Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 105 of 119
11 March 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
40 min... lessons 24 (review from yesterday), 25, and 26.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zeitgeist21
United Kingdom
Joined 5437 days ago

156 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 106 of 119
11 March 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I loved reading your blogs, you were one of the few people who I could see making huge progress with the methods I believed in. Most people don't start talking about their progress until they've finished already but I got to see you grow with all your languages and that was incredibly inspiring :)

If you want more German resources I can give you a quick list of free online media if you want, I'm not sure if you want to use real media yet but I would really recommend it. I started with Assimil in German and thought that I should learn with that like I did with French, however going through Assimil French with Ease and Using French for 6 months had taken me past the amount of Assimil I could take ;) I did a bit of listening-reading and then I just watched a hideous amount of tv and films and my German's been getting better ever since.

With just a little bit of listening-reading and 10 lessons of Assimil to get me started, I then I immersed myself in media to reach (very dodgy) fluency :P I'm at a level where I can understand everything when people speak (most of the time) and I have no problem with having friendships in German, some of my friends find it weird to hear me speak English :P I've still got a long way to go though, and my language is far from perfect, but by carrying on with media immersion and a bit of reading more recently I'm chilling my way to fluency ;)

And yeah if you want me to write a short set of links to free (and legal, I don't like stealing media but that's a different topic) visual and audio media then that's no problem. I can write you a short quick summary of German music and audiobook resources too if you want :)

Edited by WillH on 11 March 2010 at 8:35pm

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 107 of 119
12 March 2010 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Hey, thanks for the German materials offer. I think I'm going to stick just to Assimil for the moment cause I don't really have time for more and its been a while since I really did Assimil anyways, but if you want to point me to some resources for when I get through it I'd be more than happy to check them out. I've definitely taken the crazy amount of tv route for french... I'd like to get to that point with German as well... hopefully I can reactivate/make active enough of my previous listening-reading work to get there quickly.

It sounds like the way you learned German is impressive and the tv/movie thing definitely does work quite well. I feel like I just need to get my vocabulary good enough for me to start that and actually enjoy it...

Cheers!

Edited by blindsheep on 12 March 2010 at 5:25pm

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5246 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 108 of 119
12 March 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Watching a German soap episode every night has really helped me as well. Given the simple, natural, colloquial language in soaps, it's like being in a German household, only keeping your mouth shut all the time.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 109 of 119
13 March 2010 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
german soap opera suggestions (although not sure how much will I'll have to watch them)?

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 110 of 119
13 March 2010 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Assimil, Dreissigste (30) Lektion.

I also reviewed 27 and 29.

30 min.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 111 of 119
20 March 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Einunddreissigste (31) Lektion as well as review of 30.

35 min.

blindsheep
Triglot
Spain
Joined 6152 days ago

503 posts - 507 votes 

Message 112 of 119
20 March 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Zweiunddreissigste (32) Lektion. 15 min.

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version