GreeceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3949 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek, Greek*, EnglishC2, GermanB2, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 26
05 May 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Hey there!

I love languages, and ever since I realized how much I love the process of learning
thm I took on several. For me every language is beatiful and useful, so choosing one is
extremely hard-I always end up not deciding or changing my mind and dropping every
language for my next interest- the result: I don't speak any of them.
For this log I was between a lot of languages( french, swedish, turkish, Italian,
japanese to name a few) but in the end I decided to go with Russian.
Why?
Because I can't stand Russian anymore! I've been struggling (alright, semi- struggling,
I always drop the languages like I said) with Russian for about 2 years, but I have
made no progress. I always use excuses so that I will not study, like: it's impossible
to learn without a teacher, my methods are not good, why would I need it anyway, I can
always learn it later etc .So it's time for me to change being incredibly lazy and just
get on with it!

My Tools

-Teach yourself Russian
-The Everything Learning Russian Book
-Russian World Series (it's actually a series on youtube from an old teaching method.
It is amazing, evething I have learned I learned from this)
-(Greek-Russian) Τα ρωσικά χωρίς δάσκαλο

Also I have a lovely Russian cousin( actually my cousin's wife) that is always there to
help me out, Russian italki friends that can help and a Russian pen-pal that has sent
me music, movies and books in Russian.
Last but not least, on the internet or youtube one can find a lot of material about
vocabulary and grammar and is able to hear the accent.

So no more excuses for me. These resources are enough to learn even the hardest of
languages!

I will give me a years time, until I start the next language, whatever that may be.
However I already know that it is going to be a very hard year- I am taking national
exams that will determine my studies, the most vital exams in my country.
I will not be able to study Russian so much, so I say I must do about 30-45 minutes a
day!
Apart from Russian, I am doing intensive Ancient Greek and Latin for the
nationals exams(god I hate Latin) , as well as German .

So I thought I should also mentain my level in German and Spanish
(especially Spanish, I have really let go there..) by watching movies in those
languages or reading books.

So that's it! I'll post every two- three days what I have done and my progress, and see
where this gets me!
I wish me a good start! :D

ps: If anyone wants to take on Russian with me, please say so. We could keep each other
motivated.

Edited by zografialep on 05 May 2014 at 2:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mrs. Dalloway
Triglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4779 days ago

70 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2, Russian
Studies: GermanA2, French, Danish

Message 2 of 26
06 May 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Russian is a very peculiar and special language, I don't think you'll regret this
decision. I learnt it in full immersion and I can only imagine how frustrating it must be
to learn autonomously. But definitely keep working on it! :)

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3679 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 26
06 May 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Good luck with your πανελλήνιες and καλό κουράγιο :D We had the same direction in studies, and I wish you to succeed in getting your dream university.

Russian is studied a lot in this forum so there will be no lack of support.

But I do hope you'll study for your exams more, focus there and leave languages for untill after all that. There used to be very cheap classes for students at the φοιτητική λέσχη, at Ιπποκράτους st., and they provided great quality lessons and teachers. I hope that is not ruined along with everything else.

I'll be checking you!!!

:)

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
Joined 3949 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 

Message 4 of 26
07 May 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Penelope wrote:
Good luck with your πανελλήνιες and καλό κουράγιο :D We had the same
direction in studies, and I wish you to succeed in getting your dream university.

Russian is studied a lot in this forum so there will be no lack of support.

But I do hope you'll study for your exams more, focus there and leave languages for
untill after all that. There used to be very cheap classes for students at the
φοιτητική λέσχη, at Ιπποκράτους st., and they provided great quality lessons and
teachers. I hope that is not ruined along with everything else.

I'll be checking you!!!

:)

Χαχαχαχ thanks so much for your wishes! I hope I do well in πανελλήνιες too !:P
Yes you're right, I have thought about it a lot. Actually I barely have time to sleep
now, much less study such a demanding language... But I don't know, I wanted to learn
russian, since εκτη δημοτικου, and because it is an anusual language nobody took me
seriously and now εχω μεινει με το παραπονο ! :P
I know I probably use this ''extra time'' for more ancient greek and latin, but I just
can't. Even since I started φροντιστηριο, I feel like my life is over(the one I go to
is very pressing)- I dropped out of literally everything (piano, violin, Spanish,
german). I just need something for me... And I need to feel that these last years of
school are not completely wasted. :P
I still have 1 year to go.. But ok, until now I've done well. If I see myself getting
worse or not being able to cope I'll have to stop russian for a while :/
Yes, this in Ιπποκρατους still works as far as I know! It is great for those living
in Athens, but I'll probaby have to move to another city for my studies. :)

Anyway I don't know why σε πρηζω'' with those. I actually wrote a whole paragraph!
Sorry :P
It's probably because I'm very stressful, and need to convince myself Im doing th right
thing xP

Thanks for the support again!! I'll check on you too ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
Joined 3949 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 

Message 5 of 26
07 May 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
1st day- 5/5/2014

Russian

-watched episode 11 from the Russian World series and wrote down some things. (40-45
min)
Basically I learned some new vocalbulary, the difference between и and а and to difine
the location of some things.
- I also listened to a lot of Russian songs- my favourites now are from the movie ''
Frozen'' by Disney. They are adorable!
Let it go )

Spanish + German

I did nothing apart from listening to songs, sadly... I wish I had watched some short
film at least..! Currently I listen a lot to

Tranquila(spanish)   and
Lieder- Adel Tawil (German)
If someone know any good songs in those languages please share :)

2nd day- 6/5/2014

I did nothing- apart from music. I had to unexpectedly study a lot of ancient greek and
had time for nothing...

3rd day- 7/5/2014

I did Russian only. I learned a lot of vocabulary and wrote down some new unknown
words.
Then I did half of the 3rd chapter in the ''Teach Yourself Russian'' series, and
learned more iregular verbs- I also revisioned the other conjugations to make sure I
know everything.
Also, I learned how to ask and give exact directions and ways to be polite and since I
have trouble with the spelling and reading fast the cyrillic alphabet, I wrote down and
read aloud a lot of sentences to get used the the feel of the language.
I still can't say Здра́вствуйте though; my mounth just isnt able to say this thing :P

My Russian coousin passed by my house, and of course I told her of my tries. She was
hapy and said that we can speaj together, but she doesnt believe I'll be able to keep
this up- I'm always ''learning'' russian. This was a great motivation boost; I'll just
prove her wrong and surprise her :D

Next time I'm doing the Imperative and the accusative case, the second case I learned,
so I'm pretty excited.

Until now I'm doing well- considering the circumstances, so I'm very happy, and looking
forward to tomorrows' lesson.

Until my next entry, see you :)

Edited by zografialep on 11 May 2014 at 12:20pm

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3679 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 26
08 May 2014 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
You can rant and vent all you need, and I'll be happy to listen. This is a very stressfull time in anyone's life, so don't feel bad about expressing that. No, your life isn't over and nothing you ever learn is wasted. Soon you'll see your toil give good results and this hectic time will be gone forever. There isn't a better time than being a university student!

Здра́вствуйте is not pronounced clearly by the russians, I think. They "eat" a few letters saying it. Well done on your progress.

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
Joined 3949 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 

Message 7 of 26
11 May 2014 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Hello again! privyet!
Time for my next entry :D

4rth Day- 8/05/2014

I didn't have much time, so I took my Russian to school and studied at physics class- I
was not going to understand anything anyway :p
So I memorized what I learned the previous day, since I had covered a lot of material
and remember all that was really hard.
Also, I made small dialogs, about asking directions and simple things like that.
I emphasised on the writing part, since while I can read the russian alphabet in the
computer form, the hand-written form seems intelligible to me, and my hand can't write
that well or fast. Now I have significantly gotten better!

5th Day- 9/05/2014

I didn't have much time for studying again, so I just wrote a few dialogs to stay in
touch and not forget what I learned.
But then at night I went to italki(a website where people can find language partners)
and a Russian guy talked to me in English. We kept on talking about various things-
ourselves, our countries, politics etc- until he said ''sorry English is not my mother-
tongue, now let's talk in russian!'' (you will hardly find russians speaking good
english sadly... though that works great for learners of russian!)
At this point I was excited, but pretty much thinking that his English is much better
than my russian will ever be. He talked to me, and explained some basics of the russian
language when I didn't understand him. So with his help and the help of my lovely
dictionary I managed not only to understand, but also reply! :D
Then we talked in skype , until very late , and I could also hear the accent.
This experience- not so much of an experience but anyway- has left me shocked. I
practiced russian for what, five days? And I could talk! And I learned so much by
trying to find the words and using them, things I'd never remember on my own. I guess
that is the proper way to learn a language- practice. Grammar books aren't of much help
if you're not in the position to struggle for the words to make the message understood
to the other person.russian has gained the favourite language status for now haha :P

6th Day- 10/05/2014
The only thing I did was go through the vocabulary we disgussed with my russian skype
friend.
At night though we talked again. We were watching eurovision and commenting on the
songs. He also talked to my brother and a friend who had come over, haha. the internet
is miraculous, uniting people from different parts of the world..
I love talking to native speakers, because they convey their country's culture as well.
I've learned a lot about russia now, which has made my interest in the language grow.

(Everybody was shocked to see the Russian at my school, which i had not predicted. I
recieved lot of is-she-crazy glances, but it's ok, I guess it's normal. I have a half
russian friend who doesn't speak any russian, since his parents didn't teach him, and
he was trying to get a hang of the language with me! Also my Moldovan friend, who
speaks both russian and romanian(and greek of course) kept asking me if there's
something wrong with my brain for learning it, but then pushed me to converse in
russian with him :D though i told him another time, since I'm so bad right now that we
wouldn't be able to say much. Nevertheless, I am very happy and proud of myself! I've
learned so much that I never thought possible . Can't wait to see what I'll learn
next!!

Edited by zografialep on 11 May 2014 at 12:21pm

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
Joined 3949 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 

Message 8 of 26
15 May 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
7th/8th/9th Day- 11/05+ 12/05+ 13/05

Soooo all these days I haven't updated at all! Nothing happend , and my studies went on
as usual but I was too bored to write anything.. The problem now is that I don't
remember what I did all these days ago! I just have vague idea, so I'll write down what
I can recall.

I studied words again, and used the ''Teach Yourself Russian'' book for vocabulary- i'm
still in the 3rd chapter. I learned the Imperative(easy thank god!) and the Accusative
case. Now I can pretty much hold a basic conversation- where only the present tense,
little to no adjectives and only three of the seven cases of the russian language are
used- but a conversation nevertheless!
I continued chatting with my Russian skype friend, and he helped me a lot! He says
useful slang expessions that one doesn't find in books and shows me parts of the
russian culture. He insists on speaking russian, which is good for my case since I've
learned so much without having to press myself to memorize.
He showed me some pictures outside his house and helped me say: 'I see the road, the
sky, the trees, the car etc'' , so now I can indentify objects in russian :D

Apart from that, I chatted in German with a Turkish boy that lived in Germany. My
german is at a fluent level so I didn't have any problems understanding, but practicing
is always good!

10th Day- 14/05/2014

Today I just practiced some words at school. I was so tired, I was studying for school
and I could barely move my hand to write. Plus I had a panic ''attack''(not really,
just an incredible anxciety I couldn't shake off), so all this combined with a fight
with parents and a terrible mood left me exhausted... As a result I didn't progress
much, but I guess sometimes it's logical to take some time off.

Overall I think I'm doing great :)

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version