43 messages over 6 pages: 13 4 5 6  Next >>
Faraday
United States
Joined 5929 days ago

129 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: German*

Message 9 of 43
23 March 2008 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
The French and Spanish people I have interacted with have been very helpful and patient for the most part.
1 person has voted this message useful

Alec
United Kingdom
Joined 6210 days ago

36 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Japanese

Message 10 of 43
01 May 2008 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Japanese speakers are usually very nice and "Wow, your Japanese is so good". Almost all sober Japanese are patient with me and, as long as they understand me, don't correct me no matter how big of a mistake I make.

Drunk Japanese are another matter all together; whilst most are still patient, young drunk Japanese women seem to take a perverse pleasure in laughing or ridiculing me! I served some pickles to customers are my restaurant and upon presenting the dish, one woman burst out laughing loudly; "Your pronunciation is so strange!". There are other examples, but mostly it's just the alcohol giving them the courage to release their vent-up frustration at not being able to master English by going to English language school for an hour a week (-_-).

I've had less contact with Italians but when I have, they've been quick to correct me. They don't correct me in a condescending or impatient way but more in a straight-forward teacher kind of way, which is really perfect for language learners!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stawrberry
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5758 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2, Portuguese
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 43
16 June 2009 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Alexandra wrote:
Same with Portuguese - very supportive, but rarely helpful when it comes to mistakes.

Gosh, this is so true. My mum is Portuguese and she NEVER corrects my mistakes, which I really hate. How can I improve my Portuguese if I don't know what I'm doing wrong? So frustrating...
3 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5649 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 43
16 June 2009 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Strawberry - your mother probably just wants to speak with you uninterrupted without being a language teacher.

It's surprising though that she didn't take the opportunity to teach it to you properly when you were small.

Why was that?

anytram
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
France
Joined 5480 days ago

85 posts - 89 votes 
Speaks: German*, Polish*, French, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 43
16 June 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
My mother always spoke Polish with us, but that doesn't mean we speak (and write!) it perfectly. She always does correct me, though, just as most of our family does in a conversation. This might not be straight away, but after the content is discussed, but they do.

Most people around me in France don't correct me anymore, even though I ask them to do so repeatedly. They sort of got used to my "style" and point out to me that I speak more correctly than many Frenchies my age. Which is nice, really, but I would like to learn the language as far as I can and not stop since I have not a lot of trouble in a casual conversation. >__<;

Edited by anytram on 16 June 2009 at 6:01pm

Stawrberry
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 5758 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2, Portuguese
Studies: Latin, Modern Hebrew

Message 14 of 43
16 June 2009 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Cordelia0507 -

I understand that she wants to speak to me without being a language teacher, but she won't even correct small mistakes (e.g. wrong gender).

We used to speak Portuguese at home until my brother and I went to elementary school. We invited (Dutch) friends over and therefore we had to talk in Dutch. Well we didn't have to, but I think it's just rude to talk in a language in front of people who don't speak that language. We started to talk more and more Dutch and now the most conversations are in Dutch. Of course I always address my mum in Portuguese, but she nearly always replies in Dutch and it's kinda discouraging after a while. =\

It sucks, 'cause I could have been raised bilingually. But there's nothing I can do about it now and someday I will speak it natively. :) I just have to be patient and put a lot of effort into my studies.
2 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5649 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 15 of 43
18 June 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Strawberry and Anytram, what a mixed bag language situation!

I had something similar happening, but I was already in my teens, so I was too old and had too much attitude to take advantage.

There is so much talk about people being raised truly bilingual when familiese move around or emigrate... But in reality there will always be a stronger language, I think, and sometimes it's quite shocking how little people speak of their parents language..

My step-mother really tried to teach my sister and I Japanese, but I usually ignored her and spoke pidgeon Swedish and English with her instead because I resented that she came into the family and tried to change the language of communication (she didn't really, but I had a bad attitude).

I think the language of schooling is what really forms you. Also, the kid usually doesn't realise / appreciate that he actually is in an advantageous situation and can get another language "for free" with very little input.

Not an easy choice for parents either -- could be a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't...."

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6529 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 16 of 43
18 June 2009 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
My friends always say that the whole point at this stage is for me to be able to get my point across - so they don't always correct every little thing.

If I say something completely wrong, they'll correct me, or if I specifically ask them to, but I don't push them too much as I don't want them to think they have to 'teach' me instead of being my friends.

On the other hand, if we're in a relaxed situation (not 10 things happening at once, as it usually is!) they're more than happy to take the time. Sometimes they even quiz me!

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version