Joined 5721 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 65 of 74
08 March 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
According to the gotoquiz.com quiz my results were Midland: 83%

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

Unbelievable! This is totally wrong. I live in Washington state (another place where people allegedly have no accent) and I don't actually speak English using the local accent, although I think I could do so if I ever tried.

MemeGen's quiz told me: North Central. This is what everyone calls a "Minnesota accent." If you saw "Fargo" or "Drop Dead Gorgeous" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Some Americans may mistake you for a Canadian.

If you are not a northern Minnesotan, you are probably one of these:
(a) A Yooper from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; or
(b) A Canadian who has a mostly but not completely Canadian accent."

ROFL, No! Maybe I didn't understand the questions as well as I thought I had. No American or Canadian has ever mistaken me for a Canadian. I do like to hear a Minnesota accent, but how could I speak that way when I have never even visited Minnesota?

Oh well, these quizzes were fun even they weren't accurate for me. Just as a side note, nearly everyone who meets me comments on my accent and then they will either try to guess where I come from or ask me where I have lived. I have even occasionally been told that I must be foreign or get asked if English is actually my first language.

Edited by mick33 on 08 March 2013 at 9:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 66 of 74
08 March 2013 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
The Inland North. Philadelphia.
2 persons have voted this message useful

leroc
United States
Joined 4108 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 67 of 74
08 March 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
West 100%. Not surprising seeing as I live in Eastern Washington. Actually, the Eastern part has kind of a 'country' accent in areas, it's hard to explain but you'd have to hear it to know.

If anyone is interested you can find an informative map of the various American dialects here

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4829 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 68 of 74
08 March 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
My non-native Dutch/British/American-accent got me :

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Nowhere near correct though, I think.

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 69 of 74
08 March 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm confused by the frequent mention of "no accent." What does that mean here?

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4465 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 70 of 74
10 March 2013 at 6:00am | IP Logged 
embici wrote:
I'm confused by the frequent mention of "no accent." What does that mean here?

The accent accent coaches in Hollywood teach. ;)
In real life, it's a Western accent without ''newer'' features (like Californian vowel shift or uptalk). This ''conservative'' Western accent is now more frequent in Denver or Phoenix than in L.A. itself. Californian singers (like K. Perry) sound distinctively Californian. You can say ''(s)he's from California'' as soon as their open their mouth. A real neutral accent should not be ''traceable''. Lana del Rey has a pretty neutral accent (Northeastern parts of the state of NY and Vermont sound more standard than California nowadays, which is kinda sad...The Californian accent has changed a lot, you get ooh fronting: you: yew; dude: dewd; oh rounding: mom: mawm [mɔ:m], yes [jæs], US (yew ass) [S is [æs], ass is [a:s]]...and many more...I personally don't like it. It sounds provincial rather than ''neutral'').

Edited by Medulin on 10 March 2013 at 6:15am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4641 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 71 of 74
10 March 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
My result: The Northeast (100%), probably because I actually have a British accent. ;)

Edited by Josquin on 10 March 2013 at 12:31pm

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5525 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 72 of 74
10 March 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Great link!

I'm not a native speaker but did it for fun and my result is: the inland north (86 %). I don't even know what it sounds like. I can only tell the standard American accent heard on TV (if there is such a thing) from the southern accent.

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version