BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5270 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, Dutch, Flemish
Studies: Lowland Scots, Japanese, German

Message 81 of 173
26 December 2009 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
Choscura wrote:
she speaks passable Dutch, which I can understand, abe ik kanne sprekt en bejta.

Lol I think you mixed Dutch and German there! :P
1 person has voted this message useful

elvisrules
Tetraglot
Joined 5270 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 

Message 82 of 173
26 December 2009 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
I live in Flanders on the border with Brussels and the locals here speak an awesome Flemish/French creole-like language. I can understand it almost perfectly except for some very local dialectal words. If only I can someone to whom I could speak such a mixed language to...

xtremelingo wrote:

Why speak about other people in a different language (particularly if it is negative)?

I get annoyed by people who use their language skills for these reasons. It usually does cause trouble and hurt if you are caught and generally ruins the entire impression of people that speak foreign languages.

It can develop a sense of resentment toward the language/culture of those speakers - when it really isn't the fault of the culture, but the idiots who use the language in a cowardly way (talking behind people's back).

I haven't understood what is the point of talking rudely about someone that has done nothing wrong/harm to you? And if they did, why not then have the guts to be able to say what you feel in a language they can understand too? If you don't have the guts, then why say anything at all - at the time?

I mean if you're using language in a positive/complimentary way then fine. If you have nothing good to say - don't say it!

Guilty as charged. :X
In some places people's attitudes are worse than those speaking behind people's backs such as in Wales where non-Welsh speakers often seem to think that those speaking in Welsh are talking about them...

elvisrules
Tetraglot
Joined 5270 days ago

286 posts - 390 votes 

Message 83 of 173
26 December 2009 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Reisender wrote:
I remember one time though when a french friend of mine (who doesn't speak English) had a friend coming over who wasn't capable of speaking Italian. So we had this weird situation where we had no shared language spoken by the three of us which we could use. I was talking in Italian with my friend and English with the visitor and they were talking french with each other. I really have to improve my french some day...

Haha I used to have the same with my Hungarian in-laws, some of whom spoke French, others English: everyone could talk to each other, but not in one language!
Hilarious situation! Especially on family occasions. Doesn't happen anymore since the divorce though......
2 persons have voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5447 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 84 of 173
26 December 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
I just come from doing a backpack tour inside my country (mexico) with some quebec friends. One time one friend and I were seated when a young girl came to do to us a survey, she told us something in Spanish, and I told my friend in french "I´ll pretend that I´m from quebec too", we did the survey in English and asked the girl for her phone number. We invited her out afterwards and asked her to bring friends. It was one of the funniest experiences in my life. They said all kind of things between them in their "secret language" (even sexual). There was a point when I was speaking with one in English when she just said in Spanish "te puedes ligar a la que quieras" (you can hook up with whoever you want). Priceless.
6 persons have voted this message useful

MegatronFilm
Triglot
United States
peligrosa.tumblr.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5739 days ago

130 posts - 275 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 85 of 173
31 January 2010 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
As a white Spanish speaker, people just assume that I can't speak Spanish. I'll listen into conversations and then
respond. The look on people's faces is so funny when I start speaking fluent Spanish to them. Its always followed
with, "You speak Spanish?!".

I have used Spanish as a secret language, but its so hard because so many people speak, or at least understand it.
As a kid I would use Greek as a secret language because not many people speak it in this area. I have no one to
speak greek with anymore :(

The Blaz
Canada
theblazblog.blogspotRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5401 days ago

120 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Swahili, French, Sign Language, Esperanto

Message 86 of 173
04 February 2010 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
I remember being in Kenya with my then-girlfriend doing some work with an NGO. We were
talking with a church minister and she wanted to tell me something private so she tried
to use French, but she REALLY doesn't know french so I had nooo idea what she was saying.
So much for that...

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5220 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 87 of 173
06 February 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
In Spanish just using local slangs (jergas) would be a secret way of avoiding being understood...

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5334 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 88 of 173
05 March 2010 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
When I was learning sign language at school me and my friend used it on lot of occasions.
We were pretty much only ones who were half decent at it so others would not understand a
thing. The best part of it was that we were able to silently communicate over classroom.
During boring classes we discussed things we'd do after school or what we'd have for
dinner later on.

Once we were caught during one test, we were forbidden to use it in class. Though the
irony was that neither of us needed actually help from each other, we were both pretty
good students, we just chatted boredom away.

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version