William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6111 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 65 of 69
01 October 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
Arabic spoken dialects seem to have a relationship with the written language/MSA that is like a Venn diagram. They all overlap to one degree or another with it, some more than others. And there is always a part that doesn't, otherwise they would not be dialects any more. Hejazi seems to overlap more than most, though in cases where it doesn't, this is often the result of Egyptian Arabic influence.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6068 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 66 of 69
01 October 2011 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
William Camden wrote:
Arabic spoken dialects seem to have a relationship with the written language/MSA that is like a Venn
diagram. They all overlap to one degree or another with it, some more than others. And there is always a part that doesn't,
otherwise they would not be dialects any more. Hejazi seems to overlap more than most, though in cases where it doesn't, this is
often the result of Egyptian Arabic influence.

What a great analogy! Colloquial Arabic is somewhat of a Venn diagram ( a very large overlapping Venn diagram) This is what i
found in the introductory material from the Saudi course:

The Hijazi dialect is used throughout the country (Saudi Arabia) for government and commercial purposes, and has become
the most widely-understood dialect in the Arabian Peninsula. The Hijazi dialectis not "pure" Saudi Arabic, and reflects recent
borrowings from other dialects, especially Egyptian, Jordanian and Palestinian
; for this reason, sometimes one word or
expression was selected from several which may be heard, and sometimes alternative expressions are introduced, since two or even
three forms may be in frequent use.

No dialect is pure and they tend to influence one another. With globalization and easy access to media from other parts of the Arab
world I'm sure these influences will only increase in the future!

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6111 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 67 of 69
02 October 2011 at 2:36pm | IP Logged 
The introduction to FSI Hejazi made no special claims about the dialect's intelligibility outside the Arabian Peninsula, but it does seem to be a useful lingua franca choice for at least the eastern part of the Arabic-speaking world, from Egypt to Iraq. That may be one of the reasons it is the Arabic dialect most extensively covered by FSI, even if this is not explicitly stated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Renaçido
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4923 days ago

34 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Latin

Message 68 of 69
02 October 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Egyptian is the most widely understood dialect in the Arab world, considering how huge and pervasive its media production and marketing in other countries is. I've been told that Egyptians themselves often don't have much exposure to other dialects, since the country consumes mostly what it also produces in terms of media. About visiting Egypt, I don't know what to say regarding the current post-revolution situation though...

A problem I see about learning Hejazi is that you absolutely can't visit the Hejaz (or any of Saudi Arabia) as a typical tourist, you must be either sponsored by somebody approved by the Saudi Chamber of Commerce, or go as part of a group in pilgrimage to Mecca with a local mosque (done via mosques' contact with embassies of Saudi Arabia), or go on a tightly guided tour. (Unless you're a citizen of Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, the UAE or Oman—then you can freely go around as much as you want.)

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4490 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 69 of 69
26 February 2013 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
Question:
If a non-native speaker of Arabic is speaking to a native speaker of Arabic and makes a grammatical error or uses the wrong vowel combination in a word, will the native speaker usually attribute this to the fact that the person is a non-native speaker or will the person assume that this structure or word belongs to another dialect?

Yemeni seems to have so much variation that my friend doesn't care what vowel I put in. Seriously.

Also, I noticed most articles posted here do not mention Yemeni at all. Is it due to the extreme variation? Or maybe it's just not as popular as Egyptian/Levantine dialects?

Oh, btw, what is a Venn diagram?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version