brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6461 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 249 of 553
13 January 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Mae wrote:
@BrunUgle: We've been asking for feedback for quite some time. Unfortunately we don't
know if all members are still on board.

Here are the missing log links from two members:
Jeff_lindqvist
Marya

Still no feedback from: Ignis Fatuus / Veel / araul.
No feedback if they are officially on board: Jonhello / limey75

Did the initial enthusiasm went up in smoke?

EDIT: I don't mind accepting new members, if they are willing to (1) work on their
languages and (2) be an active member of this team.
Unofficial groupies are welcome anyway! ;-)

Thank you for the links.

There are always a few that disappear in the first month or so, or who never even get started.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5175 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 250 of 553
13 January 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
SECOND VIKING CHALLENGE

Write 3 sentences where you try to use as many of the words which in English are spelled with capital letters,
and in Norwegian (and as far as I know also Swedish and Danish) are spelled with regular letters as possible.

I know I’m a little late and I’m still not sure where the challenges are supposed to be posted, but I’ll add mine
here.

1 - Jag arbetar måndag till fredag men jag gillar att läsa romaner i helgen: just nu läser jag Krig och fred*.

2 - Jag firade jul med en stockholmare som flyttade till Rom i augusti.

3 - Om du vill arbeta i Förenta staterna måste du tala flytande engelska och spanska.

*In Swedish, only the first word in film and book titles is capitalized.

I see no mistakes here, but I'll leave the actual corrections for the Swedish text to Jeff. Thank you for pointing
out a point I had not thought to mention though. The thing about films and book titles was not on my radar,
but it is the same for Norwegian.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4400 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 251 of 553
13 January 2013 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
@Emme

Jag arbetar måndag till fredag men (jag) gillar att läsa romaner på helgerna: just nu läser jag Krig och fred.

Depending on the context, "i helgen" means either "last weekend" or "next weekend", much like the English "on the weekend". Or so I think. Expressions of time are tricky.

The rest of it looks correct to me.

Edited by sans-serif on 13 January 2013 at 11:39am

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4198 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 252 of 553
13 January 2013 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Just a quick question, we post the Viking Challenges in our own log?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5175 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 253 of 553
13 January 2013 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
I have another little cultural gem for you today, from the Swedish sphere: Kullamannen. As I have probably
told you, I grew up in the dark ages, where we had one Norwegian TV channel only, and just 30 minutes a
day for kids. The authorities figured it was unhealthy for kids to watch more than that. However, we had
access to the Swedish channel - and in Sweden at some point during my childhood, they even introduced a
second TV channel. This meant that in my generation Swedish comes as natural to us as breathing, and that
a lot of Swedish culture feels like our own.

Now Kullamannen, who was a mystery intended for youngsters, was the first crime story I ever watched and
it prepared me for a life long love for murder mysteries and crimes. One of the scariest characters was a guy
who spoke Swedish with a heavy American accent. I still remember my blood almost freezing to ice in some
of the scenes. If you find them considerably less scary today, keep in mind that when I saw it I was only 5
years old, and unlike kids today, I had not seen 3000 murders on screen already. I have not dared to see
through it, I have just seen the first couple of minutes, because I am afraid it will destroy all the magic, but
from a linguistic point of view it should be fairly easy to follow. Have a good time! You"ll find further episodes
on YouTube if you are interested.

KULLAMANNEN
5 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6744 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 254 of 553
13 January 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much, I watched the beginning. I think I'll wait a few months and watch everything when my Swedish gets better (or I run out of the subtitled stuff). But I'll definitely watch this one!

I wish I had acquired an extra language (and culture input) this way... I've got a few friends who watched quite a lot of German satellite TV as kids, but I didn't.

And I actually miss the times when there weren't any 24/7 cartoon channels and kids had to wait for their time slots (which in my childhood were longer than 30 minuts a day but still not very long, with just a few TV channels available).

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4548 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 255 of 553
13 January 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Brukar de prata med någon slags 60-talet brytning? Ibland har jag jättesvårt att förstå,
ibland går det alldeles bra.

Edited by tarvos on 13 January 2013 at 3:09pm

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4400 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 256 of 553
13 January 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the link, Solfrid. I like the oldies vibe the show has, and it's interesting to compare the way they speak to the stockholmska of today. That American guy is pretty creepy, I must admit.

How did you pick up your Swedish, by the way? Passive understanding has clearly never been an issue for you, but what about active skills? Have you ever studied Swedish per se or did you just start speaking it based on all the input you'd had?

EDIT
@tarvos: The kids, at least, seem to speak an older version of the Stockholm dialect, though the prosody is a bit odd at points. I'm not as sure about the adults. It was surprisingly hard to understand at first.

Edited by sans-serif on 13 January 2013 at 3:54pm

This discussion contains 553 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version