United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Yiddish, Modern Hebrew
Studies: Esperanto

Message 57 of 70
16 January 2008 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Maxwell

I am so happy to read about your progress.

And this is just the beginning!

Let's hold off on my character-learning advice until you have really finished the course. Then I shall be more
than happy to share what I know on this and any other topic that may be of help.

My way is to do one thing at a time. Focus on what is in front of you.

It is the way I teach, the way I learn.

I suspect that we have a lot in common. I, too, have very structured plans for the courses I wish to use in my
studies and the order they will assume.

However, you may see things differently when you finish the course.

Yes, I am working on some other things and will happily share them with you when I have learned more about
how I am going to allocate my time and energies.

Certainly, I would like to continue teaching Chinese since this approach has been so well received.

I have so much to share with you.

I am very excited about this!

I hope that you enjoy learning Chinese as much as I enjoy teaching it.

Take care.

Harold
1 person has voted this message useful

Kugel
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 58 of 70
17 January 2008 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Volapuk, you mentioned in chinese-forums.com that the Heisig book would be available in August 2008. Do you think Heisig's book is currently the best method on learning the Hanzi? Are you familiar with Alison Matthew's Learning Chinese Characters?

Do you have a list of vocab that you would recommend one should learn after completing your course? Are there plans for material that comes in printed form, basically a text book? As far as I know the grammar, or what some may call the workings of the language, needs to be taught using the audio MT method. What about the finer grammar points and vocabulary?

Edited by Kugel on 17 January 2008 at 1:22pm

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 59 of 70
17 January 2008 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Kugel

I looked at Alison Matthew's Learning Chinese Characters text in a bookstore. I was not terribly impressed. First
of all, it is a really diluted, amateurish version of Heisig. It is only available for learning Simplified characters. I
advocate learning the Traditional first ( for many, many reasons) and only then learning Simplified. The way the
elements of the characters are fitted together and order in which they are introduced does not seem as informed
and thought out as Heisig did with his earlier Kanji ( Chinese characters used in Japanese) books. Also, it tries to
teach too much and seems somewhat cluttered in its approach to presenting the material.

I am a big fan of the Heisig approach.

Heisig's new Hanzi ( Chinese character) texts will be published by the University of Hawaii Press. I have an e mail
from them telling me that the earliest we can expect them ( there are two entirely separate volumes, one for
Simplified and the other for Traditional characters) is July-August, 2008. While I hate to wait that long (
especially since the books are already ready to go to print) I believe that it is worthwhile.

I own quite a few books that claim to teach Hanzi. I don't find most of them particularly innovative or helpful.
They basically repeat each other. Some, like McNaughton and Li, Reading and writing Chinese, are fine if you
already have some background but I am not sure how anyone would easily learn Hanzi from even this excellent
text.

I have a fantasy of using an approach I am developing to use the student's personal learning style to master the
Hanzi. However, that is a ways off.

I love Traditional Hanzi. They are works of art and I approach them as such. The perfect relationship of all of the
parts to make the unique whole makes me so happy when I am learning them. They become positively addictive
when approached in this way. So it is no longer study; it is true learning. It is effortless. You look forward to
them. You crave them. It builds on itself. They become old friends and wise, old teachers.

I have no plans for vocabulary lists or textbook form material at present. I can't recommend any specific
vocabulary lists.

For the finer points of grammar you might check out Claudia Ross's Modern Chinese Mandarin Grammar and a
synoptic work by the same author, Schaum's Outlines: Chinese Grammar. I really like her approach for such
things.

I would hold off on these until you have finished the entire course ( UK titles: Foundation and Advanced -Michel
Thomas Mandarin). You will then have a much better perspective to take advantage of what these other resources
have to offer.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 60 of 70
02 February 2008 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
It's sort of disappointing that the Advanced grammar course will be the last in the Mandarin lineup(I don't think 1 or 2 disc reviews really count). Why does such an effective program have to stop at 6-8 discs worth of audio? Why not continue on until just about every bit of Mandarin logic/grammar is covered?

With you having spent some time with Michel Thomas did you find out how he wanted his language programs to be built upon, or if he had any intentions of advancing the language material? As impressive the advanced courses are, MT didn't even cover a 1/3 of the language's grammar. What made him stop?

I suppose the publisher wouldn't find it profitable to produce more material after an advanced level.    

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 61 of 70
02 February 2008 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Kugel

The goal of the MT course, as I understand it, is to help the learner achieve basic spoken proficiency in the
language. It is not to exhaustively cover all of the grammar.

If you understand that these courses are more accurately described as incredibly rapid ways to achieve a basic
spoken proficiency in the language then you will be able to answer your own question.

I have no doubt that this approach could be used to teach much more advanced material, too.

It is a misnomer to call the sequel to the first course Advanced. I told this to Michel Thomas several times. He
said that it was the choice of the publisher.

I have no idea why Michel chose to stop his courses where he did.

However, several hundred thousand people have bought them and there are many who swear by them. So, after
fifty some years of teaching, I suppose he had his reasons. Keep in mind that he did offer a phase II privately
where other instructors would continue on with the students. However, none of these teachers, to the best of my
understanding, were trained in his method.

I consider it a privilege that he was willing to train me in his approach to course creation and teaching.

jmlgws
Canada
Joined 6911 days ago

102 posts - 104 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 62 of 70
03 February 2008 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Here in Canada Amazon lists a Michel Thomas Beginner Course (to come out the end of March) as well as the Foundation Course. Is the former the same thing as the latter?

volapuk49
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6076 days ago

73 posts - 86 votes 

Message 63 of 70
03 February 2008 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
McGraw-Hill will be bringing out the Michel Thomas Mandarin course in North America in March. I just spoke with
them the other day and they told me that March is the new release date ( Amazon had an earlier date). The title over
here will be Beginner course. The Beginner and the Foundation are identical in content.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 64 of 70
03 February 2008 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Kugel wrote:
It's sort of disappointing that the Advanced grammar course will be the last in the Mandarin lineup(I don't think 1 or 2 disc reviews really count). Why does such an effective program have to stop at 6-8 discs worth of audio? Why not continue on until just about every bit of Mandarin logic/grammar is covered?

Every course/method has its limits. I haven't studied with the MT method in particular (but I have listened to some lessons from the Spanish course). I assume you reach a basic level from which you can go on yourself (with other study material, and later on "real" sources.

From the What to use next? thread:

patuco wrote:
I don't think that any further courses are needed. Once you've achieved a good intermediate level, I think that you should use native sources (TV, radio, books, etc) to continue to improve. Granted, it'll be slow at first, but your understanding will soon improve.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version