Canada
Joined 4933 days ago

193 posts - 238 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*
Studies: French, German

Message 25 of 43
20 November 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Strawberry and Anytram, what a mixed bag language situation!

I had something similar happening, but I was already in my teens, so I was too old and had too much attitude to take advantage.

There is so much talk about people being raised truly bilingual when familiese move around or emigrate... But in reality there will always be a stronger language, I think, and sometimes it's quite shocking how little people speak of their parents language..

My step-mother really tried to teach my sister and I Japanese, but I usually ignored her and spoke pidgeon Swedish and English with her instead because I resented that she came into the family and tried to change the language of communication (she didn't really, but I had a bad attitude).

I think the language of schooling is what really forms you. Also, the kid usually doesn't realise / appreciate that he actually is in an advantageous situation and can get another language "for free" with very little input.

Not an easy choice for parents either -- could be a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't...."

Yes, I can contest that one language is usually stronger. I was raised bilingually in Canada, since birth, my mother spoke to me in only Mandarin, and my father in only English. I had all my studies in English, and had a mere 2 classes a week of supplementary Chinese practice. Guess which one is my operative language?

English :S

And back on topic, my father speaks French quite well, at the advanced fluency level I would say, solid upper C1. And he corrects me all the time, which is frustrating, but it really helps! Other French speakers I've met are only through the internet, and they have all been really supportive, and help me out a lot :)

Edited by CheeseInsider on 20 November 2010 at 11:30am

1 person has voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5396 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 26 of 43
10 December 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
"How supportive are the native speakers of your target languageS of your efforts to
learn their language ?"

British, American, etc. Were very helpful when I chatted with them online obtaining
fluency many years ago. Complimenting me a lot.

Germans: I don't know I never used it much. Medium helpful but strict maybe.

Spaniards and Mexicans: Very helpful and always complimenting me.

Indonesians: Complimenting me even at a complete beginner level. People on the streets
act as private language tutors and clap their hands. Rather fake but it helped keeping
my spirits up!

Russians: The worst so far. Waiters at restaurants won't talk to you, people on the
streets neither. Getting directions on the street is easy though. When I speak Russian
with people I often get a blank stare or a strict correction of both grammar, pronunciation and stress. Not very motivating but great for learning the language
thoroughly I suppose... The only free zone seems to be bars, bartenders and locals
become teachers but still no compliments.

papen
United States
Joined 4991 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English

Message 27 of 43
13 December 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Haha no. My native speakers Vietnamese don't like Chinese and some of them are irritated if I write Chinese characters.

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5048 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 28 of 43
22 January 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
If I speak Greek to people in Athens, they often completely ignore my efforts and answer in English. This is extremely frustrating after having made the effort to learn their language, after all in a big tourist destination like Athens it won't be hard for them to find an English speaker who doesn't speak Greek to practise with! If you go to rural areas or small towns people are much more helpful and encouraging and are pleased (and often relieved) that you speak Greek.

Romanians are extremely helpful and are delighted and often surprised to find a foreigner learning their language because it's not a popular language for people to learn outside of Romania.

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 4957 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 29 of 43
25 January 2011 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
In my city, we´ve about 1000 foreigners. Every they speak Portuguese at different
levels. And I like this. Many from we, Brazilian, aren´t not able to speak any foreign
speech. Others need to domain our Native Tongue to live among us. It´s a sad fact. We´re
very supportive with all the foreigners.

Matheus
Brazil
Joined 4892 days ago

208 posts - 312 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, French

Message 30 of 43
25 January 2011 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Gorgoll2 wrote:
In my city, we´ve about 1000 foreigners. Every they speak Portuguese at different
levels. And I like this. Many from we, Brazilian, aren´t not able to speak any foreign
speech. Others need to domain our Native Tongue to live among us. It´s a sad fact. We´re
very supportive with all the foreigners.

Yeah, I don't know how many foreigners are in my city, but what this guy said is true. Most of brazilians don't speak foreign languages at all. Some of us might speak broken English, or try Spanish, because it's really closer to Portuguese. Even the chinese foreigners have to learn Portuguese, and we like to listen them, sometimes making a little effort to understand. Many people from the South of Brazil (specialy in Rio Grande do Sul), are able to speak european languages such as German and Italian, because their parents or grandparents were born in those countries and moved to live in Brazil. And they also have a different accent, even living in the same place of me. The same happens in São Paulo, there are a lot of Asian immigrants. If you want to travel to Brazil and get deep in our culture, make sure you understand Portuguese or Speak Spanish. Teenager students may speak and understand a little English, but in most of cases it's not enough to communication. Answering this thread, we actually like very much when foreigners are trying to speak our native language, but be careful with the person you choose. Non-educated people may make fun of you and don't help anything.

Edited by Matheus on 25 January 2011 at 6:57pm

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4865 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 31 of 43
25 January 2011 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
I've been in England twice and I have to say that both times native speakers who hosted
me, were very kind and cordial, ensuring me whatever support I needed.

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5237 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 32 of 43
20 February 2011 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
I know native French, Spanish, and German speakers have generally been supportive of me. I was surprised at how
they reacted towards my spoken German (which was really quite poor) when I first arrived in Germany last summer
- I was expecting to be corrected a lot and treated rather harshly, but instead they were all very friendly towards
me. Though I imagine that could be because I'm Asian and am a young learner (I'm a teenager)...

Edited by yawn on 20 February 2011 at 7:22am

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version