69 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
flabbergasted
Triglot
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 6202 days ago

75 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Latvian
Studies: Arabic (classical), French, German, Italian, Spanish, Mandarin, Serbo-Croatian, Catalan, Persian

Message 57 of 69
04 March 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Another question for Kinan. I wonder, when two Arabs talk to each other in MSA on some
television talk show, how does it sound to you? Do you feel that they are unnatural and
too formal? Can such a conversation happen in real life, let's say between an Egyptian
and a Lebanese sitting next to each other on a train?
1 person has voted this message useful

aquablue
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 58 of 69
04 March 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Kinan wrote:
Yeah ofcourse.

Of course, what?

So, gulf or egyptian for my needs?

Edited by aquablue on 04 March 2010 at 10:11pm

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5412 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 59 of 69
04 March 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
Kinan wrote:
Yeah ofcourse.

Of course, what?

So, gulf or egyptian for my needs?

Ofcoursethey would understand each other.
As for your needs, i need to know them first..but generally Egyptian is way more popular than Gulf one.

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5412 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 60 of 69
04 March 2010 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
flabbergasted wrote:
Another question for Kinan. I wonder, when two Arabs talk to each other in MSA on some
television talk show, how does it sound to you? Do you feel that they are unnatural and
too formal? Can such a conversation happen in real life, let's say between an Egyptian
and a Lebanese sitting next to each other on a train?

On television all the talk shows are in MSA and so it dosn't sound unnatural to me, but it would if i hear 2 people speaking MSA to each other in the street.
If for example a Lebanese and an Egyptian sitting together then everyone of them would speak with his own dialect and it would be understood completly to the other.

aquablue
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 61 of 69
04 March 2010 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
My interests are in the gulf states due to their fantastic development and standard of living. However, I want to be able to go to Lebanon and Egypt too and be able to understand. So, which dialect should I learn?

Edited by aquablue on 06 March 2010 at 3:02am

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6075 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 62 of 69
27 September 2011 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
My interests are in the gulf states due to their fantastic development and standard of living.
However, I want to be able to go to Lebanon and Egypt too and be able to understand. So, which dialect should I
learn?

Work though FSI's Saudi/Hijazi Arabic course. It will give you a great base to work off of. Hijazi is ( so I am told)
easily understood in the Levant and in Egypt. It is also pretty close to MSA in terms of vocabulary. The course is
excellent and explains things very well. Couple this with the FSI series in Modern Written Arabic ( essentially MSA )
and you have an excellent ( and free!) foundation in Arabic.   I am working through these courses right now and can
understand Egyptian fairly well ... Levantine not as well but I haven't worked at it very hard.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4735 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 63 of 69
27 September 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
aquablue wrote:
So, which dialect should I learn?
   It's a trick question!

Arabic dialects remind me of Spanish and Portuguese. People who are fluent in one can
understand the other, but those of us who are learning need to treat them distinctly.

Same with Arabic. Egyptians and Lebanese native speakers can understand each other.
But a beginning student who studies and speaks a bit of Levantine might not
understand a word of Egyptian Arabic, and the Egyptians might not understand a word of
your accent, even though it was fine in the Levant! I know this from experience.

Start with learning the alphabet and basic sentence structure. Might as well use MSA
books for this. Then, learn whichever dialect matches your interest.

(and no one outside the Maghreb seems to understand anyone between Tripoli and
Marrakesh).
2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6118 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 64 of 69
28 September 2011 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
aquablue wrote:
My interests are in the gulf states due to their fantastic development and standard of living.
However, I want to be able to go to Lebanon and Egypt too and be able to understand. So, which dialect should I
learn?

Work though FSI's Saudi/Hijazi Arabic course. It will give you a great base to work off of. Hijazi is ( so I am told)
easily understood in the Levant and in Egypt. It is also pretty close to MSA in terms of vocabulary. The course is
excellent and explains things very well. Couple this with the FSI series in Modern Written Arabic ( essentially MSA )
and you have an excellent ( and free!) foundation in Arabic.   I am working through these courses right now and can
understand Egyptian fairly well ... Levantine not as well but I haven't worked at it very hard.

I worked through the FSI Hejazi course last year. The dialect does seem to be pretty comprehensible to Levantines and Egyptians, as well as not deviating much from MSA. More recently I have been concentrating on MSA itself.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version