Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5552 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 17 of 20
21 August 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I've been staying away from flashcards lately, but when I did use them I ALWAYS put cognates in. This is very important because when going L1->L2 (which was always my goal, at least), where there's no way to tell whether the target language word is a cognate or not. You're not seeing "organisieren", you're seeing "organize" and have to produce a German word, which could be anything. Sure, if you're stumped you can always construct a cognate and GUESS, but that's not the same as *knowing* the word. (I'd click "hard" when grading myself if I did this and managed to get it right.) Transparency and cognates are little help going L1->L2.

As far as adjective/noun/verb/etc. forms of the same word, I was really inconsistent with this. Basically, I asked myself "if I were in a conversation and knew the word I needed, but it had to be in a different form, would I know to construct this and do it correctly on the fly?" Sometimes, especially if its forms are completely regular in both languages. Often, however, that's not the case, so if you can't generate the form by applying a simple grammar rule AND know when to do it, put all the forms.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5905 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 18 of 20
22 August 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
narigold wrote:
@previous poster, I don't think it's a good to delete 5 -10 cards per day from Anki. That defeats the whole point of the SRS system. At some point you will need a refresher of each card to keep it in your memory, even if it is months from now and you are just maintaining. Let Anki do it's job.

ScottScheule wrote:
I also think it's a terrible idea to delete cards, but I've had this discussion enough times to know that peoples' minds are unlikely to change.

There's a right way and a wrong way to delete cards. Quote khatzumoto http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/srs-how-not-to-del ete-cards:
    Small deletion: GOOD
    Frequent deletion: GOOD
    Bulk deletion (e.g. Surusu’s culling, leach-killing and other “decimation“ 1 modes): GOOD    
    Total, clean-slate deletion (as above): BAD

edit: I would only keep all the cards if I had 200 or 300, but I have over 2,000, so it's become necessary. I want to spend time doing other things besides reviewing stale cards.

Edited by Sunja on 22 August 2013 at 9:48am

1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5048 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 19 of 20
22 August 2013 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
There's a right way and a wrong way to delete cards. Quote khatzumoto http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/srs-how-not-to-del ete-cards:
    Small deletion: GOOD
    Frequent deletion: GOOD
    Bulk deletion (e.g. Surusu’s culling, leach-killing and other “decimation“ 1 modes): GOOD    
    Total, clean-slate deletion (as above): BAD

edit: I would only keep all the cards if I had 200 or 300, but I have over 2,000, so it's become necessary. I want to spend time doing other things besides reviewing stale cards.

If the card's too easy, that's what the easy button is for. The card may be stale now, but you will forget it with time unless refreshed. That's the entire point of spaced repetition--to push stale cards farther away.

All those types of deletion are bad ideas. I delete accidental repeats and that's pretty much it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3949 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 20 of 20
02 September 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
I almost never enter single words into SuperMemo, usually it's idioms, fixed phrases and
other blocks that I fail to remember or translate correctly during the third or even fourth
wave in Assimil or elsewhere. I do my best to keep those databases small as to me there is
almost nothing worse than having to review hundreds of SRS items on a daily basis. Big YUK. I
rather spend that time shadowing - YMMV. I also mark those critical passages in different
colors, a code I've been using for many years so have a guess what my Assimils look like
after the third wave, lol.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version