Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is spoken Latin the same across Europe ?

Tags: Europe | Latin
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
45 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 17 of 45
27 July 2011 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I even doubt that the old Romains spoke like that.

This reminds of people who think the tones can't matter that much in Mandarin.

I completely support adding new vocabulary to Latin. I wish people did it more robustly, rather than simply introduce every new term as either a gangly compound of four words or as something indeclinable. It seems to me perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the language to expand the vocabulary while preserving the grammar rules.
1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4845 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 45
27 July 2011 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
The simple answer to the original question is "no."

My background is in music, and as an American musician trained in the United States, our rules of pronouncing Latin most closely match that of Italian. It seems completely logical to my thinking and to the thinking of those around me.

I had music before I had language, and I admit that it is almost physically uncomfortable for me to hear Latin prounced differently (such as the German or other northern European) way.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 19 of 45
27 July 2011 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
jdmoncada wrote:
I had music before I had language, and I admit that it is almost physically uncomfortable for me to hear Latin prounced differently (such as the German or other northern European) way.

I also had music before language, too. I think the Latin in music should be pronounced as the composer intended, which varies from time to time, country to country, with the preference being for Church Latin. But would Orff have preferred the German pronunciation for the Carmina? What did Back have in mind with the B minor mass?

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 20 of 45
01 August 2011 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
We in our Latin class were told that there is thing like Polish Latin pronunciation .
Well, it's a language not used in speech anyway... so... (there are some radios etc, but we don't know what language ancient Romans spoke, people did not have tapes at that time, we can only guess)

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 21 of 45
01 August 2011 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
We in our Latin class were told that there is thing like Polish Latin pronunciation .
Well, it's a language not used in speech anyway... so... (there are some radios etc, but we don't know what language ancient Romans spoke, people did not have tapes at that time, we can only guess)

It's quite a bit more than guesswork. There are many ways of discovering pronunciation of a dead language--commentary by its orators, treatment of words imported into the language and words exported out, spelling mistakes (which indicate which sounds were closest), etc.

Latin pronunciation has been quite rigorously reconstructed. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Vox-Latina-Guide-Pronunciation-Classic al/dp/0521379369
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 45
01 August 2011 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Iversen wrote:
I even doubt that the old Romains spoke like that.

This reminds of people who think the tones can't matter that much in Mandarin.

I didn't deny that Latin (and classical Greek, by the way) had a system built on wowel length and that wowel did matter in those languages. I wrote

" I feel that it slows down the speed of the language if you are too fussy about drawing out some vowels and leaving others ultrashort. I even doubt that the old Romains spoke like that."

Thee are speakers like Miraglia who can keep up a natural-sounding cadence in their Latin, and that is my idea about the way Latin should be spoken. Some other speakers on the internet (the only place where I hear them) are so scared to drop a distinction in vowel length here and there that they sound like the CDs that follow language courses. And that is definitely not how a (wo)man in the street of Ostia or Roma or Pompei would have spoken.

ScottScheule wrote:
I completely support adding new vocabulary to Latin. I wish people did it more robustly, rather than simply introduce every new term as either a gangly compound of four words or as something indeclinable.

Spot on. Some authors of supposedly Neolatin dictionaries are apparently scared to death about using a simple and short loanword if there is anything from the long history of Latin that could have been used instead, and because of the risk that they may have overlooked something they prefer using long contrived circumlocutions to avoid criticism from their peers. But again: this is not how the Romans in Rome would have spoken.

Edited by Iversen on 01 August 2011 at 6:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5039 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 23 of 45
02 August 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

I didn't deny that Latin (and classical Greek, by the way) had a system built on wowel length and that wowel did
matter in those languages. I wrote

" I feel that it slows down the speed of the language if you are too fussy about drawing out some vowels and
leaving others ultrashort. I even doubt that the old Romains spoke like that."   

Forgive me, then, as I don't disagree with you, and should have read more carefully.

One tidbit though: one of the keys to reciting Sanskrit is great elongation of long syllables and ultrashort short
syllables. I wonder if such was the same with Latin recitation.

Jurga
Triglot
Lithuania
Joined 5248 days ago

19 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Latvian
Studies: German, Arabic (classical), French

Message 24 of 45
03 August 2011 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
It seems that students everywhere are told: "Latin pronunciation is very simple, just say
it as you see it written" (and probably the only rules often are about C letter). I've
just started learning Latin (on my own) but actually what quite prevents me from progress
right now is that I found out that there aparently are as many versions of the language
as there are textbooks.
Maybe Italian is closest to Latin however I know many people at first pronounce Latin
words trying them to sound 'something similar to Italian'. It's not good either.

ScottScheule, thanks for that link, I'll try to get this book as I really want to find
out what exactly like I should speak. Though I guess...we learn modern languages as they
are used today. And Latin...we cannot 'fix' the point of its development and learn Latin
as it was spoken then.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version