Gibraltar
Joined 6817 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 31
28 September 2007 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
jeff-lindqvist wrote:
However, it would almost be strange if a polyglot who was a native speaker of Spanish didn't learn Catalan, Galician, Portuguese and French. Who could blame this guy?

I didn't mean to belittle Jorge's achievements. I was commenting on the author of the article (I've amended my post above to reflect this).
1 person has voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6089 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 31
03 October 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Amazing!

Henryk
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6151 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: German, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Swedish

Message 11 of 31
22 November 2007 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
Depends on what you understand by speaking a language. If he's fluent in those languages, then so am I in all I stated on my profile. His German is broken and riddled with various mistakes even though it is just a simple sentence. His other languages are everything but fluent, as well. No admiration from me, sorry.

Edited by Henryk on 22 November 2007 at 2:32pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6505 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 31
22 November 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I have now listened to the two clips several times. The big problem with them is that we never hear more than a couple of sentences in a row, then it's back to Spanish.

It is true that he has varying degrees of accent, and his German pronunciation was definitely one of the least convincing (not worth 4½ on a 5 point scale). I also had a slightly queasy feeling about his French pronunciation, and his Swedish lacked the characteristic lilt. I fairly sure I heard him say "ele fos la prima persona" in 'Romainian' (yes! he said a diphtong in the middle af the word "româna"). There are other errors here and there... but frankly, those errors didn't seriously hinder the comprehension, and at least he generally didn't speak haltingly or in an unsecure way - on the contrary. It is also true that only one of his languages is really exotic (Chinese), which makes the number 12 less impressive, but even with those reservations I do find his accomplishments quite noteworthy. And the most funny thing was that his father didn't even notice what junior was doing right under his nose!

Edited by Iversen on 22 November 2007 at 4:33pm

Scott Horne
Canada
Joined 6027 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes

Message 13 of 31
22 November 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
You've identified a pervasive problem: what it means to "know" a language is not defined. Some people claim proficiency in a language even though they can't handle a basic exchange of greetings; others deny proficiency even though they would pass an exam at the European C2 level.

In Chinese we say "实磨无声空磨响,满瓶不动半瓶摇": a solid millstone is silent, whereas a hollow one makes noise; full bottles stay still while half-filled ones rattle about.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6711 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 31
22 November 2007 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
(Quote ripped from this thread):
Vlad wrote:
what do you guys think? I think they exaggerated a little, but the kid did speak the languages.

how was his Romanian, Sweedish and Gallician interview?

The sound quality was not that good in the Swedish interview (03:59-04:22). I mostly heard his teacher (and the speaker), and only a sentence or two from himself (very foreign accent).

apparition
Octoglot
United States
Joined 6452 days ago

600 posts - 667 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), French, Arabic (Iraqi), Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Pashto

Message 15 of 31
22 November 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
As far as fluency in languages on THIS website, I use the criteria set-up by the Admin on the profile pages (reading a newspaper, conversing, etc.), because I figure we all are.

If you only select what you think you're fluent in based on your own criteria (whether they be to higher or lower standards than the Admin), you're doing everyone a disservice.

For the purposes of this website, I hope we'll all use Francois' criteria, or else those profiles are almost meaningless.

JasonChoi
Diglot
Korea, South
Joined 6161 days ago

274 posts - 298 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Latin

Message 16 of 31
06 December 2007 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Can someone post the actual youtube link?

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version