Germany
Joined 6609 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 33 of 39
06 April 2008 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
You're very welcome :)

To tell you the truth, unless you don't go to Saxony or Baveria or something (I really have trouble understanding Baverian!), you'll be good to go. Hamburg or Berlin are not that big on dialects.

Regards,
Ilhan
1 person has voted this message useful

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6453 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 34 of 39
07 April 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
jimbo baby wrote:
And to Marc, I just get confused by all this talk about dialects. Some people say they are not intelligible to all German speakers. I just want to learn standard German for now and maybe afterwards learn a dialect. I wouldn't mind picking up a particular accent of standard German but dialects scare me and other learners of German.

True, real dialects are not intelligible to all German speakers. But no matter where you go, you'll hear almost exclusively Standard German (with some regional variations which some may call dialect but which aren't). There are not many people who speak a pure dialect and they certainly won't speak it to you.

For example, in Hamburg almost everybody speaks Standard German with a typical Northern pronunciation and some regionalisms, which is understood by any German speaker. You will have difficulties finding many people who speak the local dialect, which is called Plattdeutsch and is closer to Dutch than to Standard German.

I was just saying that Standard German is what you will learn wherever you go, especially in bigger cities, and that you don't really have to worry about that.

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5910 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 35 of 39
07 April 2008 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
I agree with Ilhan that with a slight accent it's easier to pass for a native speaker, because people just can't imagine a foreigner picking up a local accent.

From the standpoint of native German speakers, does it sound better for a non-native speaker to speak with a slight foreign accent or a slight local accent? I think in many languages, a slight foreign accent sounds more sophisticated. Is this true in German?

!LH@N
Triglot
Germany
Joined 6609 days ago

487 posts - 531 votes 
Speaks: German, Turkish*, English
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Spanish

Message 36 of 39
07 April 2008 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
I think I'd be more surprised and happy hearing a foreigner speaking German with a local accent then with a foreign accent (an English accent sounds funny and nice too though :D)

Regards,
Ilhan

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6453 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 37 of 39
07 April 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
JW wrote:
From the standpoint of native German speakers, does it sound better for a non-native speaker to speak with a slight foreign accent or a slight local accent? I think in many languages, a slight foreign accent sounds more sophisticated. Is this true in German?

I like certain foreign accents, but I don't think a slight foreign accent sounds more sophisticated. However, the obvious advantage of having a foreign accent is that it reminds everyone that you're not a native speaker and they will be impressed (and forgive your mistakes). If you speak without accent, people will think that you're a native speaker and there's a risk that they might think you're stupid if you make mistakes.

I'd be more impressed by someone who has no foreign accent (and probably equally impressed by someone having a slight local accent as by someone speaking pure Hochdeutsch). Actually, the most impressive I've ever heard was a guy from Egypt who spoke perfect German without any trace of an accent after having lived in Germany for five years.

Earle
Diglot
United States
Joined 6103 days ago

276 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Norwegian, Spanish

Message 38 of 39
07 April 2008 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
there's a risk that they might think you're stupid if you make mistakes

Boy, been there, done that. My pronunciation always runs ahead of the other facets of fluency (imitative gene?). I can ask folks if they speak English or German in quite a few languages I don't really speak. Many times, they are puzzled and just reply in their own language...

JW
Hexaglot
United States
youtube.com/user/egw
Joined 5910 days ago

1802 posts - 2011 votes 
22 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Ancient Greek, French, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch, Greek, Italian

Message 39 of 39
07 April 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
Earle wrote:
Quote:
there's a risk that they might think you're stupid if you make mistakes

Boy, been there, done that. My pronunciation always runs ahead of the other facets of fluency (imitative gene?).

Me too, and hence the reason for my question which Marc answered perfectly. I speak German the "Tagesschau-way" because, when I inevitably make silly mistakes, I think people will in fact be more forgiving than if I were speaking more of a local German.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version