Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5895 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 25 of 26
31 August 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
For me a successful strategy would consist of having multiple materials. I would start off with a combination of two types of resources, a sort of course for teach yourself and a grammar book. From then on, I would try to move on to some courses with video and native speakers and from then on to more native materials.

To take Spanish as an example:
1) Assimil Spanish and some sort of a workbook which practices grammar
2) add Destinos while continuing with above
3) more in-depth native materials, like watching news online, listening to the radio

However after that, to get to a higher level, you would have to go to a country where the language is spoken and spend some time there, immersing yourself in the language.

Edited by showtime17 on 31 August 2013 at 3:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 26 of 26
31 August 2013 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
This would be my idea approach for a language that has everything I could want:

1) Begin with an Assimil course.
2) Listen/Read The Little Prince.
3) Do another Assimil like course (previous generation or advanced course).
4) Listen/Read interesting texts and audio. Begin watching interesting educational videos in the target language.
5) Do an elementary grammar workbook. If this is available in the target language, that would be ideal.
6) Continue Listen/Reading interesting material and watching videos.
7) Do an FSI style drill program to bring up spoken skills up in correctness and automaticity.
8) Start doing Lang8 writings and look for good feedback.
9) Find conversational partners on Skype.

This approach pushes "passive" skills first and focuses on "active" skills later. I think that's the most natural approach for me. I would be content having "natural listening" skills (being able to listen to and understand well new complex material) even if my speaking ability was much more limited. Once my listening and reading skills are quite solid, I think the "active" skills can be brought up relatively quickly and without fossilized bad habits.

For a language without all these materials, I'd try a similar approach, but would have to do without a lot more.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version