United States
Joined 5437 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Dutch, French

Message 33 of 69
23 February 2010 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Question about MSA/colloquials:

Does anyone speak in MSA? And likewise does anyone write in the colloquials?

Like for example, do people from different countries revert to MSA when speaking to each other, or do they just work it out in one or both colloquials?

For a local news source like Al-Ahram (www.ahram.org.eg) - is this written in MSA or in Egyptian Arabic?

Sorry if this is obvious or has been discussed already, but I'm just starting to dabble with Arabic, and I'm having a hard time sorting out sources and figuring out where to begin...

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6607 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 34 of 69
23 February 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged 
While pan-Arab media is normally done in MSA, I seem to recall that Mexican soap operas, hugely popular in much
of the Arab world, are dubbed into Egyptian Arabic, and for that reason, a lot of Arabs refer to the Egyptian dialect
as "Mexican".

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 35 of 69
23 February 2010 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
Captain Haddock wrote:
While pan-Arab media is normally done in MSA, I seem to recall that Mexican soap operas, hugely popular in much
of the Arab world, are dubbed into Egyptian Arabic, and for that reason, a lot of Arabs refer to the Egyptian dialect
as "Mexican".

Hmmm, I have never heard of Mexican soap opera dubbed into Egyptian. All the Mexican soap operas were and still dubbed into MSA, while Turkish ones into Syrian dialect.
Now they started to dubb American movies into Syrian dialect and Hindi movies into Gulf dialect.

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 36 of 69
23 February 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
trickypig wrote:

Like for example, do people from different countries revert to MSA when speaking to each other, or do they just work it out in one or both colloquials?

For a local news source like Al-Ahram (www.ahram.org.eg) - is this written in MSA or in Egyptian Arabic?

Sorry if this is obvious or has been discussed already, but I'm just starting to dabble with Arabic, and I'm having a hard time sorting out sources and figuring out where to begin...

Thanks!

Nobody speak MSA with other Arabs, but with foreigners we do.
When i speak with a Morrocan man for example, he knows that i don't understand a word of his dialect so he speaks simple Arabic, something in between MSA and his dialect and mine so i would understand what he is talking about.
Mostly, and this can be considered as a rule, Morrocans understand other Arabic dialects but the others don't understand Morrocan dialect, and so they are the ones who simplify their talk.
In all media, news and programs, it's all spoken in MSA except of serials.
As for writing in dialects, it can only happen in internet, in forums and stuff.
All news sources whether in TV or internet are in MSA.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6607 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 37 of 69
23 February 2010 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
Kinan wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
While pan-Arab media is normally done in MSA, I seem to recall that
Mexican soap operas, hugely popular in much
as "Mexican".

Hmmm, I have never heard of Mexican soap opera dubbed into Egyptian. All the Mexican soap operas were and still
dubbed into MSA, while Turkish ones into Syrian dialect.
Now they started to dubb American movies into Syrian dialect and Hindi movies into Gulf dialect.

Maybe I got it backwards, and it's the Egyptians who call MSA "Mexican" because of soaps in MSA.

Al-Irelandi
United Kingdom
Joined 5374 days ago

111 posts - 177 votes 

Message 38 of 69
25 February 2010 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Kinan wrote:
trickypig wrote:

Thanks!

Nobody speak MSA with other Arabs, but with foreigners we do.

Just a few points yaa kinaan,

'MSA'\Fus-haa is spoken as a language within Islaamic studies discourse (and between the foreign students it is a common lingua-franca), to name some institutes: Madina Islaamic University, Umm ul-Qura, and so on. Also it is used in Islaamic 'duroos' and 'muHaadharaat' betweeen the teachers/asaatidha or 'Ulamaa and their 'tulaab'/students.

Likewise, there are some Arabs (and non-Arabs) who do in fact communicate in 'MSA'/Fus-haa (and use arabized forms over 'dakheel' forms, e.g 'tilfaaz' over 'tilfazyoon' and 'masrif' over 'bank' wa ilaal-akheer). I have come across their likes. It may not be the majority of the people, but nonetheless, it is still spoken, which negates the point you made that it isn't.

Edited by al-Irlandee on 25 February 2010 at 2:02pm

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 39 of 69
25 February 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I didn't mean the schools and universities.
In school teachers spoke to us in MSA all the time, but i meant Arabs don't speak MSA with each other in regular meetings or when hanging out together.

aquablue
United States
Joined 6221 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 40 of 69
25 February 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Do educated arabs know how to speak MSA in general?

How long does it take to learn a dialect once one can speak MSA? A dialect like Egyptian or Gulf?

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version