Joined 4629 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 145 of 173
25 September 2011 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
scop wrote:
For Irish people this one is easy considering that very few people bother
to learn our language. Works quite well for talking about the opposite sex or making
decisions say about leaving a party early or something.

On a side note Irish prisoners in British jails traditionally spoke in Irish for
obvious reasons ;-)

Reminds me, there is a Welsh language film (now that's a rarity in itself - I think it
might be called "The White Feather" in English, but I might have mis-remembered), the
action of which takes place in the first world war - It's about a poet who wants to
become a bard at the Eisteddfod). Anyway, he's in a Welsh regiment, but with English
officers who don't know Welsh.

On one occasion, the officer is giving one of the Welsh-speaking privates a dressing
down for some infringement of discipline or a scruffy uniform or something, and the
private says to him "Kye dee gegg" (that's not the spelling, which I've forgotten, but
that's the rough pronunciation expressed in English).

The officer asks the sergeant what the private just said, and he replied "He says that
he is very sorry sir and that he will try his best in future". Of course it really
means "shut your mouth!" :-)

My wife learned Welsh at school, and got the joke before I did :-)

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4629 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 146 of 173
25 September 2011 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:

What really surprised me was how often this kind of thing happened during the week we
were there, albeit less hilariously. Every time we opened our mouths in shops people
standing right next to us would announce to their friends "They're German" and proceed
to tell each other how ugly they thought our language sounded. The English seem quite
unaware of how widely they are understood by people of other nationalities.

Oh dear, this explains why I have such a love-hate relationship with my fellow-
countrymen, at least some of them. :-(   And the same time, these people probably
expect to be understood by everyone if they speak English abroad....just speak louder
and they'll understand...
There again, given the rabid xenophobia displayed by so many of the tabloid newspapers
here, and which sadly so many people "read", perhaps it's not so surprising.

On a more positive note, a couple of people have mentioned Sign Language. A problem
with this is that you can't conceal from those around you that you are using it.
However, (and it surprised me on first learning it, to be honest), the SLs of different
language groups are not the same as each other. There is a wonderful film from Germany
called "Jenseits der Stille" about a little girl who has to interpret for her deaf-and-
dumb parents. I learned on the additional material of the DVD that the father was
actually played by an American actor who was deaf-and-dumb, but had to learn the German
version of Sign Language for the part.

(Sorry, there is a more politically-correct term for not being able to speak or hear,
but I can't remember what it is).

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4835 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 147 of 173
25 September 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

(Sorry, there is a more politically-correct term for not being able to speak or hear,

Deaf mute
2 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5392 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 148 of 173
26 September 2011 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
This happened to a friend of mine. Although she is an American born native speaker of English,she is of Polish ancestry and is fluent in that language. She is raising her daughter to be bi-lingual. She and her teenage daughter were in a store. The owner was Russian. The daughter remarked to her mother, in Polish, about how fat the man was. To the girl's surprise and embarrassment, the man answered in Polish that he was fat but he at least did not talk badly about strangers.
12 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4629 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 149 of 173
27 September 2011 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
Quote:

Deaf mute

Apparently that is not acceptable either:

http://www.nad.org/issues/american-sign-language/community-a nd-culture-faq

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4629 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 150 of 173
10 October 2011 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I thought I had discovered "German Rhyming Slang" for a minute, but it turns out that
it's invented:

http://auftakt.blogspot.com/2008/05/its-german-rhyming-slang .html

Fun idea though.

Deerhound
Triglot
England
Joined 4706 days ago

30 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Toki Pona
Studies: French, Mandarin, Esperanto, Greek, Latin, Welsh

Message 151 of 173
19 October 2011 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
I love this thread! xD

shadowcalm
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 5776 days ago

29 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Latin, Ancient Greek, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 152 of 173
04 December 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
As a freshman in college, I went to the language lab to take a test on some recorded French materials. I told the lab assistant what I needed, and he asked me to wait a minute as he was talking with a woman I recognized as a Spanish major. The lab was pretty small and I was the only other person in there at the time, so it was impossible not to listen to the two of them. After throwing a quick glance in my direction, the assistant began to speak to the woman in Spanish. I immediately spoke up , "Oh, I can..." He cut me off, however, and with a sharp look added, "I said I'd be with you in a minute!" So, I heard a 5-minute discussion about the rumors concerning his relationship with a certain French TA. The funny thing was that his Spanish wasn't all that good. I almost felt like jumping in and helping him with a phrase or two that he was struggling with, but I held my tongue until the woman finally left, at which point I said in Spanish, "And now I can take that test." It took a full second for him to notice that I wasn't speaking English, and then he exclaimed, "You speak Spanish!? Did you understand everything?" I nodded. "Why didn't you say anything?" he asked. I answered quite sincerely, "I tried, but you didn't listen!" I figured I not only taught him a lesson but also gave him the opportunity to practice his Spanish.   

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version