Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6700 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 1 of 29
15 February 2008 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Do you know which language you are speaking, in which language was written something you've just read, what language are you hearing on TV?

It may sound a little provocative ;) but that's what I mean: how often don't we realize (consciously) which language (usually one of those that we know fluently) are we just using? How fluent one has to be in his target language to experience it? In which situations?

In my opinion, that may happen ex. if we spend more time with groups of people that speak different languages, if we usually use Internet in more than one language(it's easy to open a new website that's in another language than the previous one), if we watch TV in more than one language (specially in background, without paying to much attention).

Edited by Julie on 15 February 2008 at 7:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

DrZero
United States
Joined 6110 days ago

13 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 2 of 29
15 February 2008 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Do you know which language you are speaking, in which language was written something you've just read, what language are you hearing on TV?

It may sound a little provocative ;) but that's what I mean: how often don't we realize (consciously) which language (usually one of those that we know fluently) are we just using? How fluent one has to be in his target language to experience it? In which situations?

In my opinion, that may happen ex. if we spend more time with groups of people that speak different languages, if we usually use Internet in more than one language(it's easy to open a new website that's in another language than the previous one), if we watch TV in more than one language (specially in background, without paying to much attention).

On occasion I recall a conversation I've had with a Chinese person, and can't remember which language it was in.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6210 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 29
15 February 2008 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Interesting question...

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but the languages I'm learning, in this case French and German, have started to sound more and more like English to me. It's very strange. It feels like I've tapped into some bizarre dialects of English that use to be beyond my comprehension.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7115 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 29
15 February 2008 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Julie, I have thought about this sometimes, but you're right that it has never really been discussed here. It happens to me all the time, not knowing in which language I learned about something, or the language of a conversation. I think it's just a sign that the language is internalized and is independent of other languages that you speak.

ilanbg
Diglot
United States
Joined 6207 days ago

166 posts - 189 votes 
Speaks: French, English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (classical), Persian

Message 5 of 29
15 February 2008 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
I've never personally had this problem, but that is perhaps because compared to most members on this forum I am
a language novice.

leosmith
United States
Joined 6347 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 6 of 29
16 February 2008 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
This is pretty weird. I traveled a couple weeks with a friend in Thailand. When I think about all our conversations, it feels like they were in English. She doesn't speak English though.

ziedariana
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5994 days ago

19 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Arabic (Written)*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 29
16 February 2008 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
In my opinion, that may happen ex. ...

It happens to me often. Especially TV programs. I, personally, do not think it is a sign of competency in a language. I may experience this with a language that I am fluent in, as I may experience it with a language I am struggling with...My opinion of course!!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 29
16 February 2008 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
I experience this fairly frequently, primarily, but not only, with Italian. One time I was listening to a song by an Italian artist, and was jarred a bit to hear English; I had to rewind to confirm that the rest of the song actually had been in Italian. Another time, I struggled to remember the day after a film what language it had been in; I was almost certain it had been English, until I remembered that I'd learned the Italian word for 'bat' (pipistrello) from it.

With conversation, I usually have no such methods to confirm which language I was speaking, and to make it all the more complicated, my conversations with most of my local friends tend to weave in and out of Italian and English, sometimes with bits of absolutely random other languages interspersed (local dialect, German, and rarely others). Other times, it's clear, but only because I know that the person and I only have one language in common.

What's more annoying is to be on autopilot and not thinking about what I say, and babble on for a while in a language that the person I'm speaking to doesn't understand. Fortunately, this happens rather rarely. Other then when I've been traveling or switching languages (ie, talking in Italian and English, interspersed with reading a German newspaper, I may use German with 3rd parties without thinking) it's negligible, and even then, it mainly occurs with set phrases like 'no thanks' or apologies after bumping into someone.

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version