Triglot
United States
Joined 4074 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 1 of 26
29 July 2013 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure many people are interested in how other people learn to improve their own strategy, but perhaps can't
wade through everyone's logs. So...

Let's say you are learning a language where all the big name resources are available to you. Your goal is all-around
fluency: be able to read, write, speak, and listen. How do you begin?

Let's say you're learning a less popular language (or even a dialect). What do you do?

Edit: Note, this is your ideal plan. It may very well very from what you have written in logs. You have all the money,
and all the resources that you need in this hypothetical scenario.

Edited by vogue on 29 July 2013 at 5:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 2 of 26
29 July 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
vogue wrote:
I'm sure many people are interested in how other people learn to improve their own strategy, but perhaps can't
wade through everyone's logs. So...

Let's say you are learning a language where all the big name resources are available to you. Your goal is all-around
fluency: be able to read, write, speak, and listen. How do you begin?

Let's say you're learning a less popular language (or even a dialect). What do you do?

You mean, I don't know, something like "how to learn any language?" Yea, good question, someone had to come up with it, sooner or later ...
7 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4074 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 

Message 3 of 26
29 July 2013 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I think you've missed the point, this is about what you consider to personally be an effective method in a condensed
format for comparison purposes. It's not exactly about an in-depth discussion of these methods (what the forum is
for), but more an overhead glance of what other learners find effective. What's similar and different, among us. What
hidden resources are buried under hundreds of posts on the forum?

Edited by vogue on 29 July 2013 at 4:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 4 of 26
29 July 2013 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
vogue wrote:
What hidden resources are buried under hundreds of posts on the forum?

People who are too lazy or unable to read some logs won't be successful do-it-yourself learners. What they need is a teacher and a schedule, not a forum.

Edited by lingoleng on 29 July 2013 at 4:21pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4074 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 

Message 5 of 26
29 July 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
vogue wrote:
What hidden resources are buried under hundreds of posts on the forum?

People who are too lazy or unable to read some logs won't be successful do-it-yourself learners. What they need is
a teacher and a schedule, not a forum.

This seems both harsh and inaccurate. I'm a successful do-it-yourself learner, and I have never read a log (except
EMKs). However, I personally don't have the time to read everyone's logs to learn their methodology - and work, and
exercise, and go out, and work on several languages. If you do, that's excellent. None of this means I'm not
interested in comparing notes.
12 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 6 of 26
29 July 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
vogue wrote:
I'm a successful do-it-yourself learner, and I have never read a log (except
EMKs). However, I personally don't have the time to read everyone's logs to learn their methodology - and work, and
exercise, and go out, and work on several languages. If you do, that's excellent. None of this means I'm not

In your log I can read that you had Spanish at school and were then forced into some immersion. It is debatable if one can consider this a successful do-it-yourself strategy.

1 person has voted this message useful

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4074 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 

Message 7 of 26
29 July 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
vogue wrote:
EMKs). However, I personally don't have the time to read everyone's logs to learn their methodology - and work,
and

In your log I can read that you had Spanish at school and were then forced into some immersion. It is debatable if
one can consider this a successful do-it-yourself strategy.

Except I wasn't forced into Italian, Arabic, Russian, or Hebrew.

I'd consider my Italian quite successful, because now nearing my 5th month mark, I can communicate well
enough to live a fulfilling life in Italy (I can watch TV, talk to groups of Italians at the same time, understand most
of what I hear when caught off guard, and make myself understood). I still have a lot of learning to do, but who
doesn't?

It's hardly your place to judge other people's language learning experiences, especially based on the limited
picture that someone gives online.

This is digressing from my question though, if you do not wish to share your own ideal strategy here there's no
need
to do so.

Edited by vogue on 29 July 2013 at 5:24pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5118 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 8 of 26
29 July 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
vogue wrote:
lingoleng wrote:
vogue wrote:
EMKs). However, I personally don't have the time to read everyone's logs to learn their methodology - and work,
and

In your log I can read that you had Spanish at school and were then forced into some immersion. It is debatable if
one can consider this a successful do-it-yourself strategy.

Except I wasn't forced into Italian, Arabic, Russian, or Hebrew.

I'd consider my Italian quite successful, because now nearing my 5th month mark, I can communicate well
enough to live a fulfilling life in Italy (I can watch TV, talk to groups of Italians at the same time, understand most
of what I hear when caught off guard, and make myself understood). I still have a lot of learning to do, but who
doesn't?

It's hardly your place to judge other people's language learning experiences, especially based on the limited
picture that someone gives online.

This is digressing from my question though, if you do not wish to share your own ideal strategy here there's no
need
to do so.

I see. I'll read your log. Always eager to learn from accomplished polyglots. Let's hope for some interesting answers!

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version