leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 1 of 74
27 December 2007 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
I didn't see a thread for this started yet, so what are your goals for next year?
1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoDiAngelo
Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6257 days ago

208 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, English, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Thai, Polish

Message 2 of 74
27 December 2007 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
To improve my English still further and to learn Russian to the level I know English now.

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6126 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 3 of 74
27 December 2007 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
By the end of 2008 I want to have brought my French up to a fairly fluent level, to the level of being able to comfortably discuss and exchange ideas, much as I can in German now. I'm also hoping to be able to travel to Germany, so I plan to make myself truly fluent in the language.

One of my major goals is to prepare myself for the Scandinavian festival in 2009 and thus become comfortably proficient in Swedish and also maybe, if there's enough time, get a basic grounding in Icelandic. I've conciously resolved to learn the entire Germanic and Romance family, the former of which is currently taking precedence. While I obviously won't come close to acheiving my goal of completing the Germanic family next year, or the year thereafter, I'll have to use next year as efficiently and practically as possible, am I to obtain this goal before I reach the age of 25.

Edited by Fränzi on 14 January 2008 at 3:13am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 74
27 December 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
English
Start shadowing the exercises that we have at our phonetics classes and perhaps some podcast. I'd like to have a native-like accent, no clue what for if I'm not going to be a spy...

Finnish
Continue moving along to advanced fluency. I've asked a friend who's going to Finland for Christmas holidays to buy Lord Of The Rings in Finnish for me. It will be the first time I'll be reading such a huge book in a foreign language:))))
Also going to check some advanced-level textbooks at the library.

Latin
Try to reach basic fluency. Not sure what it means for dead languages...

Esperanto
Also striving for basic fluency. Learning more suffices and some more vocabulary should help. I also need to start using it more often.

German
Classses at university starting from September. Nothing special before that.

Belarusian
Reach at least the intermediate level, read and listen to genuine stuff as much as possible.

Portuguese
Start learning it as soon as I feel my knowledge of other languages is good enough to start a new one. Hopefully getting to intermediate by the end of the year.

General: start practising "immersion days" for languages other than Finnish.

If I achieve these goals I'll have basic fluency in three languages and intermediate level in two more (+ German). Nice :)

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 5 of 74
27 December 2007 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
I used to think that Spanish will be my main interest, with other languages playing more auxiliary roles, but now I find German just as fascinating.

I therefore plan to continue focusing exclusively on German for the first several months of 2008.

There is a question of whether to finally start on Hindi in 2008. I will decide later in the year based on how German progresses. Ditto for resuming reading in Romance languages.

Edited by frenkeld on 29 December 2007 at 3:32pm

Destroyer
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 6396 days ago

16 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Czech*, EnglishC2, Spanish, Russian, German, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 74
27 December 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Passing DELE Superior (C2 level exam in Spanish) in November 2008. Right now, I would guess that I am about upper-intermediate (maybe advanced in reading), so there is still a lot to do :-) OK, back to reviewing flashcards...

kewms
United States
Joined 5997 days ago

160 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 74
27 December 2007 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Be able to read a Japanese newspaper or business magazine with minimal assistance.

Be able to conduct an email conversation in Japanese with minimal assistance.

Be able to follow spoken Japanese and participate in simple conversations.

I'm emphasizing literacy over speech because it's easier to practice and because I have more need for reading skills.

Given where I am now, these are stretch goals. Not impossible, but diligence is needed.

Katherine

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 6998 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Latin

Message 8 of 74
27 December 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to learn to read more fluidly in Russian. Currently I can stumble through any text and understand it, but I need to go to the dictionary a bit too often for my liking. My main goal this year with Russian is to be able to read a novel written in simpler language (such as a crime novel) without a dictionary, and be able to follow the story without feeling like I'm missing a lot. I'm not sure how realistic this is for only one year, but I'd like to start working towards it regardless.

My other goal is (still) to pick another language and begin studying it. German or Swedish. I have the resources for both, and I've begun studying both, and the only thing left is to pick one, and focus on it so I can actually get somewhere.

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version