Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6149 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 33 of 44
22 June 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
What do you mean they don't exist? the long a is like f[a]ther, long e like w[ee]d, long o like m[oo]n

Edited by anime on 22 June 2013 at 9:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6149 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 

Message 34 of 44
22 June 2013 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
If would also very much appreciate if somebody knew a resource, a PROPER English-persian dictionary, with phonetic transcripts, also preferably more words than the 1000 or whatever words that's in the phrase books.

or French, German, Spanish, Portugese, Swedish, Italian-Persian dictionary, it really doesn't matter, just a language I can read

Edited by anime on 22 June 2013 at 10:05pm

cheers100
China
languageloverr.cnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3985 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 35 of 44
24 June 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
anime wrote:
What do you mean they don't exist? the long a is like f[a]ther, long e like w[ee]d, long o like m[oo]n

If you hear the audio about the long vowel i.e. salaam. It doesn't exiist in most European languages.

I have been fighting to learn this.

Edited by cheers100 on 25 June 2013 at 12:41pm

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6149 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 

Message 36 of 44
24 June 2013 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Yeah the problem is more remembering when there's supposed to be a closed, long aa like in Fârsi or open
a [æ] like in kardan. often this will be mixed up like in âdam=human, etc, and there doesn't seem to be much
of a system to when it's either.

Pronouncing the vowels shouldn't be a problem for English speakers though, even if your
pronunciation of â is slightly off they should still understand you. It's not Chinese after all.

Edited by anime on 24 June 2013 at 11:39am

cheers100
China
Joined 3985 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 37 of 44
24 June 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
I am afraid it is not only for Chinese, but the long vowel DOESN'T exist in European
languages at all.

I have asked some people who are German, Hungarian, Spanish, American, etc. Their
listening is same as me. It sounds like o: But it is wrong.

If a person fails to distinguish how it is pronounced exactly, it is unlikely to
pronounce correctly.

Sorry, I don't believe even Europeans can pronounce it accurately without any effort. (I doubt Europeans can even pronounce it as there is not exact phonetic symbol to match this Persian long vowel. I am afraid if without a native speaker to correct the pronounciation face to face, Europeans cannot pronounce it either. Our ears would cheat what we hear.)

You can find a native speaker of Persian's pronounciation first, and then tell us what
you hear.

Please search Forvo for saa'at which means clock- ساعت

Edited by cheers100 on 24 June 2013 at 3:38pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4648 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 38 of 44
24 June 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
cheers100 wrote:
I am afraid it is not only for Chinese, but the long vowel DOESN'T exist in European
languages at all.

What about Swedish?

cheers100
China
Joined 3985 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes

Message 39 of 44
24 June 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
I don't speak Swedish, and didn't know a Swedish. But you can tell us what phonetic symbol is, and how you pronounce it, so I can tell.

Why not you search a website named Forvo. Several Europeans told me that was either o: or ɒ. If what you hear is same as them, and me, then it doesn't exist in Swedish either.

There are pronounciations of native speakers all over the world in that website. It is neither a: for English farther, nor o: in English clock, and nor ɒ in German.

A German once very firmly told me it is ɒ. However it is not that either.

What we hear will cheat us.

I watched the vedio of Professor Arguelles who shadowed a few Mandarin sentences back and forth in Youtube, but we can distingish his pronounciation is foreign even if we close our eyes. I venture to assume that he cannot really distinguish how Mandarin is pronounced, so his pronounciation of Mandarin sounds inaccurate, but we can understand. No offence. He needs a native speaker to tell him how to pronounce.

To accurately pronounce a foreign word, it is very necessary to disguish how it is pronounced, that is correct listening.

Edited by cheers100 on 24 June 2013 at 4:48pm

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6149 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 

Message 40 of 44
24 June 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Can you please give it a rest about the long a. It really doesn't matter, believe me. YOU WILL BE
UNDERSTOOD if you pronounce it like father. I have listened to enough native Persian to know that it's close
enough to father not to make a big deal about it

Edited by anime on 24 June 2013 at 9:37pm

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version