translator2
United States
Joined 6758 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 69
03 March 2010 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Question:
If a non-native speaker of Arabic is speaking to a native speaker of Arabic and makes a grammatical error or uses the wrong vowel combination in a word, will the native speaker usually attribute this to the fact that the person is a non-native speaker or will the person assume that this structure or word belongs to another dialect?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English
Studies: Russian, Spanish

Message 50 of 69
03 March 2010 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Hmmmm, nice question.
If i know the speron speaking to me is a foreigner then i wuld assume he is making mistakes because of that.
Having said that, i don't think there is any grammar difference between any dialect, the main diffrence between dialects are vocabularies and the way of pronouncing words, whether it's fast like coastal Syrian cities, long like damascus and Lebanese dialects, heavy like gulf dialects etc..

Woodpecker
Triglot
United States
Joined 5650 days ago

351 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)
Studies: Arabic (classical)

Message 51 of 69
03 March 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Are you talking about the vowelling of verbs, sort of thing? For example, I swear that in
Alexandria they put nothing but fatha on verbs, whereas in Cairo the safest guess is a
kasra.

Ayazid
Czech Republic
Joined 5416 days ago

14 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Czech*

Message 52 of 69
03 March 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Kinan wrote:
Hmmmm, nice question.
If i know the speron speaking to me is a foreigner then i wuld assume he is making mistakes because of that.
Having said that, i don't think there is any grammar difference between any dialect, the main diffrence between dialects are vocabularies and the way of pronouncing words, whether it's fast like coastal Syrian cities, long like damascus and Lebanese dialects, heavy like gulf dialects etc..

I think that there are certain grammatical differences between various Arabic dialects, although their grammar is largely similar. For example, as you know, in Egypt they use the demonstrative pronouns ده, دي, دول instead of هذا or ها etc. and they usually go after a noun. In Maghrebi dialects, they have different forms of first person singular and plural, for example نكتب instead of the Eastern أكتب in singular and نكتبو instead of the Eastern form نكتب in plural.

Edited by Ayazid on 04 March 2010 at 12:02pm

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 53 of 69
03 March 2010 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Ayazid wrote:
Kinan wrote:
Hmmmm, nice question.

I think that there are certain grammatical differences between various Arabic dialects, although their grammar is largely similar. For example, as you know, in Egypt day use the demonstrative pronouns ده, دي, دول instead of هذا or ها etc. and they usually go after a noun. In Maghrebi dialects, they have different forms of first person singular and plural, for example نكتب instead of the Eastern أكتب in singular and نكتبو instead of the Eastern form نكتب in plural.

You example of the Egyptian dialect is just a matter of using different words, also هذا comes after a noun in MSA.
As for the Morrocan dialect, i don't know for sure about it as i can't really figure what they are talking about anyway :)

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 54 of 69
03 March 2010 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Woodpecker wrote:
Are you talking about the vowelling of verbs, sort of thing? For example, I swear that in
Alexandria they put nothing but fatha on verbs, whereas in Cairo the safest guess is a
kasra.

Yeah exactly, dialects can vary only by saying the vowels in different way, in Homs they use ضمة in the beginning of every word, and in Damascus they make all the vowels very long.

aquablue
United States
Joined 6221 days ago

150 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 55 of 69
04 March 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
If one is interested in the Gulf countries and Jordan/Levantine regions, is Egyptian still the best to learn? Would Gulf be understood in the Levant?

Kinan
Diglot
Syrian Arab Republic
Joined 5405 days ago

234 posts - 279 votes 

Message 56 of 69
04 March 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Yeah ofcourse.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version