Socrates
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6847 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 25 of 29
26 April 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged 
Ardaschir wrote:
I was truly astounded to read the negative overall review of Assimil in the program section of the FAQ and to see some other slighting comments about Assimil in various other postings.

I think we are all in agreement on Ardaschir's authority and success on the subject of language learning etc.

Perhaps if the information on the FAQ was changed or toned down in some way he might be more inclined to return.
1 person has voted this message useful

administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7162 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 29
26 April 2006 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Socrates wrote:
Ardaschir wrote:
I was truly astounded to read the negative overall review of Assimil in the program section of the FAQ and to see some other slighting comments about Assimil in various other postings.

Perhaps if the information on the FAQ was changed or toned down in some way he might be more inclined to return.

Well Ardaschir made this comment in some of his first posts and we discussed this aspect. The FAQ did not preclude him from participating to the forum for many months. I think he had to refocus his time to language learning rather than sharing his knowledge online.

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6863 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 27 of 29
27 April 2006 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
I think he had to refocus his time to language learning rather than sharing his knowledge online.

And let's not forget he has a young family :-)

braveb
United States
languageprograms.blo
Joined 6983 days ago

264 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 28 of 29
20 July 2006 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
So where is Ardaschir going to go now? With Beirut being bombed, I'm sure he'll have to move to another posting. Maybe he'll post something to let us know?

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6653 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 29 of 29
25 July 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
I think there are two ways of looking at linguistics vs. learning languages, besides of course getting into either for its own sake:

Either you learn languages to get more insight into the workings of languages - aka linguistics,

or you learn linguistics to facilitate further study of languages.

Either way is lots of fun, and which way you choose will also depend on your specific future goals. Or you may be just lucky like me. I hold a Bachelors in linguistics and a Masters in chemical engineering. Following several exhausting years in various trades, I'm now a sufficiently successful technical translator, and have all the time I need to pursue language studies, just for the fun of it.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version