32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6172 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 25 of 32
03 March 2012 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Assimil courses are so great that someone who wants to learn many languages would do well
to learn French early on so they can use the French Assimil courses.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4507 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 32
05 March 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
I've bought the English course. We'll see how far we get with this, shall we?

ericblair
United States
Joined 4511 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 27 of 32
08 March 2012 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Any idea how long it will be until it is available cheaper? Note, I do NOT mean illegal
downloading. I just mean how there are many carriers on Amazon for the other courses
for way less than it is available direct from Assimil. I have no qualms paying for
something, but being on a fairly tight budget for the time being, I much prefer to save
some money.

I but the Italian course for ~$32 on Amazon! It is still listed on the Assiimil site
for right around 65 euros! Haha.

Since it is brand new, should I be thinking just a few months for it to get out in the
supply chain? Or more like a few years?

Also, I highly recommend that everyone that uses or has used Assimil in the past email
them! I've had quite a nice dialogue going with one of the employees. I said I was
very happy with my Italian purchase and she let me in on knowing that they are making
an updated Hebrew with Ease for English speakers! So, I think the potential for growth
is there. But buying legal copies (I always laugh when I read this forum and it seems
so funny that so many posters happened to acquire a used copy of the same obscure
edition that was without audio, haha) and letting them know your interest is good for
everyone. Do your part, team!
2 persons have voted this message useful

hobbitofny
United States
Joined 6033 days ago

280 posts - 408 votes 
Studies: Russian

Message 28 of 32
08 March 2012 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
i see the used legal copies of the obsure editions many times a year on the web for sale. I have never seen the audio for them for sale. I do not find it ha ha nor is it a code for illegal copies.

daristani
United States
Joined 6944 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 29 of 32
08 March 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I agree with hobbitofny; you can find lots of old Assimil books for sale on E-Bay, but almost never are the records/cassettes available. The same goes for used book stores. Whether the books are produced in a one-to-one ratio with the audio sets, or whether more books are produced than the audio sets, I can't say, but I don't think having the book but not the audio should necessarily be taken as evidence of having obtained it via warez sites.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4457 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 32
08 March 2012 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
I have some old language courses for self learners (not Assimil). I bought them 20 years ago, still have the books but can't find the audio cassettes which came with it. I think to remember packing all the audio cassettes I owned away when I moved and never unpacking them. I suspect it was all thrown away at some point.

And for some reason, second-hand bookstores usually took only the book but not the audio, for reasons known only to them.

For me, this means that one has several times higher chance to find an used copy of the book alone for any old language course then the complete course.

There is surely some illegal copying, but frankly speaking, old books are much more "durable" than old audio.

Edited by Majka on 08 March 2012 at 7:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4511 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 

Message 31 of 32
08 March 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I meant no disrespect. Those of you who are honest know who you are. Those of you that are theives do as well. The point of my post was not to chastise. That should be clear since that line was only a short part of a much larger post.

The point I was getting at was that Assimil seems poised to somewhat expand on their offerings for those wanting programs with an English base. This seems like a positive for many on this site! I was just saying, it would be great for everyone that has had success and enjoyed the programs to give positive feedback.

Say 1 copy is bought and re-sold 5 or 6 times over the years. Say half the users have had success with it. If Assimil never hears from anyone, they can, at best, assume only the first person had success! There is a tendency on the internet to only really get involved and be vocal if you are displeased. I think it is also good to praise things that are positive as well. That is all :)

Once again, I intended no disrespect to those of you that play by the rules. I just notice quite a few references to downloading (mostly in older threads) and even googling about Assimil programs leads to torrent sites pretty high up in the search list. That is all.

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4471 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 

Message 32 of 32
09 March 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
If anyone has ordered it yet: how far along would this book take you, especially if combined with
some Pimsleur and Michel Thomas? That combo with Romance and Germanic languages can take you to the cusp of
B-1, but does this work for Russian too? Or does it take a lot more resources to reach that level?

They are claiming B-2, but that's probably stretching it:

http://www.assimil.com/photo.do?urlPhoto=/photos/003582-fron t-GRAND.png

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version