6175 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 132 of 140
18 September 2009 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Karakorum wrote:
I guess this may have been asked before, but could Esperantists please elaborate.

Other than being easy, what advantages does Esperanto offer? Esperanto has about 2 million speakers, Hebrew about 4 million native speakers. If I have time to learn either, I would choose Hebrew with no compunctions. The main reason is that compared to any living language Esperanto sounds bland and artificial. It just sounds wrong to me. But I have to admit the prospect of learning a language in 3 months sounds intriguing. If you went through the experience, please share why you did it, and if you have any insights in retrospect.

First, if you are to compare Esperanto to a Jewish language, it should be Yiddish. Second, are you sure it sounds artificial? Are you sure you don't mean it sounds foreign and you're just letting your prejudice translate that as "artificial"? Personally, I love how Esperanto sounds. The -oj endings sound so much better than the hard z sounds of English et al.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5841 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 133 of 140
18 September 2009 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
My "expert" opinion on the question is that learning Esperanto is worth it only if you enjoy it ;-P. This could be motivated by a desire to communicate in a "universal language" (whatever that means), linguistic curiosity or a want to be offbeat.

The argument that Esperanto helps with learning other languages is questionable. In my opinion it would be a redundant step that delays the real thing. Also, Esperanto-bashing is the favourite spare time activity of many more than the 2 million speakers. Those who study it must prepare to be evangelists of a sort ^_^. It's not something for the feeble hearted.

Edited by Sennin on 18 September 2009 at 5:16am

3 persons have voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5837 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 134 of 140
18 September 2009 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
I think every language learnt is another tool in the communicative tool-belt.

Enough said in my mind.

pauswa
United States
paulaesperanto.wordp
Joined 6099 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Studies: Esperanto

Message 135 of 140
20 September 2009 at 12:20am | IP Logged 
If it sounds "bland and artificial" and "just sounds wrong to you," then don't bother learning it. You should like the language you study, or it's a waste of time for you. Most of the people who learned Esperanto did so because they enjoyed learning it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5654 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 136 of 140
21 September 2009 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Why learn Esperanto?

Let me give some plausible answers to this question. I am not an ideologically oriented person, so the "interna ideo" of Ludoviko Zamenhof had nothing to do with my motivation to learn the language. To be very honest, I never beleived that Esperanto may become the world language and I still find this vision unrealistic.

Esperanto has a simplified and logical grammar structure, I found this interesting because I like logically structured languages. I didn't have the possiblity to travel far and I was looking for international contacts - especially with the Netherlands. I was looking for penfriends and I always liked being in groups, for example as a weekend trip. And I was very curious to explore how an artificial language would function as a means of communication.

And then - in 1992 - I discovered that five minutes away from my house - there was an Esperanto group meeting once a week - and their meetings were free of charge.

So I wanted to explore that further... Luckily I found an old Esperantist who was willing to give me - voluntarily - private Esperanto lessons.

Having learned the language, I discovered the following personal advantages of it:

1. Esperanto - being an easy language - can be learned much quicker than some European languages, I had already learned.
2. For international communication usage Esperanto is a neutral language.
3. Esperanto courses are often very cheap and therefore accessible to poor people.
4. Esperanto offers many group meetings or group weekends - often with foreign visitors or lecturers from foreign countries.
5. There's "Pasporta Servo" which offers Esperanto-travelling staying in host families free of charge all over the world
6. There's "Koresponda Servo Mondskala" which offers addresses of possible penfriends for Esperanto correspondence (at low costs!)
7. Esperantists have the reputation of being open-minded.
8. There are some ideologists in the Esperanto-movement, but it's not the majority.
9. Esperanto is the artificial language which has the biggest community of speakers.

Adding all there points together it gives me enough motivation and the conclusion that it has been a good choice for me to learn Esperanto.

I see only one main disadvantage of Esperanto:

It's a real hobby-language, that means it is almost impossible to use it professionally and to earn money with it.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 21 September 2009 at 10:46pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 140 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version