Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6505 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 31
06 December 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
part 1
part 2
1 person has voted this message useful

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6215 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 31
08 December 2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
The videos are like 99% Spanish. Bravo, at least we know he can speak that. What I was able to hear of his French, I was not impressed. His accent and pronunciation was quite poor.

Luismiguelagain
Bilingual Super Polyglot
PeruRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5990 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish*, FrenchC1, EnglishC1, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan, Latin, German, Portuguese, Mandarin, Ancient Greek, Quechua, Aymara, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Galician, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Czech, Sanskrit, Frisian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Biblical Hebrew

Message 19 of 31
16 December 2007 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm peruvian and I can actually say that he's my friend. We've both spoken several times and he's proved to be a polyglot. Even if there are always some mistakes, I think that the fact that matters the most is communication. If he can produce a message and transmit it, that's enough. I noticed a mistake when he answered "Grazie" to the well-known italian expression "in bocca al lupo"; however, I don't think that could have made communication impossible, certainly the italian woman understood. Criticising is very easy, and I can certify he's a polyglot.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6241 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 20 of 31
16 December 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Luismiguelagain wrote:
Well, I'm peruvian and I can actually say that he's my friend. We've both spoken several times and he's proved to be a polyglot. Even if there are always some mistakes, I think that the fact that matters the most is communication. If he can produce a message and transmit it, that's enough. I noticed a mistake when he answered "Grazie" to the well-known italian expression "in bocca al lupo"; however, I don't think that could have made communication impossible, certainly the italian woman understood. Criticising is very easy, and I can certify he's a polyglot.

Also, while 'grazie' isn't the canonical correct response, I've heard native speakers here use it occasionally. They then tend to look either look slightly embarrassed or correct themselves.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6215 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 31
17 December 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Luismiguelagain wrote:

He claims to speak French and apparently you do too. Did you speak to him in French? In which case, you would have noticed how bad his pronunciation is. It's not a matter of not being perfect, it's simply bad. It sounds like Frenish to me.

Luismiguelagain
Bilingual Super Polyglot
PeruRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5990 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish*, FrenchC1, EnglishC1, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan, Latin, German, Portuguese, Mandarin, Ancient Greek, Quechua, Aymara, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Galician, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Czech, Sanskrit, Frisian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Biblical Hebrew

Message 22 of 31
17 December 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
lloydkirk wrote:
He claims to speak French and apparently you do too. Did you speak to him in French? In which case, you would have noticed how bad his pronunciation is. It's not a matter of not being perfect, it's simply bad. It sounds like Frenish to me.

Well, yesterday I talked to him in french. We spoke in italian and afterwards in french. It's true that he has a very peruvian accent; nevertheless, what matters the most as I said, is communication. I understood him very well. There were some mistakes in his speech but there's also another thing to be analysed. When that interview was done, he was very nervous; I think it was his first time on tv. I noticed some -r at the end of the verbs like "parler", "aller", etc. Besides this, what he has done is noteworthy, he almost learnt all those languages by himself, and in this country....that is really weird. It's true that he is not perfect; however, he does speak 12 languages.

Walshy
Triglot
Australia
Joined 6744 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 23 of 31
22 December 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Luismiguelagain wrote:
It's true that he is not perfect; however, he does speak 12 languages.

That is exactly what has irked a lot of people here, since most people on this forum consider "speaking" a language to be a very advanced level of language ability. I think a better term would be "conversational".

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version